$1000 Gaming Build

This is my first build. :hello:
Budget about $1000.
Let me know if it sounds good to you guys and feel free to modify/suggest!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($129.98 @ Outlet PC)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($49.98 @ Outlet PC)
Storage: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($99.99 @ B&H)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($129.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card ($209.99 @ Microcenter)
Power Supply: Antec Basiq Plus 550W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224BB/RSBS DVD/CD Writer ($20.95 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $980.84
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-12-18 03:01 EST-0500)
9 answers Last reply
More about 1000 gaming build
  1. The link doesnt work, go to the list of parts you have, and there should be a button that gives you the list in BB code. Use that, it makes it much easier to find out what you have and recommend
  2. PANZER4 said:
    The link doesnt work, go to the list of parts you have, and there should be a button that gives you the list in BB code. Use that, it makes it much easier to find out what you have and recommend

Ahh thanks! Fixed!
  3. That's an excellent build, the only thing that you could really change are the video card. From what I know the progression is something like 7870>660>7850
    But from what I know there so close it really depends on the game and settings.
    Also, what heatsink are you planning on using? I can't see one listed.
    BTW, what are you planning on using it for? It's pretty damn hard to fill up a 3 TBs of space
  4. PANZER4 said:
    That's an excellent build, the only thing that you could really change are the video card. From what I know the progression is something like 7870>660>7850
    But from what I know there so close it really depends on the game and settings.
    Also, what heatsink are you planning on using? I can't see one listed.
    BTW, what are you planning on using it for? It's pretty damn hard to fill up a 3 TBs of space

Thanks! I think I'm good with 660 for the value.
    And I'm not sure if I will overclock it so not determined on heatsink yet...? I was looking at a Coolmaster 212 EVO though.
    I'm just planning on using it for gaming and basic Office work. My friend chose the 3TB cuz it's the best value (space/dollar)? But if you can recommend me a dependable, cheaper 2TB HDD I'd be grateful :)
  5. tristbane said:
    Thanks! I think I'm good with 660 for the value.
    And I'm not sure if I will overclock it so not determined on heatsink yet...? I was looking at a Coolmaster 212 EVO though.
    I'm just planning on using it for gaming and basic Office work. My friend chose the 3TB cuz it's the best value (space/dollar)? But if you can recommend me a dependable, cheaper 2TB HDD I'd be grateful :)

I would get the 212 EVO, on of the best bang/buck heatsinks there is. The intel stock heatsink is passable, but if you ever want to overclock get the EVO.
    As for the hard drive, I think about it this way: are you ever going to use all that space? I've got a terabyte and I've barely filled it up to a tenth of its capacity. If your going to put movies and/or LOTS of games, then maybe you can fill up the 3 TB, but otherwise...
    Hope I helped
  6. PANZER4 said:
    I would get the 212 EVO, on of the best bang/buck heatsinks there is. The intel stock heatsink is passable, but if you ever want to overclock get the EVO.
    As for the hard drive, I think about it this way: are you ever going to use all that space? I've got a terabyte and I've barely filled it up to a tenth of its capacity. If your going to put movies and/or LOTS of games, then maybe you can fill up the 3 TB, but otherwise...
    Hope I helped

Haha maybe I'll cut down on that cuz I have external hard drives... and then use that money for a better graphic card...?
  7. Well, if it saves you enough money to go up a level to the 7950/660ti, then great!!
    BTW, don't think you have to cut down because I told you, I was just giving you an example. Everyone's needs are different. For gaming though, and mainly games and office documents, then 1-2 TBs should be enough. (I just don't want you to be swearing at that random forum poster because you ran out of space :P)

Good luck when you order and build it :D
  8. PANZER4 said:
    Well, if it saves you enough money to go up a level to the 7950/660ti, then great!!
    BTW, don't think you have to cut down because I told you, I was just giving you an example. Everyone's needs are different. For gaming though, and mainly games and office documents, then 1-2 TBs should be enough. (I just don't want you to be swearing at that random forum poster because you ran out of space :P)

Good luck when you order and build it :D

Thanks! It's okay. I decided to cut down because I figured I can store most of my stuff in my external hard drive and keep the computer pretty clean.
    Can you or anyone recommend a good 7950/660Ti GPU?
    I think I can go for one around $270 now :D
  9. What do you guys think of this build?
    A tiny bit over my $1000 mark (w/o tax) but I can take it

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($129.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($49.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
    Storage: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($99.99 @ B&H)
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($279.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Rosewill Green 630W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($17.89 @ Outlet PC)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Total: $997.77
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-12-18 07:01 EST-0500)
Ask a new question

Read More

Build Systems Product