Ok trying to build a $500 computer with old parts

Hello,

So I bought a CPU a while ago (1 year ago?) and didn't get to even finish building it and now that I want to start again, my part is pretty much dated. (I know, bad investment to go buy computer parts without using them right away)

My questions are:

What is a good $500ish computer that I can make with these parts

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition
SanDisk SSD 240GB G25

I am mainly asking for if there is a good updated parts that I can build around what I have other than what was published last year

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/phenom-ii-overclock-graphics-card,3032.html
9 answers Last reply
More about build computer parts
  1. well all together like a mobo, case, pcu and dvd rom or a whole thing like monitor mouse and video card
  2. Ok let me rephrase my question. For Budget gaming PC, what MoBo goes perfectly with this dated CPU at a reasonable price (sub $100)
  3. If you want on-board video, the GIGABYTE GA-880GM-USB3 AM3+ AMD 880G HDMI USB 3.0 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard might be a good choice
    If you have a video card and don't care about on-board graphics then the ASRock 970 EXTREME3 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard may work although it is full ATX size so that may be a factor
  4. if you are going to game do not use onboard video as it'll suck here are my suggestions
    Asus M5A78L it is an am3+ socket but your phenom will fit it and there is the ability to stick a piledriver or steamroller in it at a later date.
    get a radeon hd 7850 and any psu that give's 600W will do and any dvd drive doesnt matter and for case i recommend a cit vantage case i have one it has brilliant air flow and find a cheap custom cpu cooler as the stock one's suck.
  5. BIOSTAR A880GZ

what's your opinion on this motherboard
  6. Meh. I'd go with ASRock Extreme4 970. That board is alright but Biostar isn't the best. ASRock is considered to be part of the big 4 of PCB builders.
  7. the thing is I'm in delicate balance of performance and price

and the difference between Biostar and the Extreme4 is $50, while to Extreme3 is $30. still worth the extra bucks to go Asrock?
  8. Well the ASRock board I reccomended is 100$. That leaves you with 400$ for a CPU cooler, a decent case, RAM, a PSU, and an optical drive (if you need one). Thats plenty, but not much for a good graphics - you may either need a board with onboard graphics, or buy a cheap graphics card - something like a Radeon 7770. Thats about 150$. That, a 100$ motherboard, 40$ RAM, 60$ case, 60$ PSU. That leaves you with 90$ for a cooler and optical drive!
  9. This topic has been moved from the section CPU & Components to section Systems by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Computer Build Systems Product