Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

New Build AMD FX-8350 4Ghz Black Edition.

Last response: in Systems
Share
December 17, 2012 5:21:44 PM

Hello All, I have only just joined the forum, and would like some advice on a system I intend to build, spec as below.

I have built a number of systems over the years, but never had the need for water cooling , but this system will include water cooling.

Any comments on the system or compatibility appreciated.

LN47913
Asus Sabertooth 990FX, AMD 990FX, S AM3+, DDR3, SATA III - 6Gb/s, SATA RAID, PCIe 2.0 (x16), ATX
£124.79inc VAT
Dec1Inc

LN46536
Corsair 300R Black Mid Tower Gaming Case with Side Window and USB 3.0 w/o PSU
£69.96inc VAT
Dec1Inc

LN37704
HOT SELLER 650W Corsair Enthusiast Series 650TXV2UK, 85% Eff', 80 PLUS Bronze, SLI/CrossFire, EPS 12V, Quiet Fan, ATX v2.31, PSU
£70.38inc VAT
Dec1Inc

LN47572
Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H70 Core Performance CPU Cooler with 2x SP120 PWM Fans (140-00154) **SCAN Exclusive**
£53.99inc VAT
Dec1Inc

HOT SELLER 2TB Seagate ST2000DM001 Barracuda 7200.14 SATA 3 6GB/s 7200rpm 64MB Cache 8ms OEM NCQ
£65.99inc VAT
Dec1Inc

HOT SELLER AMD FX 8350 Black Edition, Vishera, 8 Core, S AM3+, 4.0GHz, 16MB Total Cache, 125W, Retail
£149.99inc VAT
Dec1Inc

HOT SELLER 1TB Seagate ST1000DM003 Barracuda 7200.14 SATA 6Gb/s 7200rpm 64mb Cache 8ms NCQ OEM
£51.59inc VAT
Dec1Inc

LN35962
HOT SELLER 45cm Scan RB-481 SATA III Certified 6Gbps Internal Cable
£1.96inc VAT
Dec2Inc

LN30012
HOT SELLER Genius KB C100 USB Keyboard and Optical 3 Button Mouse
£8.70inc VAT
Dec1Inc

LN48058
16GB (2x8GB) Corsair DDR3 Vengeance Low Profile Jet Black PC3-12800 (1600), Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 9-9-9-24, XMP, 1.5V
£130.80inc VAT
Dec2Inc

LN47267
HOT SELLER Microsoft Windows 8 64bit DVD OEM - The Most Popular One!
£70.90inc VAT
December 17, 2012 5:42:18 PM

What are you going to be using this system for?
December 17, 2012 5:47:26 PM

A Cad system, Turbocad Pro Platinum, which also uses the RedWay3d Redsdk Engine which can use GPU or Multiple cores as a choice, also digital art photoshop etc.

Redway3d Link : http://www.redway3d.com/pages/redsdk.php
Related resources
December 17, 2012 5:49:34 PM

Sorry, I should have also indicated that the Dec?Inc beneath the components is number off, eg Dec1Inc = 1 off, and Dec2Inc = 2 off.
December 17, 2012 6:05:44 PM

Nice build so far. Maybe I missed it but I didn't see any video card. This is important for CAD applications otherwise the performance will suffer. Look for ATI FireGL or nvidia Quadro as they are specialized for CAD usage, but they tend to be expensive. If you're on a budget a Geforce or Radeon will also do the trick.

I would also change these hard drives for Western Digital (sorry I had many bad experiences with Seagate so I don't trust them so much but it might be just me).
December 17, 2012 6:20:57 PM

Orion20036 said:
Thought I had missed something, here is the GPU I was looking at. The interface is apparently PCie 3.0, so will have to check if it is backwards compatible with the PCie 2.0 on the Asus board.

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/2gb-xfx-radeon-hd-7750-g...


Yes it is backwards compatible with 2.0, with no down sides to it what-so-ever.
December 17, 2012 6:22:39 PM

My budget is limited, but I have seen some good reports for overclocking The FX8350, even up to 8.67 Ghz on liquid nitrogen, so it should theoretically clock to 5Ghz with some of the standard cooling methods. I don't intend to overclock at present, but it gives me the potential when I get time to try it out.
December 17, 2012 6:25:49 PM

Derza10 said:
Yes it is backwards compatible with 2.0, with no down sides to it what-so-ever.



