Windows 7 registry question

rt8bc7x

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011
Here's one out of left field. We have a high on the food chain user supported by our IT shop who doesn't like to enter a password when his Win7 Ent. 64bit tablet comes out of standby. Unfortunately due to a GPO in place there is no way to Uncheck the box prompt for password when computer resumes from standby. When he had an XP tablet, we were able to create a reg file, which would run at startup and change the appropriate registry keys to prevent him having to enter a password every time he brought the tablet out of standby. Currently I have been unable to find any helpful info regarding power settings in the Win 7 registry, let alone discover what keys or values need to be modified to allow for the above mentioned checkbox NOT to be grayed out. Any and all ideas are greatly appreciated.

Tell him to suck it up. If he's that high on the food chain there is no way he should be leaving it that easy for any no-do-gooder to do anything with the tablet.

What happens if it gets stolen? All the data is there for everyone to see. Sometimes you just have to say "no".

rt8bc7x

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011
Thanks for the responses; comedy relief during another ridiculously crazy day. I wish I could employ Chaizsaw and gamerk316's advice; however, it is a little more complicated than that. :??: The tablet is a Dell XT2, by the way. At any rate, I'm afraid this exec may have to accept a nice no can do.