Sign in with
Your question
Solved

First gaming build, check

Last response: in Systems
December 18, 2012 3:27:36 AM

I've been looking up parts to build a gaming computer that's not too expensive (>$1000). I've spent a couple months searching and have come up with this list

CPU:Intel Core i5-3570k
Motherboard: ASUS P8B75-M/CSM LGA 1155 Intel B75
Case:Antec Three Hundred Illusion
Storage:WD Caviar Green 1.5TB HDD
Graphics Card:Sapphire HD Radeon 7850
Memory:2 x 4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 RAM
PSU:Raidmax Hybrid 530W
Optical Drive:ASUS DRW DVD Burner
Monitor:Hanns-G 15.6'' LCD
Keyboard/Mouse:Logitech MK320
Speakers:Gigabyte GP-S2000 4
Sound Card:Rosewill RC-701 5.1

In total they cost about $880, when priced on Newegg though I don't plan to buy them all from Newegg. I plan to play games like Skyrim, Planetside 2, Guild Wars 2, and XCOM, what quality can I achieve?

So how does all this check out? Are they all compatible with each other? Do these seem like good choices?
I would also like to know if 530 watts is enough to run the system.
The speakers and sound cards are really cheap because I really don't need that much. I'm not sure if I should get a cheaper sound card or stick with onboard sound.
If there are better parts with price-to-performance ratios and don't go over $900 then please let me know. Also tell if you know find them somewhere for cheap
Leave me your opinions/thoughts/recommendations, thanks.

More about : gaming build check

Best solution

December 18, 2012 4:07:26 AM

If you are overclocking, you really want to get a better (Z77) motherboard. It'll cost quite a bit more though.
If you aren't overclocking, you might as well drop the 3570k to a cheaper 3*** series i5. Performance out of the box is very similar.

Don't use Caviar Green as a boot drive, it's their low power usage series. Black/Blue are better, will cost you more though.

Case has no USB3.0 ports. Might not be an issue now but more and more things will become USB3.0 standard, might as well get a case that supports it, most motherboards have a header these days. Antec Three Hundred Two is the updated version.

Graphics card is fine enough for lower resolutions. If you stick with that monitor, it'll be fine, which brings me to...

The monitor is kinda crappy. It's quite small for a modern monitor, is pretty low resolution, as a response time of 16ms (poor) and has no digital input. I know I keep saying it, but if you want something up to date, you'll really have to spend more.

PSU - very crappy. The wattage is perfectly sufficient but it's a very poor quality PSU. Entry level XFX, Corsair, Seasonic and Antec are good brands to look at. My preference is the XFX core 450/550 right now, made by Seasonic and really nicely priced.

Sound card - buying a cheap sound card doesn't make much sense. Your motherboard has a cheap soundcard in it. It's just a waste of money.

Overall, I'd say you are on the right track. You might want to consider where you are spending your money though. The CPU is essentially the best gaming CPU on the planet but most of the other components aren't in the same league. You'll get a much better experience overall by adjusting your CPU downwards and more or less everything else upwards.
December 18, 2012 9:40:05 AM

This topic has been moved from the section CPU & Components to section Systems by Mousemonkey
m
l
Related resources
December 18, 2012 11:48:23 AM

Get an Asrock Extreme 4 z77.
Get at least a Caviar Blue, preferably a 120GB ssd to boot.
Psu is junk. Look at Corsair or Seasonic.
Monitor is junk. You want at least a 21.5" 1920x1080.
Drop the sound card.
Don't cheap out on keyboard/mouse. You will notice that more than any other part.
Get a 212 evo.
m
l
December 18, 2012 11:02:35 PM

wanderer11 said:
Get an Asrock Extreme 4 z77.
Get at least a Caviar Blue, preferably a 120GB ssd to boot.
Psu is junk. Look at Corsair or Seasonic.
Monitor is junk. You want at least a 21.5" 1920x1080.
Drop the sound card.
Don't cheap out on keyboard/mouse. You will notice that more than any other part.
Get a 212 evo.

I definitely agree that the monitor is junk. I had a Hanns G 19" and there's a string of dead pixels on it, I replaced it with my 24" Acer - HUGE improvement. That power supply is also from one of the worst brands in the industry.

Quote:
Case has no USB3.0 ports. Might not be an issue now but more and more things will become USB3.0 standard, might as well get a case that supports it, most motherboards have a header these days. Antec Three Hundred Two is the updated version.

If you really need a USB 3.0 bracket you can always buy one for like $10 at Fry's or Micro Center.

I think for $1000 I'd drop that whole build and get this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($87.55 @ Newegg)
Memory: Mushkin Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($88.98 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($200.98 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Source 210 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($35.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 600W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($51.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($22.98 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Acer G245HQLbd 60Hz 23.6" Monitor ($158.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $987.40
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-12-18 20:02 EST-0500)

Then you can add whatever keyboard and mouse you want.
m
l
December 27, 2012 3:22:31 PM

Best answer selected by Enderverse.
m
l
!