Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Will this be Eyefinity/Surround compliant?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 30, 2012 7:42:24 AM

I know there's a sticky up there about Eyefinity but I still don't understand and in a rush to return these monitors if they are not compatible with Eyefinity or Surround.

I basically purchased these Dell S2340M from Best Buy (price matched to Fry's Electronics) for $138.99 + tax.

Anyways, they are AMAZINGLY thin. The bezels all around (excluding the bottom portion) measures to out 1cm or about 0.40 inches. Which is really thin for the price. The catch is that the monitors are apparently being discontinued and that they do not have HDMI or Display Port. They only sport VGA and DVI-D.

So now my main question is that will these 3 monitors I purchased today be compliant with Eyefinity or Surround? I'm planning to buy an HD 7970 or GTX 670 in the near upcoming months.

Thank you for all your replies. Much appreciate. ;) 

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
October 30, 2012 12:57:42 PM

The nvidia cards can do surround over DVI from what I've heard, but I havent actually tried one. My experience is more with the ATI side of things. The ATI card will be capable of using the monitors but you'll need the right cables and adapters.

For an ATI card you would need:
1.) Monitor would be connected directly using DVI
2.) Monitor would be connected using an HDMI to DVI Cable
3.) Monitor would be connected using a Displayport to DVI adapater.

So basically for ATI you'll need an HDMI to DVI cable for one monitor, and a Displayport to DVI adapter for the other. Be sure to pick one of the adapters that specifically lists EyeFinity compatability.
a c 123 U Graphics card
a c 85 C Monitor
October 30, 2012 1:21:28 PM

Note to the above.
You need an Active Displayport adapter for Eyefinity to work. If you notice that there's a $30 difference between two adapters, that's probably the reason why. Ones Active, others Passive.
m
l
Related resources
October 31, 2012 4:59:01 AM

AdioKIP said:
The nvidia cards can do surround over DVI from what I've heard, but I havent actually tried one. My experience is more with the ATI side of things. The ATI card will be capable of using the monitors but you'll need the right cables and adapters.

For an ATI card you would need:
1.) Monitor would be connected directly using DVI
2.) Monitor would be connected using an HDMI to DVI Cable
3.) Monitor would be connected using a Displayport to DVI adapater.

So basically for ATI you'll need an HDMI to DVI cable for one monitor, and a Displayport to DVI adapter for the other. Be sure to pick one of the adapters that specifically lists EyeFinity compatability.

manofchalk said:
Note to the above.
You need an Active Displayport adapter for Eyefinity to work. If you notice that there's a $30 difference between two adapters, that's probably the reason why. Ones Active, others Passive.

Thanks for the quick replies guys. I'll be keeping these monitors. They're so nice, the bezels are extremely thin for being stock. ~1cm. Anyways, I'll just be hunting for a nice GPU near Black Friday. :) 

I'll keep in mind about the active adapter. Thanks! :) 
m
l
October 31, 2012 4:59:30 AM

Best answer selected by k3u.
m
l
!