What Laser Pressings Are Better Than The DVD's?

Last response: in Home Theatre Legacy
May 12, 2004 9:47:54 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.dvd,alt.video.laserdisc (More info?)

What are some laser disc titles that are better than their DVD counterparts?

Specifically, what are some lasers whose picture quality is much better than
the DVD version?

Thanks...Curtin/Dobbs

More about : laser pressings dvd

May 12, 2004 8:17:29 PM

Curtin/Dobbs wrote:
> What are some laser disc titles that are better than their DVD counterparts?
>
> Specifically, what are some lasers whose picture quality is much better than
> the DVD version?
>
> Thanks...Curtin/Dobbs

Titanic DTS laserdisc is far better then then dvd, especially the
soundtrack.

T.B.
Anonymous
May 13, 2004 12:08:46 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.dvd,alt.video.laserdisc (More info?)

unfortunately most people can't decode the dts soundtrack on laser. much
easier to decode the same dts on dvd
"TB" <partyslammer@socal.rr.com> wrote in message
> Curtin/Dobbs wrote:
> > What are some laser disc titles that are better than their DVD
counterparts?

> > Specifically, what are some lasers whose picture quality is much better
than
> > the DVD version?
> >
> > Thanks...Curtin/Dobbs
>
> Titanic DTS laserdisc is far better then then dvd, especially the
> soundtrack.
>
> T.B.

May 13, 2004 12:08:47 AM

On Wed, 12 May 2004 20:08:46 -0400, "ron felder"
<ronfelder@comcast.net> wrote:

>unfortunately most people can't decode the dts soundtrack on laser. much
>easier to decode the same dts on dvd
The same reciever or processor that will decode DTS on DVD will work
just fine on LD. You just need a LD player with an optical or coax
digital output.
John
Anonymous
May 13, 2004 8:35:07 AM

"ron felder" <ronfelder@comcast.net> wrote in message
> unfortunately most people can't decode the dts soundtrack on laser.
much
> easier to decode the same dts on dvd

You're thinking of Dolby Digital. DTS on laserdisc works exactly the
same as it works on DVD. All you need is a player with a Toslink or coax
digital output and a receiver that is compatible with DTS.

It's Dolby Digital that you need an RF-demodulator for, and is generally
a much bigger pain in the ass to decode from an LD.
May 13, 2004 10:08:02 AM

Joshua Zyber wrote:
> "ron felder" <ronfelder@comcast.net> wrote in message
>
>>unfortunately most people can't decode the dts soundtrack on laser.
>
> much easier to decode the same dts on dvd
>
> You're thinking of Dolby Digital. DTS on laserdisc works exactly the
> same as it works on DVD. All you need is a player with a Toslink or coax
> digital output and a receiver that is compatible with DTS.
>
> It's Dolby Digital that you need an RF-demodulator for, and is generally
> a much bigger pain in the ass to decode from an LD.

Not to mention the dvd of Titanic doesn't have a DTS soundtrack.

T.B.
May 13, 2004 10:55:48 AM

"Curtin/Dobbs" <bodi@comcast.net> wrote in message
> What are some laser disc titles that are better than their DVD
counterparts?

> Specifically, what are some lasers whose picture quality is much better
than
> the DVD version?
>
> Thanks...Curtin/Dobbs

Starstruck, the Australian musical is much better on LD than DVD. If there
were a DVD, perhaps my statement would bemore difficult to defend.

Dave
Anonymous
May 13, 2004 4:11:13 PM

The Japanese release of "The Last Emperor" on LD looks better than the DVD (in
my opinion).
-John
Please remove NOSPAM from my address to respond.
Anonymous
May 13, 2004 4:11:14 PM

JohnFBeas wrote:
> The Japanese release of "The Last Emperor" on LD looks better than the
> DVD (in my opinion).

Which DVD are you comparing it to? The US DVD of the "Director's Cut" is
garbage, but one disc of the Korean 2-disc DVD edition contains the
theatrical cut in a 16:9-enhanced transfer that, if not perfect, still
blows away my old US CAV LD. (I haven't seen the Japanese LD, so can't
compare it.)

And I don't believe the Korean DVD is censored, while it's my understanding
that the Japanese LD is:

"LDN reports that scenes of WW-II Japanese attrocities [sic] in China were
trimmed in the Japanese release of 'The Last Emperor'."

