Sign in with
Your question
Solved

First Build - Need Parts Advice [2k budget]

Last response: in Systems
December 17, 2012 6:37:13 PM

Hi all,

I've been watching lots of videos on the actual process of the build and I'm starting to feel pretty confident about starting my first build.

What I'm not so confident with is picking out compatible parts for what I'm looking to use my computer for.

I will primarily be using this build for gaming and video editing.

I would really like a 3 monitor setup to space my video editing work load across and also to game on.

I have a really flexible budget of 2k and I'm willing to spend more if I need to.

This budget doesn't include the monitors, so I would appreciate any suggestion on those as well.

I really appreciate any help I can get as I really want to get started on my first build and feel confident that the parts I'm putting in are good and right for me.

Thanks so much!

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
December 17, 2012 7:32:14 PM

If gaming across 3 monitors, I would shift a lot of the budget towards the graphics card. The HD 7970 Ghz Edition would be ideal, it's a powerful single card and would keep you away from hot/noisy dual card setups.

i7-3770k
2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600Mhz 1.5v C9
ASRock Z77 Extreme4
Sapphire HD 7970 3GB Ghz Edition
Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
Seasonic G Series 550W
ATX case of choice

Total should be around $1500, I don't really see any reason to spend any more than that to be honest. Maybe a decent CPU cooler or more storage but that's about it. If you go for more storage, I'd just get multiple F3 drives and RAID them up or something. A RAID 1 setup might be cool.

EDIT: These would be really good for monitors

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Cheap, nice IPS panel so good colours and viewing angles. Also fully adjustable and 5ms response time. Good all rounder.
December 17, 2012 8:17:15 PM

Thank you so much for the input, very helpful and exactly what I was looking for!
m
l
Related resources
December 17, 2012 8:17:26 PM

Best answer selected by syphn.
m
l
December 17, 2012 11:44:11 PM

This might be a stupid question, but the back of the graphics card appears to only have 2 inputs to plug in monitors. I see it also has an HDMI, but it doesn't look the monitors do.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
December 23, 2012 1:42:27 PM

Yeah it should be OK. A lower response time would be ideal but it shouldn't make a huge difference.
m
l
!