Upgrading to 2 x HD 6870.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr1hm

Distinguished
Hello everyone,

I'm purchasing a second Radeon HD 6870 to accompany my XFX Radeon HD 6870 1GB; however the second card is from Asus. As far as I know, I don't think crossfiring different brands will matter as long as it's in the same family and model 68xx with 68xx (if I'm wrong, please correct me).

I currently have the OCZ StealthxStream 600w PSU and it's 80 Plus Certified and get 12V@48.33333 amps. This was able to power my previous 2xHD 5830s for about a month (give or take a few days), but eventually returned the second as I couldn't get rid of some of the problems that came along with the ride.

Now that I am back to crossfiring, I wanted to make sure that this PSU is not going to be the source of the issue for common crossfiring problems people run into. It states that it's SLi Ready but, doesn't mention anything about Crossfire and 1 x 6-pin PCI-E with 1 x 6+2-pin PCI-E.

Question is, are those enough PCI-E connectors to power the crossfired HD 6870s? Even though I've seen some posts that AMD stated that in order to power HD 6870 crossfire you need 12V@46 amps, I' m afraid my PSU may JUST not make the cut.

And if my PSU does in fact make the cut, will I be able to overclock the GPUs? How about the CPU?

RIG:
Intel i5 3570k - Currently @ 4.0ghz w/ Hyper 212+
AsRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA1155
Kingston HyperX 8GB DDR3-1600Mhz XMP 1.2
OCZ Vertex 3 90GB SSD w/ Samsung Spinpoint HD103SJ 1TB 7200RPM HDD
XFX Radeon HD 6870 1GB (Soon to be Crossfired with Asus HD 6870 1GB)
OCZ StealthXStream 600w 80+ Certified 12V@48.33333 amps (Combined Total of 580w divided by 12V)
27' Samsung SA550 2ms Response 1920x1080 native

Thanks in advance.

Link to Power Supply: http://www.ocztechnology.com/ocz-600w-stealthxstream-power-supply-eol.html

Solution
You have enough power , as for connections, look at your PSU and cards, and if not connections consider a splitter/reverse splitter and a strategic connection

As for overclocking, that's a little unpredictable, but probably ok as long you don't go overboard.

P.S. you are correct, brands don't matter, chipsets do

abbadon_34

Distinguished
You have enough power , as for connections, look at your PSU and cards, and if not connections consider a splitter/reverse splitter and a strategic connection

As for overclocking, that's a little unpredictable, but probably ok as long you don't go overboard.

P.S. you are correct, brands don't matter, chipsets do

Solution

mr1hm

Distinguished

Thanks for the response! I just wanted the confirmation from someone else just to make sure I'm on the right page. But, I caught the guy lying to me about the video card being replaced by Asus... Gave me 2 different stories in a span of 4 hours... So just said might as well wait just a bit and possibly get one around black friday.

Good to know that you feel the same way about that PSU though.

Thanks again. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.