--Bob Niland, quoted at
<http://archive.cs.uu.nl/pub/MIDI/DOC/LaserDisc&gt;

I don't know whether the Japanese LD is the "Director's Cut" or the
theatrical release: if the former, it may still be the best way to see the
DC. (And while I thought I'd heard a rumour that a better DVD of the DC was
on its way, I can't find any evidence to support it.)

doug

--
"If we listen quietly, we can hear them shooting from grave to grave..."
--XTC

"John C." <john_c@amdmb.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 12 May 2004 20:08:46 -0400, "ron felder"
> <ronfelder@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> >unfortunately most people can't decode the dts soundtrack on laser. much
> >easier to decode the same dts on dvd
> The same reciever or processor that will decode DTS on DVD will work
> just fine on LD. You just need a LD player with an optical or coax
> digital output.
> John

My amp, a Harmon Kardon 330 specifically says not to use the digital input
with a laserdisk player.
Anonymous
May 13, 2004 10:53:14 PM

On Thu, 13 May 2004 12:19:46 -0500, "Mook23" <no_one@no_where.com>
wrote:

>"John C." <john_c@amdmb.com> wrote in message
>> On Wed, 12 May 2004 20:08:46 -0400, "ron felder"
>> <ronfelder@comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>> >unfortunately most people can't decode the dts soundtrack on laser. much
>> >easier to decode the same dts on dvd
>> The same reciever or processor that will decode DTS on DVD will work
>> just fine on LD. You just need a LD player with an optical or coax
>> digital output.
>> John
>
>My amp, a Harmon Kardon 330 specifically says not to use the digital input
>with a laserdisk player.

They must be referring to the AC3 RF output. That will not work with a
digital input. The optical or coax SPDIF output will work just fine,
same as a CD or DVD player output. (except will not pass the Dolby
Digital soundtrack).
Anonymous
May 14, 2004 2:55:29 AM

The standard edition or the Director's Cut?

Rgds,
Julien

JohnFBeas wrote:

> The Japanese release of "The Last Emperor" on LD looks better than the DVD (in
> my opinion).
> -John
> Please remove NOSPAM from my address to respond.
Anonymous
May 14, 2004 3:59:57 AM

>>Which DVD are you comparing it to? The US DVD of the "Director's Cut" is
garbage, but one disc of the Korean 2-disc DVD edition contains the
theatrical cut in a 16:9-enhanced transfer that, if not perfect, still
blows away my old US CAV LD. (I haven't seen the Japanese LD, so can't
compare it.)>>

I was comparing the American release DVD to the Japanese LD directors cut.
Thanks for the info about the Korean 2 disc transfer - I didn't know there was
a better version out there. And yes, the Japanese version was edited. Can I
ask you where you bought the Korean version from?
-John

Please remove NOSPAM from my address to respond.
Anonymous
May 14, 2004 7:51:51 AM

"Mook23" <no_one@no_where.com> wrote in message

> "John C." <john_c@amdmb.com> wrote in message
> > On Wed, 12 May 2004 20:08:46 -0400, "ron felder"
> > <ronfelder@comcast.net> wrote:
> >
> > >unfortunately most people can't decode the dts soundtrack on laser.
much
> > >easier to decode the same dts on dvd
> > The same reciever or processor that will decode DTS on DVD will work
> > just fine on LD. You just need a LD player with an optical or coax
> > digital output.
> > John
>
> My amp, a Harmon Kardon 330 specifically says not to use the digital input
> with a laserdisk player.

If your LD player has a digital output you can definitely use it for DTS
LDs. Unless you have had your player modified , you have to use an RF
modulator between the LD player and your HK's digital input to get DD from
your DD encoded LD's.
Anonymous
May 14, 2004 7:52:27 AM

"Douglas Bailey" <trystero@world.std.com> wrote in message
> Which DVD are you comparing it to? The US DVD of the "Director's Cut"
is
> garbage, but one disc of the Korean 2-disc DVD edition contains the
> theatrical cut in a 16:9-enhanced transfer that, if not perfect, still
> blows away my old US CAV LD.

KoreanDVDs.com and DVDHeaven.com both list the Korean release of The
Last Emperor as the Director's Cut:

http://www.koreandvds.com/dvddetail.html?id=14254
http://www.dvdheaven.com/list_detail.php?g_cat02=1&idx=...

Is the copy you have a different edition?
Anonymous
May 14, 2004 10:13:04 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.dvd,alt.video.laserdisc (More info?)

"Curtin/Dobbs" <bodi@comcast.net> wrote:

> What are some laser disc titles that are better than
> their DVD counterparts?

FEARLESS. The LD is widescreen, the DVD is fullscreen. Ditto
for ALPHAVILLE -- Criterion's LD was widescreen, but they
released their DVD fullscreen at Godard's request.

> Specifically, what are some lasers whose picture quality
> is much better than the DVD version?

