• Homebuilt
  • Fan
  • Motherboards
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
December 17, 2012 7:18:12 PM

Hi,

I'm having some noise problems with my fans/fan. A while ago I replaced pretty much everything in my computer, except the chassis fan and the DVD-reader. Thus I have an old fan installed on a new motherboard.
And now it sounds like the fans/fan are going on full speed all the time. Can it be that the old fan can't collaborate with the new motherboard?
I'm not sure if it's only the old fan that is making all the noise. The CPU-fan is maybe also involved.
The fans did not make this much noise before I replaced everything.

Thanks in advance!

More about : fan motherboard

a b B Homebuilt system
a c 130 V Motherboard
December 17, 2012 7:26:06 PM

Some newer boards do not control fans with voltage(3 pin) and now just use 4 pin. The Asus Maximus IV Gene-z for instance will only control 4 pin fans on the cpu header, but the system fan headers will work fine with 3 pin fans(and slow them).

Some boards do not even control all the fan headers either, while others do.

You can stop the fan to see if that is the noise maker. If it is, see if you have other fan headers on the board OR if the bios has an option to slow down the fans(q-fan/smart fan/ect).

As a LAST resort you may look at quieter fans OR a fan controller. Manual fan control can be nice, just remember not to leave the fan speed too low for the systems load levels.
a b V Motherboard
December 17, 2012 7:28:24 PM

You can use Speedfan (a free utility) to adjust the speed of your fans too. Give it a try.
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 130 V Motherboard
December 17, 2012 7:31:07 PM

maestro0428 said:
You can use Speedfan (a free utility) to adjust the speed of your fans too. Give it a try.

If you want to use speedfan, you may need to turn off any board level fan control(or speed fan may not be able to get control) or use the speedfan options(Config -> Advanced) to disable the boards own control. I have used lots of speedfan in the past.
December 17, 2012 9:58:20 PM

I stopped the fans and it seems like most of the noise is coming from the chassis fan, as expected, but some is coming from the CPU-fan as well. Buying a new fan is probably what I'm going to do, they are not too expensive after all.
I will also try Speedfan.

Thanks for the quick answers.
December 17, 2012 10:17:02 PM

I have now read my fan speed values with Speedfan: the CPU-fan is at 2250 RPM and the chassis fan is at 2700 RPM.
These are pretty normal values if I understand it correctly, right?
So the solution is simply newer and quieter fans.
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 130 V Motherboard
December 17, 2012 10:20:34 PM

It depends on the cooler. some of the AMD coolers can get up over 4000 under load.

My personal cooler/case fans maxes a bit over 1200(because i want it more quiet.).

What board do you have anyway?
December 17, 2012 11:33:47 PM

I have the "Asus M5A88-M" motherboard. And "AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1090T" is my processor. Maybe it's worth mentioning that the chassis values are the same all the time, even during load, gaming. And the CPU goes up to 3200.
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 130 V Motherboard
December 18, 2012 12:37:28 AM

It looks like your boards cha_fan does not seen to be designed with fan speed control in mind. That would most likely be the problem.

I have a board that is the same way cpu fan header controls, but not the case fan. I used a y-cable to run both on the one header, but i fear that the newer boards do not run 3 pin fans right on the cpu headers if my M4G board is any indication.

So a quiet fan, OR 5 volt fan mod is your best bet.

5 volt fan mod. I do not do the 7 volt mod any more.
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article6-page1.html
a b V Motherboard
December 18, 2012 1:08:49 AM

I am guessing you have the stock processor. I recommend a new one, that will really quiet it down as the stock heatsink is a noisy one. CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO is a great cooler at a low cost. It will seriously lower your cpu temps too over the stock one. You can get a lower rpm fan for your case too, just make sure its still going to cool your rig enough. An ideal setup is a fan at the front (blowing in), rear (blowing out) and top (also blowing out). I run the fans on my workstation around 1200rpm to keep it nearly silent, but to cool my folding@home rig, I have to run the fans much faster to keep it cool.
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 130 V Motherboard
December 18, 2012 1:12:20 AM

maestro0428 said:
I am guessing you have the stock processor. I recommend a new one, that will really quiet it down as the stock heatsink is a noisy one. CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO is a great cooler at a low cost. It will seriously lower your cpu temps too over the stock one. You can get a lower rpm fan for your case too, just make sure its still going to cool your rig enough. An ideal setup is a fan at the front (blowing in), rear (blowing out) and top (also blowing out). I run the fans on my workstation around 1200rpm to keep it nearly silent, but to cool my folding@home rig, I have to run the fans much faster to keep it cool.

