Sign in with
Your question

Hd intel graphics 4000 for gaming

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 29, 2012 10:53:51 PM

Hello,
I am thinking of getting my son this computer for Christmas...

Sony VAIO E15 Series SVE15125CXS 15.5-Inch Laptop\
2.5 GHz Intel Core i5 dual-core processor
Intel HD Graphics 4000

He is not a huge gamer but does play a little bit of everything....runescape, minecraft, etc. From researching, I know that the graphics card is the most important and the 4000 is not the best. But I was thinking for the money, this computer might suit his needs just fine.

Any input is appreciated!
Thanks!

a b U Graphics card
October 29, 2012 11:43:52 PM

As a father, how about showing your son some love by building a pc?

It's not very hard, and you are going to save lots of money, while adding quality parts.

I would if I were you :) 
m
l
Related resources
a c 133 U Graphics card
October 29, 2012 11:51:03 PM

lchrisk said:

It's not very hard, and you are going to save lots of money, while adding quality parts.

Then hand him a job application to get a job :p 
m
l
a c 358 U Graphics card
a c 115 å Intel
October 29, 2012 11:59:30 PM

lchrisk said:

There could be a reason why he intends on buying a laptop for his son... like perhaps carrying it around to / from school. Doing homework at a friend's place, dorm, library, cafeteria, etc... Kinda hard to lug around a desktop PC and a monitor if that is the intent.

m
l
October 30, 2012 12:04:09 AM

Thanks for the quick responses!

I will def consider the HP Pavilion. It is in the price range I am willing to spend (as close to $600 as possible, not over $700). It doesn't have to be the best but I want to get something he will use and be content with. He has a laptop now but screen is about to go. (Hp G62 Notebook, AMD II P320 dual-core 2.10 GHz, AMD M880G w/ ATIMobility Radeon HD4250)

Thanks for the advise on building my own. I started to go that route but he wants a laptop not a pc. LOL about the job! He was working until about 3 months ago...downsizing. Waiting to see if he makes basketball team before forcing him back out!
m
l
a c 358 U Graphics card
a c 115 å Intel
October 30, 2012 12:16:17 AM

rsimm625 said:
Hello,
I am thinking of getting my son this computer for Christmas...

Sony VAIO E15 Series SVE15125CXS 15.5-Inch Laptop\
2.5 GHz Intel Core i5 dual-core processor
Intel HD Graphics 4000

He is not a huge gamer but does play a little bit of everything....runescape, minecraft, etc. From researching, I know that the graphics card is the most important and the 4000 is not the best. But I was thinking for the money, this computer might suit his needs just fine.

Any input is appreciated!
Thanks!

The Intel HD 4000 is generally good enough to play casual types of games like the ones you mentioned especially since the laptop only has a 1366x768 resolution screen. I tested the Intel HD 3000 on my laptop with a couple of games. While no where near as powerful as the dedicated nVidia GT 550m, I actually found the Intel HD 3000 to give adequate performance in Fallout 3 and Mass Effect 3. I was able to complete ME3 at the highest difficulty level (Insanity) with just the Intel HD 3000. Of course the game would have been much "funner" with the GT 550m, the Intel HD 3000 was good enough if eye candy and very high frame rates are not a major concern. I have a friend who plays the Sims 3 with that very same Intel IGP.

So I've been going on an on about the Intel HD 3000... What does that have to do with the Intel HD 4000? Well, on average it provides 35% better performance which would have made the games I've played more "playable". As long as you son is not going to play very graphically demanding games, then the Intel HD 4000 should be fine.

An alternative is to look around for laptops based on AMD's Trinity A10 APU since the integrated graphics core is roughly 25% - 30% better performing than the Intel HD 4000. The only problem is that it seems these laptops are only rolling out slowly.
m
l
October 30, 2012 5:32:12 PM

Thanks for the info....

Can anyone recommend a specific laptop for low to moderate gaming in the $600-$700 range?? I have learned a bunch about the graphics cards and processors but having a hard time figuring out which laptop out there will give me the most bang for my buck!

Thanks!
m
l
a c 92 U Graphics card
October 30, 2012 7:11:08 PM

You can probably find a laptop with an AMD A10 cpu for less than $500 on sale on black friday or something. It will be generally 20-60% faster than the HD4000 in gaming.

Toshiba has a few AMD trinity laptops that are cheap you can look into.
m
l
a c 133 U Graphics card
October 30, 2012 9:39:42 PM

esrever said:
You can probably find a laptop with an AMD A10 cpu for less than $500 on sale on black friday or something. It will be generally 20-60% faster than the HD4000 in gaming.

Toshiba has a few AMD trinity laptops that are cheap you can look into.

This is true as well I liked the first one I linked because it is a dual graphics solution :p  but yea black friday should yield some good sales for AMD A10 laptops. I'd just be careful and get a warranty normally when things go on sale sometimes its the things they are trying to get rid of or has problems.
m
l
November 3, 2012 6:56:54 AM

If you looking for a decent gaming laptop you might consider some of the following:

www.dell.com/outlet - Here you can search by dedicated graphics, price, etc. They are always running specials, so check retailmenot.com before purchasing, chances are they will have a coupon you can use. You can pick up a nice Dell XPS 15z for around $700 if you are lucky. Inventory here goes fast so check back often.

www.dealnews.com - Here they always keep up to date best deals on stuff, laptops included. You may be able to find a decent price here if you know what you are looking for.

www.lenovo.com - They make some decent spec laptops with nice graphics cards and usually are running specials weekly. Check out this link, the Ideapad Y570 would work good for him and its only $650 right now.

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/Len...

Hope this helps,

m
l
November 3, 2012 6:58:16 AM

There you go!
m
l
April 30, 2013 7:24:56 PM

Haven't buyed my graphic card & decided to install a few games to see what's going on with this gpu... I can play AC Revelations 1368x768 in very high settings & AC III same resolution on high settings... I'm pretty impresived with this gpu's performance! I'll better wait a few months to get any video card when they drop the price lol! Good luck with it!
m
l
June 4, 2013 4:01:32 AM

get a asus ultra-book and one more thing 4000 hd graphic card is the standard graphic card your son could play statecraft 2 or call of duty modern warfare 3 you are not gonna expect to play battlefield 4 only this gen games not next gen
m
l
!