The Hong Kong import DVD of RAISE THE RED LANTERN is widescreen
while the Columbia domestic LD is fullscreen. However, the
LD's image has a sharper picture, and richer color.

-- jayembee
Anonymous
May 14, 2004 11:25:26 PM

The LD releases of The Shadow with Alec Baldwin are better than the DVD. The
only DVD version is Pan&Scan with DD sound. Both LDs had widescreen and a newer
version had DTS sound.
Anonymous
May 15, 2004 5:22:10 PM

"Steve Grauman" <oneactor1@aol.com> wrote in message
> The LD releases of The Shadow with Alec Baldwin are better than the DVD.
The
> only DVD version is Pan&Scan with DD sound. Both LDs had widescreen

Same is true for the John Cleese WANDA follow-up FIERCE CREATURES.

And I'd add GODFATHER 3, presented with more detail and accurate colors than
the DVD.

Also, WAR OF THE WORLDS. And there are a lot more.
Anonymous
May 15, 2004 9:40:41 PM

Joshua Zyber wrote:
> Douglas Bailey wrote:
>> The two-disc edition I got (which I *believe* is a legitimate Korean
>> release).... [has] the theatrical cut (good, if not exactly
>> reference-quality, enhanced transfer) as Disc 2.
>
> Would you say that the theatrical cut is about comparable to the French
> disc reviewed here?
>
> http://207.136.67.23/film/dvdcompare/lastemperor.htm

Here are the first four images from that DVDBeaver page, but this time
comparing the French R2 PAL disc and my Korean R0 NTSC disc:

French: <http://207.136.67.23/film/dvdcompare/lastemperor/1r2.jp...;
Korean: <http://www.gweep.net/~trystero/images/TLE/TLE-1.jpg&gt;

French: <http://207.136.67.23/film/dvdcompare/lastemperor/2-r2.j...;
Korean: <http://www.gweep.net/~trystero/images/TLE/TLE-2.jpg&gt;

French: <http://207.136.67.23/film/dvdcompare/lastemperor/3r2.jp...;
Korean: <http://www.gweep.net/~trystero/images/TLE/TLE-3.jpg&gt;

French: <http://207.136.67.23/film/dvdcompare/lastemperor/4-r2.j...;
Korean: <http://www.gweep.net/~trystero/images/TLE/TLE-4.jpg&gt;

These aren't quite exact frame matches (I did them in a hurry), but they're
close enough to be a good basis for comparison.

The two discs are roughly comparable, but look to be different transfers:
the French R2 is much more red-hued (especially noticeable in the skin
tones), while the Korean disc seems more yellowish. I think the Korean
transfer is superior: the image is more detailed and has less colour
bleeding. Check out the third screen-cap: the white insignia on the
bearers' red robes is clearer, as is the pattern of the golden fabric on
the front facings of Pu Yi's litter. Similarly, in the fourth cap, the
pattern of the straw in Johnston's hat is more detailed in the Korean
transfer.

(As to whether the reddish or yellowish tinge is more accurate to the
filmmakers' intent, I can't say. Aesthetically, I think I prefer the yellow
hue, but I may be biased in favour of the disc I already own.)

Sadly, I'm not set up to take screen-caps from my LD player, so I can't
compare the US widescreen CAV LD edition to these two. But my recollection
from the A/B comparisons I did back in 2002 is that the LD, while
excellent, can't compare to the colour fidelity (especially the sharp,
non-bleeding reds) on the DVD.

HTH,

doug

--
"Show me the movie that doesn't deal in black and white..."
--James

Archived from groups: alt.video.dvd,alt.video.laserdisc (More info?)

I've read that the sound is much better on LD for "Journey to the
Centre of the Earth".
Anonymous
May 16, 2004 2:21:08 AM

> Here are the first four images from that DVDBeaver page, but this time
> comparing the French R2 PAL disc and my Korean R0 NTSC disc:

Thanks for going to all that trouble, Doug. Based on those screen caps,
the Korean disc definitely looks sharper and has less color bleed.

I'm intrigued. I wish there were more details about whether the "new"
Korean Director's Cut disc is really a new transfer or just a reissue.
Anonymous
May 16, 2004 9:27:05 PM

> (And I never did
> find a copy of the Japanese director's-cut LD: it was hard enough
tracking
> down a copy of the US CAV theatrical-cut set.)

Had a chance to buy the Japanese LD during Sight & Sound's closeout a
few years ago, but the jacket was in rough shape so I passed.
Anonymous
May 16, 2004 9:31:49 PM

"Larry Blumenfeld" <tumbleweed@wcox.com> wrote in message
> Josh, I respect your opinions and knowledge, but why do you - and
> probably others - think DD is such a pain? Both of my players have RF
> outputs for DD, both connect to my demodulator with ease, and bingo!
> I've got DD!

