Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 29, 2012 6:14:03 PM

Hi everyone!

Ok to start off here are my System specs

AMD FX-8150

Sabertooth 990FX

8 GIG Ram 2x4 Gskill SNiper Series

Crossfire MSI 7950's

Ok so My issue is I have a 7950 so I like to test my Card on games like Metro 2033 and Shogun total war 2, use them kinda as benchmarkers

So what the issue is, is that I have both cards overclocked and crossfired (OC to 940 MHz) and when I get into Metro I get a norm of about 70-80 FPS thats perfectly fine, now when I get into shogun and start up a small battle, Zoomed out im only getting 50 fps with about 10 v 10 units. I read that the Game gets bottlenecked but the thing is when I go into the options it only shows 1800 mb of Video memory, when it used to show 3000 with my single GPU, and when I first got the crossfire I have about a 120-70 fps range when zoomed out and a 50-40 fps range when zoomed all the way in on the same battle, I have turned off the UPLS and I have monitered my cards and nothing, no over heating, no voltage damage. some games are the same as shogun where I should be able to max out and get a crazy good FPS but im not. I understand that the drivers come into play but all the drivers Ive seen have actually raised my fps a little or improved the cards. Im also only getting about a 6000 through 10,000 Score on 3Dmark11 full

If you guys could help me that would be awesome
a c 87 U Graphics card
October 29, 2012 6:25:40 PM

Well... that's a very easy solution. Shogun doesn't support SLI or Crossfire, and it's also extremely CPU bound.

The games that don't perform better with two GPUs are the games that aren't programmed to use two GPUs - it's based on the game, not on the video cards.
m
l
October 29, 2012 6:31:55 PM

Thanks for the Input, but shouldnt it still be showing atleast 3000 mb for the video memory, and this is what I just got as a reading from 3dmark

Graphics Card
AMD Radeon HD 7950

VendorMicro-Star International Co ., Ltd.

# of cards2SLI / CrossFire On

Memory2048 MBCore clock300 <<<< shouldnt these be showing the over clock values as well as 6 gigs of vram not 2

MHzMemory clock150 <<<<<<<<^^^^

nameDriver version9.10.8.0Driver

statusNot FM Approved
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
October 29, 2012 6:47:32 PM

Chewiemuse said:
Thanks for the Input, but shouldnt it still be showing atleast 3000 mb for the video memory, and this is what I just got as a reading from 3dmark

Graphics Card
AMD Radeon HD 7950

VendorMicro-Star International Co ., Ltd.

# of cards2SLI / CrossFire On

Memory2048 MBCore clock300 <<<< shouldnt these be showing the over clock values as well as 6 gigs of vram not 2

MHzMemory clock150 <<<<<<<<^^^^

nameDriver version9.10.8.0Driver

statusNot FM Approved

In SLI/Crossfire memory is mirrored on each GPU, so you are still limited to the amount of memory on one card.
m
l
October 29, 2012 7:29:41 PM

Ok can you Explain what you mean by mirrored

and I understand AMD Drives arent the best out there and that Crossfire isnt excactly stable all the time, but Both cards OC'ed to 940 MHz and them running stable on other games doesnt make sense to me

And Shogun 2 has a AMD Catalyst Profile for Crossfire so I dont see how it isnt compatible with Crossfire, The thing that is making me curious is that when I first got them they ran shogun beautifully and now its back down to if I were to have a single GPU and also is showing less memory than before

and im sorry to be a little ignorant in this haha and im trying not to sound like a dumbass but im new to crossfiring, ive done crossfiring with 4870's a few years ago but I never really dived into it

Ive read other benchmarks and other users reviews on the crossfire 7950's most used intel though and had a little more RAM than me but they all got about the same results with most games and mine is iffy, I get some of those results but I still am not up to par with what I feel like I should be
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 30, 2012 2:46:26 AM

Chewiemuse said:
Ok can you Explain what you mean by mirrored

and I understand AMD Drives arent the best out there and that Crossfire isnt excactly stable all the time, but Both cards OC'ed to 940 MHz and them running stable on other games doesnt make sense to me

And Shogun 2 has a AMD Catalyst Profile for Crossfire so I dont see how it isnt compatible with Crossfire, The thing that is making me curious is that when I first got them they ran shogun beautifully and now its back down to if I were to have a single GPU and also is showing less memory than before

and im sorry to be a little ignorant in this haha and im trying not to sound like a dumbass but im new to crossfiring, ive done crossfiring with 4870's a few years ago but I never really dived into it

Ive read other benchmarks and other users reviews on the crossfire 7950's most used intel though and had a little more RAM than me but they all got about the same results with most games and mine is iffy, I get some of those results but I still am not up to par with what I feel like I should be

In crossfire if one card has 1500 mb of memory and the other card has 1500 mb of memory, max memory is NOT 3000, its 1500 mb.

They dont add up, they mirror what you already have.
m
l
November 5, 2012 10:58:18 PM

maxalge said:
In crossfire if one card has 1500 mb of memory and the other card has 1500 mb of memory, max memory is NOT 3000, its 1500 mb.

They dont add up, they mirror what you already have.

Each card comes with 3 gigs so it should add to six or atleast mirror 3 gigs
m
l
!