Ok trying to build a $500 computer with old parts

pandastew

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
Hello,

So I bought a CPU a while ago (1 year ago?) and didn't get to even finish building it and now that I want to start again, my part is pretty much dated. (I know, bad investment to go buy computer parts without using them right away)

My questions are:

What is a good $500ish computer that I can make with these parts

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition
SanDisk SSD 240GB G25

I am mainly asking for if there is a good updated parts that I can build around what I have other than what was published last year

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/phenom-ii-overclock-graphics-card,3032.html

roza95

Honorable
Dec 16, 2012
if you are going to game do not use onboard video as it'll suck here are my suggestions
Asus M5A78L it is an am3+ socket but your phenom will fit it and there is the ability to stick a piledriver or steamroller in it at a later date.
get a radeon hd 7850 and any psu that give's 600W will do and any dvd drive doesnt matter and for case i recommend a cit vantage case i have one it has brilliant air flow and find a cheap custom cpu cooler as the stock one's suck.

pandastew

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
the thing is I'm in delicate balance of performance and price

and the difference between Biostar and the Extreme4 is $50, while to Extreme3 is $30. still worth the extra bucks to go Asrock?

payturr

Honorable
Dec 3, 2012
Well the ASRock board I reccomended is 100$. That leaves you with 400$ for a CPU cooler, a decent case, RAM, a PSU, and an optical drive (if you need one). Thats plenty, but not much for a good graphics - you may either need a board with onboard graphics, or buy a cheap graphics card - something like a Radeon 7770. Thats about 150$. That, a 100$ motherboard, 40$ RAM, 60$ case, 60$ PSU. That leaves you with 90$ for a cooler and optical drive!