Solved

Better GPU vs Upgradability

I am unsure whether to get an upgradable/overclockable system or one that has a better GPU. I was leaning towards the upgradable system. Here are the two different systems.

Upgradable

Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H $185.89 http://pricespy.co.nz/product.php?p=1165801
i5 3570K $309.29 http://pricespy.co.nz/product.php?p=1189950
Corsair Vengeance DDR3 2x4GB Ram $66.69 http://pricespy.co.nz/product.php?p=916997
Antec Kühler H2O 620 $85.24 http://pricespy.co.nz/product.php?p=828022
Antec Three Hundred Two $89.00 http://pricespy.co.nz/product.php?p=1078562
FSP Aurum 750W $155.00 http://pricespy.co.nz/product.php?p=923988
LG GH24NS90 $30.00 http://pricespy.co.nz/product.php?p=1112908
Samsung 830 Series 128GB $144.76 http://pricespy.co.nz/product.php?p=974936
Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB $101.04 http://pricespy.co.nz/product.php?p=1059944
Windows 7 $131.50 http://pricespy.co.nz/product.php?p=485463

ASUS GTX 570 $275.00 http://www.trademe.co.nz/computers/components/video-cards/pciexpress/auction-544253886.htm


Higher End GPU

i5 3570
Asus H77-MLE
2x4GB
WD Green 1TB
Samsung 830 128GB
Antec HCG-620W
Antec Three Hundred Two
Win 7
Vapor-X 7950
24 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about better upgradability
  1. Save yourself a wad cash...

    CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116504

    HDD: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236339

    RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145345

    GPU wise, I'd check newegg or other sites for better prices, I'd reccomend a GTX 670 over a HD 7950. But if you don't care for over clocking, Go HD 7950 as it'll provide slightly better FPS.
  2. These are NZ prices and i cannot order from newegg.
  3. It all depends on what your primary use is going to be. You will likely get a slight performance boost from overclocking the 3570K processor, but that boost won't significantly impact your gaming or overall system performance.

    You will see superior gaming performance right out of the box with the better GPU, so assuming gaming is going to be your primary use that is the way I recommend you go. the nVidia 570 GPU will chew up a lot more power, generate more heat, and perform much worse than the 7950, and I'm guessing you wouldn't want to swap it out in a year or two to get better performance when you would be spending nearly $300 on it...
  4. Isaiah4110 said:
    It all depends on what your primary use is going to be. You will likely get a slight performance boost from overclocking the 3570K processor, but that boost won't significantly impact your gaming or overall system performance.

    You will see superior gaming performance right out of the box with the better GPU, so assuming gaming is going to be your primary use that is the way I recommend you go. the nVidia 570 GPU will chew up a lot more power, generate more heat, and perform much worse than the 7950, and I'm guessing you wouldn't want to swap it out in a year or two to get better performance when you would be spending nearly $300 on it...



    Ok, in that case, should i go for the upgradable system then use integrated graphics until i can afford the 7950?
  5. camohanna said:
    Ok, in that case, should i go for the upgradable system then use integrated graphics until i can afford the 7950?


    Yes. I'd highly reccommend that. That's what I did with my AMD system lol. Intel has better intagrated graphics on their CPU's then the Phenoms, so you'll do just fine for that period of time. Saving up for a better GPU is MUCH worth it my friend.
  6. camohanna said:
    Ok, in that case, should i go for the upgradable system then use integrated graphics until i can afford the 7950?

    That depends on what games you plan to play and what resolution you intend to be using. Integrated graphics won't get you much (if anything) in a gaming sense unless you are looking at playing older and less graphically intensive games. What resolution is your monitor and what games do you intend to play?
  7. griptwister said:
    Yes. I'd highly reccommend that. That's what I did with my AMD system lol. Intel has better intagrated graphics on their CPU's then the Phenoms, so you'll do just fine for that period of time. Saving up for a better GPU is MUCH worth it my friend.


    Thanks, if anyone could tell me the rough comparative card to the HD4000 integrated graphics?
  8. Uh the phenoms didn't have integrated graphics lol. How about the upgradeable build with a 7870?
  9. Best answer
    The more Important question is, "How long are you going to wait till you can afford a better Graphics Card?" Because Integrated will only last you a month or two at minimum before you get irritated with the low settings. I have seen a i7 3700k play BF3 with integrated graphics... it wasn't at max settings, but it didn't look bad either.
  10. ohiou_grad_06 said:
    Uh the phenoms didn't have integrated graphics lol. How about the upgradeable build with a 7870?


    Sorry, *On board Graphics

    And the HD 7870 is a great alternative. Even the 660Ti is a fantastic option. These days, You really cant go wrong with a mid range card.
  11. griptwister said:
    The more Important question is, "How long are you going to wait till you can afford a better Graphics Card?" Because Integrated will only last you a month or two at minimum before you get irritated with the low settings. I have seen a i7 3700k play BF3 with integrated graphics... it wasn't at max settings, but it didn't look bad either.



    Well i have lived with a Pentium 4 and a GTX 210 for a year or so... im used to it :P
  12. Is that cooler too much for overclocking and is there maybe a better one/cheaper one?
  13. The Integrated i5 Graphics are 7 Steps higher than the 210 on the hierarchy chart, so at least it will be faster

    I am also only playing LoL until i buy other games. LoL runs perfectly on my 210 so i think i will go for the upgradable setup.
  14. Lol. Really if you did go for the 7870, you might be surprised what it would do. I just got a 7850, nicest video card I've owned, I get it for Christmas. But reading I've done supposedly some ppl r getting 50% over locks on those, so I would think the 7870 would do well also.
  15. Thanks all for the advice! I think i will get the upgradable option and wait it until i can get a better graphics card (7870 or 7950)
  16. Best answer selected by camohanna.
  17. As an American living in NZ as well, prices here are insane! A simple AMD HD 6870 is more than 300$ here.
  18. While I can't comment on availability on NZ, I highly recommend looking into XFX brand GPUs when you are ready to purchase. They are excellent quality in my experience, run quiet (get the DoubleD version) and here in the states they come with a lifetime warranty.
  19. camohanna said:
    The Integrated i5 Graphics are 7 Steps higher than the 210 on the hierarchy chart, so at least it will be faster

    I am also only playing LoL until i buy other games. LoL runs perfectly on my 210 so i think i will go for the upgradable setup.


    LoL? I don't know what game that is. But the i5 will be a great upgrade in graphics compared to the 210. You'll love it. And Yes, the vapor x cooler will be enough. I'd also reccomend the HD 7970, it's the best AMD card ever. I like it. I'm on the fence about that or a GTX 670 lol.
  20. League of Legends
  21. camohanna said:
    League of Legends


    That game was made for the iSeries CPUs. You'll do just fine on low settings... I'd actually reccommend a Nvidia GPU for that game though. But It's really up to you. AMD Radeon make decent performance for cheap!
  22. griptwister said:
    That game was made for the iSeries CPUs. You'll do just fine on low settings... I'd actually reccommend a Nvidia GPU for that game though. But It's really up to you. AMD Radeon make decent performance for cheap!


    I run it on high with the 210 haha. I have also decided to get the TFII GTX660 so that will work fine!
  23. camohanna said:
    I run it on high with the 210 haha. I have also decided to get the TFII GTX660 so that will work fine!


    Perfect!!! Have fun on your new rig man!
  24. Thanks for all your help!
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt GPUs Antec Western Digital Systems Product