AMD Radeon HD 5670 BSOD after installing drivers

blau

Honorable
Aug 6, 2012
Hello, I'm having troubles with my PC, been having for about a month now, I have Windows 7 and AMD Radeon 5670 Crossfire Graphics card. It took me a while to narrow it down to the graphics card, but I figured out that after a fresh install of Windows, using Catalyst or whatever to install video drivers then restarting causes Windows to lockupat the logo screen and that's it. This is very frustrating and I hope somebody can help! Here is the error from the BSOD:

Stop: 0x000000F4 (0x0000000000000003, 0xFFFFFA8006521B30, 0xFFFFFA8006521E10, 0xFFFFF8000C7CB240)

P.S. I am quite a noob when it comes to computers, please forgive me, and I am writing this on my phone, forgive any errors. If anymore info is needed just say so and I will post.

blau

Honorable
Aug 6, 2012
Thanks for the response!

Specs:

RAM: 6144 MB (6GB)

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 930 @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.8GHz

HDD: ST31000528AS ATA Device, 1TB (I think, this is my disk drive, if this is wrong just tell me how to retrieve the info :??: )

PSU: I just cant find out, no sticker, no nothing. The PSU should be plenty though, PC was pre-built.

No, I haven't tried the ram sticks strategy, didn't think of it since it is a video card issue and RAM works fine. I only have one HDD, the main one.

I've had the video card for about 4-5-6 years now, could be either or. The card was new in a pre-built system.

blau

Honorable
Aug 6, 2012
Just tried taking out all RAM sticks but one, installed drivers, restarted and am still getting the exact same problem, freezing at startup, that doesn't seem to be the issue.

This is very frustrating. :(

tjc1937

Honorable
Jun 18, 2012

Pull the video card and go into bios and attempt to use the graphics off of the motherboard. If you get graphics off of the motherboard you have a video card problem. If your motherboard does not have graphics on it then maybe you should try an older driver for the 5670. I have 2 5850's in X-Fire and have no problems.

blau

Honorable
Aug 6, 2012

Yes, I am able to boot into safe mode. And I have no idea about a seperate power input connector, since I bought it pre-assembled, I would guess no.

Also, with the 4-5-6 years estimate, it was just the fact that I am not too sure, could be either, most likely 5 or 6 years.

How would I run an older driver for the 5670? I feel absolutely helpless, and I could probably figure it out, but I want to make sure I'm just getting it right, as Catalyst automatically updates to most recent.

As for uninstalling all previous drivers on the GPU and starting from scratch, I have tried this a couple times, no dice.

blau

Honorable
Aug 6, 2012

Ah, sorry, didn't even notice your post!

Yes, I'm sure I am installing good driver versions since they are coming straight through Catalyst which detects and downloads the drivers I need.

As I said, the system is pre-built, but I did happen to find a CD, which only had Catalyst as for drivers. Yippee for me Catalyst installs the latest and greatest :sarcastic:

If there is some way to install previous drivers, and you could inform me how, that would be a great amount of help as I could try that.

suat

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Boot into Safe Mode and open Device Manager. Expand Display Adapter and switch to Driver tab. Click Uninstall and also put a checkmark in the box "uninstall driver for this device".

Restart your computer. Now Windows will boot to Windows own display drivers. Now you can download previous AMD drivers and reinstall.

For information, the latest AMD drivers require that you have dotNET framework 4.0 installed.

blau

Honorable
Aug 6, 2012
Alright, I just tried this.

I re-installed using Catalyst, restarted then booted into safe mode, uninstalling the drivers. After rebooting regularly, Windows re-installed the drivers. I again restarted after this and got a freeze up at the windows logo! :fou:

Right now it is back to Standard VGA Graphics Adapter after yet another "Last Known Good Configuration" start.

blau

Honorable
Aug 6, 2012
Okay, weird new scenario. I decided about an hour after that last post to just check my device manager for display adapters and instead of seeing the usual two "Standard VGA Graphics" Adapters, I see one AMD Radeon HD 5670 without any error symbol or anything. :eek: I absolutely didn't do a thing since then and maybe this is some sort of miracle.

But a new problem arises. There is only one showing up in device manager. Typically, since I have two in crossfire, two show up in device manager, am I just over-worried or is this evidence that maybe one card isn't detecting or something? I think it is the latter, any quick fixes for this or anything?

bloc97

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2010

Use GPU-Z to check your GPU information, since Windows Device Manager or Windows DxDiag may not be entirely accurate.

-Bloc97

blau

Honorable
Aug 6, 2012
GPU-Z Also said I had Crossfire disabled. Although when I did install that Catalyst version (Thank you very much) it did detect the two in Crossfire WITHOUT any errors, now we're getting somewhere. Although, when I decided to restart, again...freeze at the windows logo.

bloc97

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2010

Are you sure that you didn't install any third-party overclocking/tweaking tools? It is known that Ati Tray Tools can freeze some cards at startup.