Many thanks for the feedback on the card, it will be a handy card for me as I intend to use two monitors, I will probably add another card as funds allow.
December 17, 2012 6:54:01 PM

Small issue, but it will get larger once you turn on Turbocad: The XFX card you chose is a fine lower end gaming graphics card but it is not designed for CAD. What you need is a workstation card.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... ATI fireproV4900 159.00

A higher end graphics (gaming) card can run a CAD environment but you will get massive pixilation errors as your files increase in design complexity and size. This ATI workstation card is actually much less expensive than most, can be crossfired and has eyefinity.
A high end workstation card will set you back 4K.

Just my opinion, but if you are really going for a workstation, you need to go LGA 2011 and i7.
December 17, 2012 6:55:56 PM

MC_K7 said:
Nice build so far. Maybe I missed it but I didn't see any video card. This is important for CAD applications otherwise the performance will suffer. Look for ATI FireGL or nvidia Quadro as they are specialized for CAD usage, but they tend to be expensive. If you're on a budget a Geforce or Radeon will also do the trick.

I would also change these hard drives for Western Digital (sorry I had many bad experiences with Seagate so I don't trust them so much but it might be just me).



A few years back, I also had a bad experience with a Seagate Barracuda 320GB, but have had two others in the system 24/7 for the last two years without a problem, but not against mixing and matching with the backup drive. I have also added the GPU that I intend to use.

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/2gb-xfx-radeon-hd-7750-g...
December 17, 2012 7:03:58 PM

groundrat said:
Small issue, but it will get larger once you turn on Turbocad: The XFX card you chose is a fine lower end gaming graphics card but it is not designed for CAD. What you need is a workstation card.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... ATI fireproV4900 159.00

A higher end graphics (gaming) card can run a CAD environment but you will get massive pixilation errors as your files increase in design complexity and size. This ATI workstation card is actually much less expensive than most, can be crossfired and has eyefinity.
A high end workstation card will set you back 4K.

Just my opinion, but if you are really going for a workstation, you need to go LGA 2011 and i7.



I take your point, just out of my budget at present with lots of other things to spend on, but can always look at a better card later, as I can switch the Radeon down to my older system.
December 17, 2012 8:45:01 PM


+ another 1 for the FirePro V4900

It's £129.58, but well worth the investment over the HD7770 for what you wish to do. Dropping back to the FX-8320 Piledriver will get you more than halfway there.

2x4GB will likely make up more than the difference, and let you go 2133MHz!

And you will have a monster rig -- don't let anyone tell you otherwise.



December 17, 2012 9:04:07 PM

Wisecracker said:
+ another 1 for the FirePro V4900

It's £129.58, but well worth the investment over the HD7770 for what you wish to do. Dropping back to the FX-8320 Piledriver will get you more than halfway there.

2x4GB will likely make up more than the difference, and let you go 2133MHz!

And you will have a monster rig -- don't let anyone tell you otherwise.


Just bit the bullet and purchased before I read your reply, but will certainly keep your advice in mind when I do add a new card, the 32gb of memory and a 64 bit system will make a dramatic difference to the 32 bit system with an earlier version of Turbocad, struggling along on the 32 bit version was not an option until this year when IMSI upgraded Turbocad V19 to 64 bit. I have been pushing this system backward and forward for a few weeks now, but am losing too many hours, so the new system should be underway on the 20th dec or there about.

I will keep you posted on the benchmarks.

One other thing, who is in the know on the forums in relation to best cooling methods, as I have an idea for a new type of CPU cooling pedestal that would fit between the CPU and the board to get cooling from the bottom as well as the top of the CPU. I have had a look around but not seen anyone using this method yet, so may draw a prototype version up.

Any feedback or which thread to post on would be appreciated.





December 18, 2012 12:39:09 AM

Just had a small hiccup after ordering my system, I can't find my memory type in the approved vendors list for the asus sabretooth 990fx, anybody know if they will match.

Any feedback appreciated, as I can stop delivery of the memory if I have a problem.

Memory :-

CML16GX3M2A1600C9 - 16GB (2x8GB) Corsair DDR3 Vengeance Low Profile Jet Black PC3-12800 (1600), Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 9-9-9-24, XMP, 1.5V

Motherboard:-

90-MIBFN0-G0EAY00Z - Asus Sabertooth 990FX, AMD 990FX, S AM3+, DDR3, SATA III - 6Gb/s, SATA RAID, PCIe 2.0 (x16), ATX
December 18, 2012 10:39:01 AM


That's a tough call to make.

Sometimes, simply using the XMP profile will cure many ills. Sometimes, you will have to manually tweak your timings ...

And, sometimes, you will have to RMA :) 

!