Ghost

G

If I have multiple partitions on a drive, and I want to make an image of my Windows partition, does it take the whole drive or just the partition? What I did was I made an image of an old drive. Then I set up the partition to be the exact same size on the new drive, plus another partition with 2 logical drives in it. When I loaded the image it wiped out my extended partition and added it to the main one. So before I reinstall everything I want to know if I can just backup the main partition once it's been installed on the drive?

I like to turkey!?!

Assuming the image is your C:, then you will need to be running the old components (video, OS, etc.). I would copy the image to your primary partition, <b>then</b> partition off some logical partitions with Partition Magic or similar. NOT fdisk!

<b><font color=blue>~scribble~</font color=blue></b> :wink: <A HREF="http://www.ud.com/home.htm" target="_new">Help cure cancer.</A>

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
ok
when you "ghost" you have several choices, you can clone an entire drive onto another drive, a partition to a partition, a partition to a drive, or the one that you need, a partition to an image. run ghost, choose PARTITION to IMAGE, you will be asked what partition, and then you will be asked for a location for the image, this must be on a seperate partition or drive, once "ghosted" you will have a file called XXX.GHO where XXX is the name you called the image. if you need to ghost back, choose IMAGE to PARTITION, select the image (in this case XXX.GHO) and the destination partition.

Next time you wave - use all your fingers