Which GPU is better?

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • GPUs
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 29, 2012 6:36:42 PM

Ok so I'm buying a graphics card for my system. I have a budget of $400 dollars and I want something that will run bf3, crysis2, swtor and other games coming out on ultra settings. I've heard that the 670 is a good card and so is the 660ti but I wanna know what can I get most for my Money please say any ideas of what I should get.

More about : gpu

a c 142 U Graphics card
October 29, 2012 7:25:06 PM

Out of those two choices, spend the extra money for the 670. The 660Ti is a very inconsistent performer. In some games, like Battlefield 3 it performs well for its price, in other games like Batman Arkham City, it can get beaten out by the $250 Radeon HD 7870 if you use more than 2x AA. In some games the $220 GTX 660 comes uncomfortably close to the 660Ti's performance.

The 660Ti's problem is its memory bus is too narrow for its GPU. In games where the memory subsystem is taxed, the 660Ti takes a disproportionately large performance hit, as the GPU has to wait longer for data from memory in order to do anything. This problem doesn't effect all games, but as games get more demanding, they will probably start taxing the memory subsystem even more, and the 660Ti will start to struggle to keep up when that happens. Unless you plan on replacing your card again in the next year or so, it might be more prudent to spend the extra $100 now for the 670.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a c 283 U Graphics card
October 29, 2012 8:01:26 PM

mace200200 said:
If you want my opinion I would get this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

It blows the air out the back which I hear is the best way to cool a card, I haven't had one that does this yet, it's just what I've heard from more than one person.

I concur. Having experimented with both, direct exhaust is the way to go.
a b U Graphics card
October 29, 2012 8:05:32 PM

mace200200 said:
If you want my opinion I would get this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

It blows the air out the back which I hear is the best way to cool a card, I haven't had one that does this yet, it's just what I've heard from more than one person.

Yes, if you have limited case cooling, you want the standard reference cooling that blows the air out back. However, if you have a case with lots of airflow, especially a nice large fan blowing right down on the graphics card than the triple fan solution like Gigabyte will give you better performance.
a b U Graphics card
October 29, 2012 8:19:29 PM

If you've got that much money, go for a 670 or 7950. As Nova says, the 660's memory interface can hamper it in certain application, especially higher AA settings. The 670 might get you a few extra frames, but the 7950 has much better general compute performance. Your choice which is more important to you.

What CPU are you pairing this with the card? If it's a few generations old, that might be a bottleneck despite the GPU upgrade.
October 30, 2012 5:09:29 AM

Thanks everyone for the comments it has helped. And I'm running on i5-3570k. And is there any better cards than the 670 for the price
a c 283 U Graphics card
October 30, 2012 1:10:23 PM

Makua9 said:
Thanks everyone for the comments it has helped. And I'm running on i5-3570k. And is there any better cards than the 670 for the price

Yes, there are better(stronger) cards. But "for the price" depends on your budget and your willingness to spend it.
The EVGA GTX670 also comes in factory overclocked FTW versions for a small amount more and are probably worth it.
A 7950 is comparable to the GTX670 and often sells for a similar price, perhaps less.
Finally, there is the GTX680 or 7970 which are the strongest single gpu cards available today. But the price premium usually makes them not a great value if you have a budget.

In the end, any of these cards will do the job nicely. In real life, compared to benchmarks, you are unlikely to be able to tell the difference among them.
a b U Graphics card
October 30, 2012 2:31:18 PM

geofelt said:
Yes, there are better(stronger) cards. But "for the price" depends on your budget and your willingness to spend it.
The EVGA GTX670 also comes in factory overclocked FTW versions for a small amount more and are probably worth it.
A 7950 is comparable to the GTX670 and often sells for a similar price, perhaps less.
Finally, there is the GTX680 or 7970 which are the strongest single gpu cards available today. But the price premium usually makes them not a great value if you have a budget.

In the end, any of these cards will do the job nicely. In real life, compared to benchmarks, you are unlikely to be able to tell the difference among them.

Too true. Most of these cards are easily capable of maintaining 40+ fps minimum meaning most people can't tell the difference when playing them ( once you go past 60 fps, no one can tell the difference. ) Some people just want the bragging rights of saying they can run games at 100+ fps. Some people think it actually necessary to do so, even though the vast majority of people use 60Hz monitors.

In truth, the 660 or a 7870 would be enough to run any game this year and next ( depending on AA settings in the 660's case. ) A 670/7950 would give you a little extra oomph, and a 680/7970 would likely be enough for two years to come. How much extra you want to spend is up to you.

Oh, and that CPU won't be a bottleneck for a long time.
!