Sign in with
Your question

Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2GB GDDR5

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 29, 2012 10:45:42 PM

Hey.

I'm think of upgrading my pc with a new graphics card since games tend to get fps drops i certain zones when watching streams on the 2nd monitor. I currently run 2 monitors, but was also thinking of using a 3rd monitor.

I was looking at Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2GB GDDR5 as the replacement for my current graphics card(an ASUS EAH4870). I'm not planning using all 3 monitors for gaming(eyefinity). Basicly i want 1 screen to run my games, 1 screen for watching streams and shows and 1 for browsing such as facebook and google'ing, just surfing in general.

So i was wondering is the Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2GB GDDR5 able to run 3 monitors?

I know that on their site it says the card supports AMD eyefinity 2.0. It also says "To support 3 displays, one of the monitors has to support DisplayPort". Does using an adapter for displayport -> dvi work?

I'm really confused about this issue, cause there is alot of info out there about monitors and some are contridicting eachother.

More about : sapphire radeon 7850 2gb gddr5

a b U Graphics card
October 29, 2012 11:23:57 PM

You are actually confusing yourself with "eyefinity" and "multi-monitor configurations".

Eyefinity is the feature that allows a graphic card to run games up to 3, 6 or even 9 monitors. Only some cards support Eyefinity, some non-stock versions of the card does not have multi displayport outputs.

Multi-Monitor configurations are supported when you have multiple outputs at the back of your graphic card.
Basically any card from 2009 and newer will support multi-monitor setups.

Also, to answer your question, yes, a Radeon HD 7850 have enough power to display three screens at the same time,
but how can you game, browse and watch streams at the same time? I certainly can't...

Update : If its this card you're talking about : http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...
It should even support eyefinity. :D 

-Hope it helps! :) 
Bloc97
m
l
October 29, 2012 11:56:47 PM

Great answer Bloc97! I'm a bit wiser as of now, i guess i was confusing myself a bit :p 

Though the line "To support 3 displays, one of the monitors has to support DisplayPort" worries me. Since i already have a monitor stashed away somewhere that doesn't support DisplayPort. It would be great if I could use that. For my use, would an adapter work, or does one monitor have to support DisplayPort for the monitor to work?

To answer your question: In games I often get queue times for different things, and at that point i often tab out, and when I tab in again i missed the queue. This happens often, and also while idling and chatting in games it would be useful to have a 3rd screen for browsing when my 2nd screen's running streams. It's not that i absolutely need a 3rd, but i would like to try it out :) 

m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
October 30, 2012 12:28:02 AM

As told by AMD, eyefinity will ONLY work if at least one monitor has DisplayPort support, but some other people reported it working with an Active DP to DVI Adaptor.
Link here : http://www.overclock.net/t/580136/eyefinity-require-dis...

Be sure though if you want to take a risk buying a Adaptor, you will need a Active one, not Passive.
An active adaptor actually really convert the signal, usually needs a power connection, and tricks the graphic card that its connected to a screen.

A passive adaptor, is in most case, only a cable that replaces the pins, since digital signals are really similar. But the graphic card would detect the monitor as HDMI or DVI (depending on the cable) since the adaptor is not converting the signal, but merely adapting the cable.

Example of a Passive Adaptor : http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

Example of an Active Adaptor : http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

As you probably noticed, a Passive Adaptor usually costs less than a Active one, since there is no circuitry involved.

-Bloc97
m
l
November 1, 2012 12:52:09 PM

ma peke sta khor oghola
kos ye domra khkule o
memo ke me warl da gherh mande
dase pasta kuna ye wa
m
l
November 1, 2012 1:03:57 PM

bloc97 said:
You are actually confusing yourself with "eyefinity" and "multi-monitor configurations".

Eyefinity is the feature that allows a graphic card to run games up to 3, 6 or even 9 monitors. Only some cards support Eyefinity, some non-stock versions of the card does not have multi displayport outputs.

Multi-Monitor configurations are supported when you have multiple outputs at the back of your graphic card.
Basically any card from 2009 and newer will support multi-monitor setups.

Also, to answer your question, yes, a Radeon HD 7850 have enough power to display three screens at the same time,
but how can you game, browse and watch streams at the same time? I certainly can't...

Update : If its this card you're talking about : http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...
It should even support eyefinity. :D 

-Hope it helps! :) 
Bloc97

Good answer. Though I think he should go just a bit more powerful in his gpu. Maybe a 7870 if he/she has the money.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 7, 2012 8:07:58 PM

I would spend a little bit more for a 7870. Preferably the Gigabyte one. The cooling is great and the performance difference is quite large but even more so if you overclock or get the overclocked Gigabyte 7870 which will be even faster.

The 7850 can support 3 monitors and will quite well but if you have a bit more money to spend then I would definitely get the 7870.

Stay away from the XFX 7850 or 7870 as they tend to get quite hot. (87c) at full load.
m
l
Related resources
!