System Usage from Most to Least Important: GPU & CPU Rendering, Video Editing & Encoding
Additional Comments: Goals in order of importance are: 1)Performance, 2)Quiet
1. I'm looking to buy PowerDirector Ultra 11 and am building a computer for it. I'm trying to determine what CPU and GPU I should put in. Is the parallelism on the GPU or the CPU more important? The PD site boasts the ability for PD to use multiple GPUs and shows a computer w/ Intel Core i5-3570 CPU (w/ integrated Intel HD Graphics 4000). It has a 2nd GPU, the nVidia GeForce GTX 680, which has CUDA blocks for additional parallelism.
a. How much parallelism for video rendering is PD Ultra 11 written for – does it distribute across the 2 GPUs and then across the CUDA blocks?
b. How much parallelism for CPU processing is the s/w written for – I think most s/w is written to not take advantage of more than 4 cores on a CPU so … would going for a CPU with 6 cores (and Hyperthreading) give much of a gain for PD Ultra 11?
c. Bottom line: which of the following would result in better video editing performance:
• Configuration 1: Better GPU
=> CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K Processor (8M Cache, 3.5-3.90 GHz, 4 cores, Intel HD Graphics 4000)
=> GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 680
• Configuration 2: Better CPU
=> CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K Processor (12M Cache, up to 3.80 GHz, 6 cores; no integrated graphics card)
=> GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 570
d. So … would the second configuration be better, with a faster/better CPU but with no second (integrated) graphics card but using an nVidia card that has multiple CUDA blocks for video-rendering parallelism or would the first one be better with a CPU that’s probably 25% slower, only 4 cores, but uses 2 GPUs (and the second one has CUDA blocks for additional parallelism
2. I read that CyberLink PowerDirector supports hardware acceleration on the nVidia cards; is that the same as taking advantage of parallel video rendering using CUDA blocks?
3. One site recommended nVidia Quadro 4000 for the GPU for Video Editing. Is it much of a performance gain over the above GPUs?