Dragonmike

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2001
...and quick...

Hey folks

My friend's DELL has been shipped with the DVD/CD-rom plugged on the same IDE-cable as the CD-burner, i.e. it's not possible to do "on-the-fly"-copies (duh!)

Currently the HD is primary master, cd/dvdrom = secondary master, and cd-burner = secondary slave.

I guess I'm gonna do the following:

plug the cd-burner to the other IDE-cable and changing the jumper to "primary slave"-setting

Is that the best thing to do?

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
I myself would put the CD burner on a cable by itself and put the DVD drive on the same cable as the hard drive. The CD burner is the device where steady sustained bandwidth will be most critical.

Kelledin
[dave@discovery ~] kill -9 1
init: Just what do you think you're doing, Dave?

Frocer

Distinguished
May 28, 2001
Agreed, or buy a raid card as well as a new harddrive, that way you can put all devices on its own IDE channels. HEH

Dragonmike

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2001
Hmmm, according to what you say, kelledin, I'd have to switch the jumpers on both devices, i.e. I'd put the cdrom on primary slave and the burner on secondary master, huh?

bum_jcrules

Distinguished
May 12, 2001
Correct!

That way both the HDD and the Burner will have primary access to each cable and the DVD will have secondary on the IDE with the HDD. So when you burn you will have maximum bandwith for the burner. Disk to disk will be faster also.

<b>All for one and one for all...and 3 for 5! - Curly - The Three Stooges</b> :lol:

Stick_e_Mouse

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
it's not possible to do "on-the-fly"-copies (duh!)
Yes, it is still possible to do on-the-fly copies with both drives on the same channel.

See a real naked pic of Britney Spears <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/stick_e_mouse" target="_new">here</A>!!!

This is how it's suppose to be done.

DVD and cd-rw on the same chain. cd-rw is slave and make the dvd master. This will keep the buffer full.

Never put a dvd or cd-rw on the hard drive chain as that reduces the hard drives available bandwidth on that chain.

IDE1
Hard drive - Master

IDE2
DVD - Master
CD-RW - Slave

you will notice that your buffer will remain full most of the time if you do it this way. This also alows maximum bandwidth for your hard drive with this setup. This is most optimal for burning cd's. If you plan on running both cd-rom drives at the same time (which is an unlikely scenario) then you may want to put them on sepperate chains. However who runs two cd-rom drives at the sametime excluding burning?

To copy, because it is on the same chain it is less distance and less latency and lag, that the copies are more direct if on the same chain. Therefore your buffer remains full.

A chain is the cable. Channel is where you plug the chain in. The controller is what controls the data and the hardware connected to the channel. A little terminology for you.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>

reptilej

Distinguished
May 3, 2001
xxsk8er101xx's post is correct. i've been running my system on that config for 6 months now with no problem, on-the-fly works fine. although i don't know if it matters if the burner is the slave or master, some cd burners don't work right unless they are the master. but none the less, my ata100 hd is on the primary, cd burner and dvd on the secondary and everything wokrs perfectly.

repeat after me, we are all individuals!

Dragonmike

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2001
okay, I finally got the problem. It wasn't the config's fault. Stupid me believing Windows error-messages...

The CD we tried to copy is protected. Anything else would work. Funny though that even the latest version of CloneCD wouldn't be able to copy it...

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
That may be because you live in GB Japan or the US if the protection is Safedisk 2.. to circumvent the restriction in clonecd for this and enable amplification of weak sectors go into control panel|regional settings and change system to another country ( I use Canada or Zimbabwe as they are English speaking... then do the read on the master at 4x only and do not correct read errors.. burn back-up with amplify weak sectors enabled

Lagger

<b><font color=blue>Computers run on smoke, I let the smoke out of mine and it quit working </b> </font color=blue>