I will add a +1 to the 212 heatsinks. I have used them on ALL my AMD builds after I heard that stock cooler :) 
December 18, 2012 3:56:42 PM

http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=productview&products...

This is the fan I was thinking for my chassis. My board only support 3 pin connection for the chassis fan, and this fan has an 3-4 adaptor. Is there a performance loss if you are only able to use 3 pins instead of 4?

Is this fan a good choice?

For the CPU, I will trust you on the CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO, and buy it :) 
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 130 V Motherboard
December 18, 2012 4:17:34 PM

That is just a 3 pin fan. It comes with an adapter for 4 pin, but not the MB type of 4 pin the Molex LP4 type of 4 pin.

This kind of 4 pin :) 

If you are getting the FLX version of the fan, it comes with 2 adapters(Low Noise and Ultra Low Noise adapters) to slow the fan down as well. They are just resistors that fit inline with the fan. Only use 1 at a time, you should never plug them back to back.

Please note you are looking at a 140mm fan not a 120mm fan as well. It is made to fit 120mm opening, but I have never used it that way.

NF-P12 is the 120mm high pressure(cpu heatsinks/rads and cases with lots or air resistance) version and the NF-S12B FLX is the low pressure(made for cases with little air resistance) version. Noctua also has a new PWM fan NF-F12 PWM. It comes with a Y cable so it would be controlled with the cpu fan.

I have used a few Noctua fans :) 
December 18, 2012 5:54:15 PM

http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=nf_p14_mounting&lng=...

Here it says that it fits both 140mm and 120mm mounting holes. (From the "Adaptors for 140mm mounting" link)

Is it safe to buy this fan, will I be able to install it in my computer and use it properly? Given the pin thing you mentioned, I didn't really understand if you meant that it worked or not.

If not, I will try the other alternative. I'm holding on to this one because it seems best, the other one costs almost half the price and that must mean something :p 

And thanks for continuing to answer my questions!
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 130 V Motherboard
December 18, 2012 7:07:38 PM

The 140mm fan actually has holes that match 120mm fan(and the small metal plates are for using it in 140mm openings. Most cases with 140mm openings also have 120mm holes anyway). As long as your case has the extra room around the fan placement it should fit.

If you look at my image above, you can see the 140 in the center of my heatsink. Now see that the screw mounts to line up with the 120mm fan below it. Now look at how much wider it is. You case has to have the space for it(the extra 10mm on each side).

Here is an image from the Fractal Define R2. The image is not embedded because it is too big(should not have even embedded the other one to be honest.).
http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/8903/212infractal.jpg

This image was to show that most cases with a 120mm rear fan could fit the CM 212+ cooler, but if you look in the back, you can see that the 140mm fan would NOT fit this case as the side lip of the case would block it.

So it all depends on the case for fitting the 140mm fan.

As far as the pins go, the Noctua fans(all of them) will plug right into the board in the same place as the old fan. The PWM one can be plugged with the cpu fan with an included cable adapter.
December 21, 2012 6:11:20 PM

I think I got everything figured out now, thanks for your help!

I realized that my case and fans are much smaller than I'd thought. I will either buy a new case or fans that fit the case I have now.
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 130 V Motherboard
December 21, 2012 9:03:56 PM

What is the model number of the current case?
December 22, 2012 1:12:52 PM

I don't really know, and can't find it.
Here is what the specifications says about the case:

Mid-size ATX
Height: 38.7 cm (15.23 inches)
Width: 17.5 cm (6.89 inches)
Length: 41.4 cm (16.29 inches)

The model of the original computer is "HP Pavilion a6541.sc". So it's a pretty old case.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Docume...
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 130 V Motherboard
December 22, 2012 1:24:00 PM

Mose HP computers use a 90/92mm fan. and the fans HP includes are VERY loud, but the HP boards control them to a point that your rarely hear them. So yeah, that explains it all.

So fan swap or fan controller like this is the best option. They have many fan controllers some you can access from the pci slot cover as well. The controller has the advantage of allowing you to fine tune it, but don't set it too low.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
December 22, 2012 4:37:43 PM

All right, I will look into the fan controller, but I will probably buy new fans.

Once again, thanks for your and maestro0428's help solving my issue!
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 130 V Motherboard
December 22, 2012 11:35:02 PM

Ok, just measure to be 100% sure just in case hp had 80mm, but most I have seen are 90/92(used to be called 92, but seem to be called 90mm now days)
December 23, 2012 8:03:40 PM

Yeah, I measured them and they are 92mm :) 
!