7970 GHz vs. GTX 680

Is there any performance difference between Quad Crossfire and Dual Crossfire for the 7970 Ghz?
Which is better: Quad Crossfire 7970 GHz or 3-Way SLI GTX 680 FTW+?
47 answers Last reply
More about 7970
  1. The quad 7970 will beat the hell out of the tri-sli 680. Also you can overclock the 7970 way more. The 680 is left in the dust against the 7970 when the 7970 is overclocked.
  2. Four 7970s GHz editions will beat three GTX 680s by a large margin. The individual cards are very similar in performance. The 7970s also tend to overclock extremely well.
  3. Get the vanilla 7870s, and oc them. The performance increase is substantial.
  4. How many monitors are you planning to plug in? 5?

    Even with 5 I would go with 3-Way SLI. Quad-fire may have too many compatibility/performance scaling problems. I would say tri-fire is an overall better solution than quadfire.

    Anyway, 3-Way SLI, even if it has similar framerate as tri-fire tends to give more consistent framerates and thus feel somewhat smoother.
  5. lchrisk said:
    Get the vanilla 7870s, and oc them. The performance increase is substantial.

    Or he can shell out the extra 50 and get the 7950. Overclocked it can outperform the stock 680's. I have clocked mine to 1235MHz.
  6. lchrisk said:
    Get the vanilla 7870s, and oc them. The performance increase is substantial.

    Something tells me that if he's thinking about spending $1600 on video cards, he's not too concerned about cost effectiveness :lol:
  7. willard said:
    Four 7970s GHz editions will beat three GTX 680s by a large margin. The individual cards are very similar in performance. The 7970s also tend to overclock extremely well.

    True. But only if a game can take advantage of it. If resolution is not high enough he may see worse performance.
  8. yyk71200 said:
    True. But only if a game can take advantage of it. If resolution is not high enough he may see worse performance.

    He may be using multiple monitors though. If he/she's using multiple monitors then the crossfire/sli will be necessary. And we can exclude the worse performance issue.
  9. yyk71200 said:
    If resolution is not high enough he may see worse performance.

    That doesn't make any sense. By reducing the load performance drops? Not how that works.
  10. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/lNUE

    Don't judge, I love overkill. This is my first desktop in a very, very long time. Anyways, I can't find a power supply to support this build. Any recommendations? and is there anything anybody would change to this build?
  11. willard said:
    That doesn't make any sense. By reducing the load performance drops? Not how that works.

    I am talking in relative terms. Quad-fire may have worse performance than tri-fire because it has higher overhead. Only at resolutions when tri-fire starts being a bottleneck, quad starts being faster.
  12. Remur said:
    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/lNUE

    Don't judge, I love overkill. This is my first desktop in a very, very long time. Anyways, I can't find a power supply to support this build. Any recommendations? and is there anything anybody would change to this build?

    Nice. If you decide to go with tri-SLI, get 4GB versions. 2GB will be a bottleneck at very high resolutions.
  13. willard said:
    That doesn't make any sense. By reducing the load performance drops? Not how that works.


    believe it or not, some games dont give any performance increase when you add a 2nd gpu, etc.
  14. yyk71200 said:
    Nice. If you decide to go with tri-SLI, get 4GB versions. 2GB will be a bottleneck at very high resolutions.


    I'm either going to with Quadfire 7970 GHz:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202001

    or 3-Way SLI GTX 680 FTW+:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130794
  15. The quad 7970 would be the better option over the tri GTX 680s. The 7970s can be overclocked to performances that the 680 can't ever reach. But the choice is yours. Either take these 7970s http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202001 . Or these 680s http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127695
  16. Is anyone else concerned about the buggy behavior or quad-fire? People with tri-fire and quad-fire have often run into support issues, and bugs. Tri-fire and tri-sli usually give a more enjoyable experience.

    What is the monitor setup you are going for? There comes a point that the extra power may not be worth the problems that often go with it.
  17. willard said:
    That doesn't make any sense. By reducing the load performance drops? Not how that works.

    Some games don't take advantage of the second gpu. An example being GTA IV. It didn't pick up my second 7950 so only one was working in that game.
  18. bystander said:
    Is anyone else concerned about the buggy behavior or quad-fire? People with tri-fire and quad-fire have often run into support issues, and bugs. Tri-fire and tri-sli usually give a more enjoyable experience.

    What is the monitor setup you are going for? There comes a point that the extra power may not be worth the problems that often go with it.


    I was considering a triple monitor setup but I decided against it because seeing the black borders when looking between monitors would ruin the atmosphere of the games for me. Instead, I'm getting a 120Hz 24" BenQ monitor and another 24" ASUS monitor for multitasking. I do a lot of video editing.
  19. Remur said:
    I was considering a triple monitor setup but I decided against it because seeing the black borders when looking between monitors would ruin the atmosphere of the games for me. Instead, I'm getting a 120Hz 24" BenQ monitor and another 24" ASUS monitor for multitasking. I do a lot of video editing.


    You might consider the new ASUS 144hz monitor. Either way, 120hz+ is awesome from my experience, and I really like the 3D too.

    If you are going with 1 1080p monitor, even for 120hz, there is no reason at all to go beyond 3, and 2 is probably enough.

    A lot of the times you can't reach 120 FPS, it will be due to the CPU bottlenecking you.
  20. I agree... for 2 monitors stick with 2 GPU's.

    I would even consider a single 7990 or 690, and if anything I would consider buying a 2nd one AFTER confirming the single 7990/690 performance not quite enough yet.
  21. For gaming purposes, you really have to look at what you have as a single gaming monitor. The 2nd monitor will have next to 0 performance impact.
  22. 7970 = 250 Watts

    680 = 195 Watts.

