Sign in with
Your question

Low Profile Graphics Card for 240 Watt PSU

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 30, 2012 10:28:21 AM

Hello,

Thank you for even clicking on this thread to read, I sincerely appreciate it. Thank you very much. :) 

I'm planning to purchase a computer for my mum (as she has always wanted to use one), she lives in a council/government provided house. If she wishes to use electricty/gas, she needs to prepay the funds; for example, she needs to top-up £10 for £10 worth of electricty (when I'm older and have a job, I'll get her out of this house). As a result, I have been looking for a low power consumption computer, and have found a HP Compaq DC5800, Small Form Factor (click for specifications on HP web site, thank you).

The PC has a maximum power consumption of 240 watts; and takes a PCI Express x16 GPU at a low-profile form. My budget for a graphics card is around or lower than £30.

So my question: Will I be able to add graphics card which are recommended at 300 watts Such as the NVIDIA GeForce 610 GT low profile? Or would you recommend any graphics card for a 240 watt power supply? I don't mind either NVIDIA or ATI, and I will probably use DVI to connect to the monitor.

Sorry for the bother, and thank you for your assistance. I really can't thank you all enough, thank you. :) 

P.S. Computer specs are: Core 2 Duo @ 2.33 GHz and 2GB DDR2 RAM, with DVD drive, and 80GB HDD
October 30, 2012 10:41:20 AM

why do you need a graphics card
she's not gonna game is she?
use the on bord graphics.
a c 123 U Graphics card
October 30, 2012 11:57:21 AM

Why not get a laptop with an HDMI output?

You can still hook it up as a regular computer:
- HDMI->DVI cable, and
- headphone jack->speakers (via 3.5mm M-M cable)

OR HDMI->HDMI for HDTV or monitor with HDMI+speakers

A laptop is smaller, quieter, and similarly powerful as an equally priced desktop. They also have a battery in case of power failure and of course can be used outside the house.

*You can change the POWER SETTINGS so that closing the lid does not turn off the computer or put it into Standby.

ON/OFF:
Simply set the laptop to auto Standby when not needed and you can start it with a mouse or keyboard.

SUMMARY:
- just get a laptop
- can use like a normal computer (monitor, USB keyboard/mouse)
- never have to open the lid (just Standby the laptop)
- quiet/small
- battery
Related resources
October 30, 2012 12:27:28 PM

Obnoxious said:
Hello,

Thank you for even clicking on this thread to read, I sincerely appreciate it. Thank you very much. :) 

I'm planning to purchase a computer for my mum (as she has always wanted to use one), she lives in a council/government provided house. If she wishes to use electricty/gas, she needs to prepay the funds; for example, she needs to top-up £10 for £10 worth of electricty (when I'm older and have a job, I'll get her out of this house). As a result, I have been looking for a low power consumption computer, and have found a HP Compaq DC5800, Small Form Factor (click for specifications on HP web site, thank you).

The PC has a maximum power consumption of 240 watts; and takes a PCI Express x16 GPU at a low-profile form. My budget for a graphics card is around or lower than £30.

So my question: Will I be able to add graphics card which are recommended at 300 watts Such as the NVIDIA GeForce 610 GT low profile? Or would you recommend any graphics card for a 240 watt power supply? I don't mind either NVIDIA or ATI, and I will probably use DVI to connect to the monitor.

Sorry for the bother, and thank you for your assistance. I really can't thank you all enough, thank you. :) 

P.S. Computer specs are: Core 2 Duo @ 2.33 GHz and 2GB DDR2 RAM, with DVD drive, and 80GB HDD

The Radeon HD 6450 draws very little power and is available in a low profile form factor. It's not meant for gaming but for a low power discrete graphics card, it's ideal. It's also very inexpensive.

