Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Choosing a Graphics Card, 6870 or 7850?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
October 29, 2012 9:15:30 AM

I am thinking of buying a new graphics card next week for about 160 Euros (about 208 USD). There are two cards which i am choosing between, the

SAPPHIRE TECHNOLOGY Radeon HD 7850 Dual-X - 1 GB GDDR5 - PCI-Express 3.0 (197.74$)
http://www.pixmania.si/si/uk/12784835/art/sapphire-tech...
Latest technology (22nm), good performance, runs cool... note: this is the 1GB version

and the

AMD Radeon HD 6870 OEM - 1 GB GDDR5 - PCI-Express 2.1 (171.89$)
http://www.pixmania.si/si/uk/11391849/art/amd/radeon-hd...
I know it has a loud cooler and is a bit old, but it still performs quite nice.

I will overclock and play quite demanding games (Metro 2033, Just Cause 2, Crysis 2 and OpenTTD :p ) at 1080p resolution.
I am a nvidia fan boy but there isn't such a bang for buck on their side (the GTX 650 Ti isn't as good as any of these cards at the same price). I am from EU, so stores like newegg and ncix aren't an option for me. I have a 650W PSU so it would handle both of these cards. I have an AMD Phenom II 1090T @ 3.7GHz. My current graphics card is an old 9400 GT which i got for 10€.

Sorry for my bad english..
October 29, 2012 9:38:24 AM

m11rtin said:
I am thinking of buying a new graphics card next week for about 160 Euros (about 208 USD). There are two cards which i am choosing between, the

SAPPHIRE TECHNOLOGY Radeon HD 7850 Dual-X - 1 GB GDDR5 - PCI-Express 3.0 (197.74$)
http://www.pixmania.si/si/uk/12784835/art/sapphire-tech...
Latest technology (22nm), good performance, runs cool... note: this is the 1GB version

and the

AMD Radeon HD 6870 OEM - 1 GB GDDR5 - PCI-Express 2.1 (171.89$)
http://www.pixmania.si/si/uk/11391849/art/amd/radeon-hd...
I know it has a loud cooler and is a bit old, but it still performs quite nice.

I will overclock and play quite demanding games (Metro 2033, Just Cause 2, Crysis 2 and OpenTTD :p ) at 1080p resolution.
I am a nvidia fan boy but there isn't such a bang for buck on their side (the GTX 650 Ti isn't as good as any of these cards at the same price). I am from EU, so stores like newegg and ncix aren't an option for me. I have a 650W PSU so it would handle both of these cards. I have an AMD Phenom II 1090T @ 3.7GHz. My current graphics card is an old 9400 GT which i got for 10€.

Sorry for my bad english..


Hehe... even my old gfx card was a 9400gt...

Anyways I would suggest going for the 7850... cause it can be overclocked very well...

But u may have to give up high textures and maybe some AA bcoz of the 1 GB memory... (at 1080p resolution)

And some free advice: try using the 9400gt as a dedicated physX card... i haven't done it (yet)... but it should be doable
October 29, 2012 9:50:45 AM

getbacktosrinu said:
Hehe... even my old gfx card was a 9400gt...

Anyways I would suggest going for the 7850... cause it can be overclocked very well...

But u may have to give up high textures and maybe some AA bcoz of the 1 GB memory... (at 1080p resolution)

And some free advice: try using the 9400gt as a dedicated physX card... i haven't done it (yet)... but it should be doable


i tried googling it, but a dedicated physx card must have at least 32 CUDA cores, the 9400 gt only has 16 :/  . i tought i could use it for hybird physx but i can't :( 
Related resources
October 29, 2012 9:55:34 AM

m11rtin said:
i tried googling it, but a dedicated physx card must have at least 32 CUDA cores, the 9400 gt only has 16 :/  . i tought i could use it for hybird physx but i can't :( 


too bad...

but thanks for the info.
October 29, 2012 10:32:35 AM

thank you! ;) 
October 29, 2012 8:17:44 PM

any more advice? anyone??
October 29, 2012 8:21:36 PM

I would get the 7850. The overclockability of that card is big. You can easily get it from stock to 1200+MHz. That birngs it to performances just a shade lower than stock 7950.
October 29, 2012 8:23:17 PM

Oh and get at least 2gbs of VRam so you'll be able to handle the full HD resolutions.
October 30, 2012 8:21:41 AM

the thing is that i can get the 1 gb version for 150$ and the 2gb version for 200$ so there is a big difference in price...
!