$1000 "Everything, Decently" Build

anamatic

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
Let's get right to it. I plan on using this build for pretty much anything. Movies, gaming, music, editing, browsing, programming, creation, destruction. Essentially, as long as it doesn't have any devastatingly weak points, as long as anything runs decently or greater, it's fine with me. What I'm concerned about is longevity. I'd like it to last a good long time. Note that I'm not interested in the latest gaming graphics.

Also note that $1000 includes OS and monitor. Without, it would be around $700.

Part list:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/sZ6n

Summary (links are all newegg, for specs):
CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189 @ microcenter)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H77-DS3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1333 Memory
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 1GB Video Card
Case: Antec Three Hundred ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Antec Neo Eco 520W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHDS118-04 DVD/CD Drive
Monitor: Asus VW246H 24.0" Monitor
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)

Some points:
■No overclocking. No SLI.
■If for some reason I miss out on the 3570k deal, which is currently available at microcenter for cheaper, the alternative is a 3450.
■Storage, memory, and optical drive, may change as well. I'll being looking around while I'm at microcenter. I'll be keen on keeping the specs compatible.
■I may look around for a different monitor as well, but it will most certainly be 24" 1920x1080, unless I find a 1920x1200 for cheaper (haha).
■I'm starting with 2x2GB of memory, then adding another 2x2GB if I feel that I need it.
■The case isn't compatible with USB 3.0 headers, but I'm not concerned about it. Not getting the 302.
■I will probably be getting a second monitor in the future. It wont be anything special, just a little extra space.
■I'll be using an old Model M keyboard with PS/2 for programming/typing (got it for free), and a cheap ass-keyboard for everything else. A PS/2 port is ideal, as the adapter I'm using now is screwy.
■I had a hard time deciding on a motherboard. I tried, but advice would be appreciated here.

Some Questions:
■Would the 2GB version of the GPU be worth it? I hear it's more future proof, and it would go better with my monitor resolution. However, graphics are not a priority for me. As long as games run decent, it's fine. It's unlikely that I'll be playing any of the benchmarks anyway.
■I've heard that 78XX crashes on occasion. How much of a problem is this

If you require the template:

Approximate Purchase Date: within the week
Budget Range: $900-$1000, before shipping
System Usage from Most to Least Important: movies, gaming, music, browsing, programming, image editing, video editing... Anything, everything, decently. Hard to prioritize.
Are you buying a monitor: Yes
Parts to Upgrade: Everything is new
Do you need to buy OS: Yes
Preferred Website(s) for Parts: microcenter, newegg, amazon, places that aren't shady
Parts Preferences: Intel, I suppose
Overclocking: No
SLI or Crossfire: No
Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080 (1920x1200 if I can find it cheap)
Additional Comments: I want longevity and flexibility.
And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: For nearly 5 years I've been squeezing the life out of a dell laptop. As of now it's permanently bed-ridden on life support. Upgrading seems reasonable.

DeusAres

Distinguished
Here ya go. I squeezed in a HD 7870. This should be more than enough performance for your needs.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($214.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z75 Pro3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Patriot Intel Extreme Master, Limited Ed 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($31.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: HIS Radeon HD 7870 2GB Video Card ($204.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Antec Three Hundred Illusion ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Antec Neo Eco 620W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($17.89 @ Outlet PC)
Monitor: Acer G245HQLbd 60Hz 23.6" Monitor ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $934.78
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-12-18 00:16 EST-0500)

As for the GPU crashing problem, I haven't really heard much about it. Just download and install the latest, stable drivers and you should be good to go.

If Microcenter lives up to its deals, you might be able to snag an i5 2500k for $160. That's a hell of a deal and should never be passed up. I would then allocate my saved cash towards either a better GPU or monitor.

Also, if you're going to get an i5 3570k, don't get a motherboard with the H77 chipset. That's a waste. The 3570k is meant to be overclocked. You can easily get an overclock of 4.5GHz with the ASRock Z75 Pro3. It's essentially the same thing as the Z77 chipset with the exception that it doesn't have Intel's Smart Response Technology. It's a caching feature for SSDs. Nothing you really need to worry about.

I know you stated you didn't want to overclock. But it's truly a simple feat. You don't even have to overclock it very far. 4.0 GHz would be more than enough. There's plenty of tutorials and you don't have to do it right away. It's just nice to have that ability at hand if needed.

anamatic

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
The 7870 seems like overkill. I could have mentioned that I am pushing the budget a little bit, so I'm all for reducing the price. Would there be significant problem with a 1GB 7850 and a 1920x1080 monitor?

I realized just now that I forgot to consider the second monitor. This wouldn't be anywhere near the res of the first. Of course, it depends. For all I know, may only ever need the one monitor. Though, if I were to buy one, how would it factor in?

The reason why I chose the 3570k is because it was the cheapest I could get without going down a few pegs (it was actually $169 at one point; screwed up by not grabbing it then). Sure it's meant for overclocking, but if the price beats anything near it, I might as well. Overclocking still seems iffy. Remember: longevity. How much would I be able to OC without reducing lifespan?

I was going to go with a B75 motherboard, but I must have gotten lost in the motherboard confusion. If I weren't overclocking, would that be the ideal chipset?

The only difference I see in the case is the rebate, the appearance, and (quite subtly) the size. I still kinda like the original better... Perhaps I'll go with it if I end up with extra cash.

DeusAres

Distinguished
Lifespan of a CPU typically depends on the vcore and heat. As long as your voltage is low, heat is fairly low, and the overclock is stable, you should be just fine. Clock speeds aren't what kills a CPU. With the Hyper 212 Evo, you won't have to worry about this.

The cases are essentially the same. I just chose the Illusion since it came with 2 extra fans and included LEDs.

To make a long story short, you're going to want at least a 2gb 7850 or a 2gb 7870. The extra VRam will help with multiple monitors and games that utilize extra video memory.

As for the motherboards, the H77 is the chipset you'll want if you aren't going to overclock. If you are going to overclock sometime in the future, you'll want to grab either a Z75 or Z77 based board. I'd recommend that you just go ahead and grab the Z75 board I suggested above. Even if you get the parts now, you don't have to overclock right away. You can just wait until you feel comfortable.

anamatic

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
Probably going to go with this 2GB 7850:
XFX Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card

I'm pretty certain I wont be playing big enough games to be able to tell the difference from the 7870.

What I was going to do initially was not overclock now, but overclock in the future. Then I looked it up, and decided that it was too much of a hassle. I suppose if I learn more about it, it wouldn't seem so intimidating. For now, I can just omit the Hyper 212 and run on the stock cooler, and buy it later when I finally feel like overclocking.

Thank you so much for the help! It's quite reassuring to have a second opinion. If I get the chance, I'll post the final list of parts that I'll have purchased.