I have used them in Dell SFF desktops and they work great. Oh, did I mention that many (ASUS) were fanless and thus, completely silent?
October 30, 2012 1:01:53 PM

I'd have to agree with rushfan on this one. The HD 6450 is the way to go, however, if you want the absolute cheapest card you can get that would be capable of light gaming whatsoever, it would be the GeForce GT 210. If you can spend a bit more though, get the 6450, it beats the 210 by a large margin
October 30, 2012 5:59:44 PM

adamdbz: Once I get a new TV for her too, I will hook up the PC to the TV via HDMI. I will also connect the PC to the monitor via DVI-D. Additionally, when I can set her up with Internet, she may browse videos; perhaps in HD too. Thank you for your response. :) 

photonboy: Thank you for your response. I like the idea of a laptop actually, but I'm not too sure if I'll go with it, since I want to set her up with a PC this Sunday; so I need to order soon. I'll quickly look into it, and honestly, I do like the idea of charging the battery, instead of constantly using electricity. I'll look online for desktops and laptops within my budget. If I find a good laptop, which I think is better than an actual desktop; I'll purchase it. Again, I love the idea; she can even take it upstairs. Wow, thank you for your suggestion! Thank you very much. :) 

rushfan: Thank you very much for your answer rushfan! I extremely appreciate it. My mother won't game anyway, just a couple HD videos here and there; that's about it. I've seen a couple of Asus ones without fans, just heatsinks, and they seem like a great choice. It'll be fine on a 240watt PSU right? Sorry for the bother, since before creating this thread, I had done countless research, and now I'm wondering if it's OK to run a recommended 300 watt PSU on a 240 watt one.

Sorry for the bother, and thank you once again! :D 

12345690: I see, haha. Thank you very much too! Depends on the price, if I can get it for around £30 or less. Haha, considering the recommended watts too. Thank you for your response, I'll look into it. Thank you again. :) 
October 30, 2012 6:31:25 PM

Obnoxious said:
adamdbz: Once I get a new TV for her too, I will hook up the PC to the TV via HDMI. I will also connect the PC to the monitor via DVI-D. Additionally, when I can set her up with Internet, she may browse videos; perhaps in HD too. Thank you for your response. :) 

photonboy: Thank you for your response. I like the idea of a laptop actually, but I'm not too sure if I'll go with it, since I want to set her up with a PC this Sunday; so I need to order soon. I'll quickly look into it, and honestly, I do like the idea of charging the battery, instead of constantly using electricity. I'll look online for desktops and laptops within my budget. If I find a good laptop, which I think is better than an actual desktop; I'll purchase it. Again, I love the idea; she can even take it upstairs. Wow, thank you for your suggestion! Thank you very much. :) 

rushfan: Thank you very much for your answer rushfan! I extremely appreciate it. My mother won't game anyway, just a couple HD videos here and there; that's about it. I've seen a couple of Asus ones without fans, just heatsinks, and they seem like a great choice. It'll be fine on a 240watt PSU right? Sorry for the bother, since before creating this thread, I had done countless research, and now I'm wondering if it's OK to run a recommended 300 watt PSU on a 240 watt one.

Sorry for the bother, and thank you once again! :D 

12345690: I see, haha. Thank you very much too! Depends on the price, if I can get it for around £30 or less. Haha, considering the recommended watts too. Thank you for your response, I'll look into it. Thank you again. :) 

You shouldn't have any trouble with a 240 watt power supply. The fanless card's idle power consumption is only around 9 watts and even when pushed to the limit, the 6450 will still draw in the low 20's.

As you might have learned, you can connect a TV to the 6450's HDMI output for home theatre style viewing. The image quality is outstanding and you get both picture and sound through one simple cable. The HD 6450 is an ideal HTPC card in many ways.
a c 92 U Graphics card
October 30, 2012 6:48:21 PM

If she is just looking for something with web surfing and HD video, a laptop might actually be the better buy over a desktop. A laptop has power consumption of about 50w loaded while low powered desktops are ussually about 300w (monitor power included). The difference between idle is also pretty significant, probably a 100w difference.

If you can find something with a AMD A series or E series APU, it should be enough for everyday use and HD video and consume very little power.

!