    Quad 7970 = 1,000 Watts

    Tri 680 = 585 Watts.

    Your 680's will fix the supply capacity problem.

    With this kind of cash, you need to get yourself a 27 inch 2560X1440 or 30 inch 2560X1600 monitor. You can get them on EBAY with no dead pixels for about 340 and 720 bucks respectively.
  23. go tri fire with 7950's
  24. I'd go SLI with 670's or tri-SLI. The main reason is the 120hz BenQ monitor, which is likely a 3D vision 2 monitor.
  25. There's this thing you use when you have complicated setups, it makes them stable, and makes stuff work - its called "Drivers" - This is something AMD/ATI has failed to produce for the past 10 years.

    So, if you want paper to look great, you should go with 4x7970. If you want to actually use your system, I'd go with 680's.

    If you think I'm joking, call any local custom computer builder, and ask them what they refuse to install in clients computers because of wasted "warranty" time spent on diagnosing graphics card problems.
  26. 25000x16000 ..?

    If you wanna make something with that resolution, then go to quad solution..:D

    Overkill graphics must serve overkill monitor...deadly combination for your pocket..:D

    Well, i think it maybe too big resolution for any card for handle it..
  27. for the power supply question :
    if you are going for the Quadfire 7970 then you should go with one of these :
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703037
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207020

    and for the 3 way sli 680 pick one of these :
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207019
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151105
  28. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/lOm6

    I'll probably add a third monitor within a month or two after the build is complete and do some triple monitor gaming.
  29. Remur said:
    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/lOm6

    I'll probably add a third monitor within a month or two after the build is complete and do some triple monitor gaming.

    There is a problem with dual monitor gaming: Bezel Right in the center. Three top of the line GPUs is plenty for three monitors (save maybe for some rare cases like Witcher 2 with Ubersampling on). So, maybe you should do three GPUs and three monitors now?
  30. Tri-fire is really enough. It will also have less issues then going quad-fire.
  31. TriFire 7970 GHz or 3-Way GTX 680 4GB FTW+?
  32. Remur said:
    TriFire 7970 GHz or 3-Way GTX 680 4GB FTW+?

    Well... I would probably go with SLI i that case. SLI tends to deliver more consistent and thus smoother framerates even if the average framerates are similar. However, crossfire is still a good solution and should be cheaper.
  33. since you have $1600 for a gpu , why you didnt think to buy the fastest gpu on the planet now lol ( GTX 690 ) for $1000
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&N=-1&isNodeId=1&Description=gtx+690&x=0&y=0
  34. mrdowntownkiller said:
    since you have $1600 for a gpu , why you didnt think to buy the fastest gpu on the planet now lol ( GTX 690 ) for $1000
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&N=-1&isNodeId=1&Description=gtx+690&x=0&y=0


    It only has 2GB of VRAM and two GTX 680s are faster and cheaper.
  35. Could anybody here recommend a cheap and decently large desk?
  36. Remur said:
    It only has 2GB of VRAM and two GTX 680s are faster and cheaper.

    the gtx 690 has ( 4GB 512-bit GDDR5 ) , and you said ( TriFire 7970 GHz or 3-Way GTX 680 4GB FTW+ )
    which mean that you wants 3 680 4gb FTW $529 x 3= $1587

    HDD : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148845
  37. Remur said:
    TriFire 7970 GHz or 3-Way GTX 680 4GB FTW+?

    Go tri-fire.
  38. yyk71200 said:
    Well... I would probably go with SLI i that case. SLI tends to deliver more consistent and thus smoother framerates even if the average framerates are similar. However, crossfire is still a good solution and should be cheaper.

    I have both sli and crossfire setups. I have right now 7950's crossfired and they are as consistent as sli in frame rates. I think that they are equal in consistency.
  39. mrdowntownkiller said:
    since you have $1600 for a gpu , why you didnt think to buy the fastest gpu on the planet now lol ( GTX 690 ) for $1000
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&N=-1&isNodeId=1&Description=gtx+690&x=0&y=0

    Actually dual 7970's beat the 690 and for ~200 dollars cheaper.
  40. mrdowntownkiller said:
    the gtx 690 has ( 4GB 512-bit GDDR5 ) , and you said ( TriFire 7970 GHz or 3-Way GTX 680 4GB FTW+ )
    which mean that you wants 3 680 4gb FTW $529 x 3= $1587

    HDD : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148845


    There is only 2GB of VRAM in the 690. It's advertised as 4GB because there's two GPUs in it. and as I said before, TWO regular GTX 680s outperform the GTX 690.
  41. Anonymous said:
    believe it or not, some games dont give any performance increase when you add a 2nd gpu, etc.

    I should clarify. What I was saying didn't make sense was that using a lower resolution resulted in a performance hit.
  42. Two words. Never Settle. 7970s with the new drivers are amazing. In CrossFire with 3GB of VRAM beats out the 680 SLI totally.
  43. If your gonna spend 1600 on a gfx card I suggest you wait for this:

    http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?17174-First-Look-ASUS-MARS-III
  44. why you didnt think to tri-fire 3 7970 6GB edition
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202005&Tpk=7970%206gb
  45. mrdowntownkiller said:
    why you didnt think to tri-fire 3 7970 6GB edition
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202005&Tpk=7970%206gb


    Hey, thanks for showing me this. I'll consider it.
  46. 7970 Ghz edition hands down !
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Gtx Performance Quad Crossfire Graphics Product