It's a pain in comparison to DVD, where you just connect the digital
output from the player to the digital input on the receiver and you're
set to go for basically all movie sound formats. On laserdisc you can
only get DD from players with an RF-output, which much be then connected
to an external RF-demodulator (usually sell in the range of $150-200),
and from there into a separate digital input on the receiver.

Considering that Dolby Digital was introduced late in the game for
laserdisc (1995), and that the PCM digital tracks often sound richer and
fuller than compressed Dolby Digital anyway even though you lose the
discrete rear surrounds, the hassle of Dolby Digital is usually not
worth the effort for casual LD owners with small disc collections.
Anonymous
May 18, 2004 1:07:09 AM

not true. not only do you need an ld player with ac-3 output. you then need
to buy a demodulator before it goes to your dts, Dolby digital decoder.
don't know what they cost but something tells me they are expensive. so it's
not as easy to listen to 5.1 on an ld as it is on a DVD

Ron
"John C." <john_c@amdmb.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 12 May 2004 20:08:46 -0400, "ron felder"
> <ronfelder@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> >unfortunately most people can't decode the dts soundtrack on laser. much
> >easier to decode the same dts on dvd
> The same reciever or processor that will decode DTS on DVD will work
> just fine on LD. You just need a LD player with an optical or coax
> digital output.
> John
Anonymous
May 18, 2004 1:07:10 AM

On Mon, 17 May 2004 21:07:09 -0400, ron felder <ronfelder@comcast.net> wrote:
>not true. not only do you need an ld player with ac-3 output. you then need
>to buy a demodulator before it goes to your dts, Dolby digital decoder.
>don't know what they cost but something tells me they are expensive. so it's
>not as easy to listen to 5.1 on an ld as it is on a DVD

DTS doesn't use ac-3 or a demodulator.

For DD, It doesn't take a genius to figure out the requirement for a LD player
with an AC3 output and a demodulator.
Anybody who can't handle that will probably not be able to handle connecting
5 speakers for a DVD and a DD receiver.
Anonymous
May 18, 2004 1:09:50 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.dvd,alt.video.laserdisc (More info?)

understand. so in closing it's easier all the way around audio wise on a DVD
than on ld
"Joshua Zyber" <jzyber@SPAMMERS-DROP-DEAD.mindspring.com> wrote in message
> "ron felder" <ronfelder@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > unfortunately most people can't decode the dts soundtrack on laser.
> much
> > easier to decode the same dts on dvd
>
> You're thinking of Dolby Digital. DTS on laserdisc works exactly the
> same as it works on DVD. All you need is a player with a Toslink or coax
> digital output and a receiver that is compatible with DTS.
>
> It's Dolby Digital that you need an RF-demodulator for, and is generally
> a much bigger pain in the ass to decode from an LD.

Anonymous
May 18, 2004 1:16:40 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.dvd,alt.video.laserdisc (More info?)

only newer players have the ac-3 output first off. secondly it's just plain
cheaper on a DVD, nothing extra to buy. if your player is like mine and no
ac-3 output then you have the added expense of putting one in. either by
yourself or more costly have someone do it for you. plus to be honest I
started with ld's when the first vp-1000 from pioneer came out. so my
collection is old .once DVD's came out I stopped buying ld's so most of my
collection is from the 80's where Dolby digital 5.1 and dts didn't even
exist. all around plain and simple DVD audio is simpler and cheaper to
decode.

Ron
"Larry Blumenfeld" <tumbleweed@wcox.com> wrote in message

> Joshua Zyber wrote:
>
> >"ron felder" <ronfelder@comcast.net> wrote in message
> >

> >>unfortunately most people can't decode the dts soundtrack on laser.
> >>

> >much
> >

> >>easier to decode the same dts on dvd
> >>

> >You're thinking of Dolby Digital. DTS on laserdisc works exactly the
> >same as it works on DVD. All you need is a player with a Toslink or coax
> >digital output and a receiver that is compatible with DTS.
> >
> >It's Dolby Digital that you need an RF-demodulator for, and is generally
> >a much bigger pain in the ass to decode from an LD.
> >

> Josh, I respect your opinions and knowledge, but why do you - and
> probably others - think DD is such a pain? Both of my players have RF
> outputs for DD, both connect to my demodulator with ease, and bingo!
> I've got DD!
>
> Granted, if you don't have an AC3RF output it's a pain, but one can be
> added to most players, and demodulators aren't _that_ hard to find
> (nobody seems to want the extra one I'm trying to sell), so if you're
> willing to undergo the "pain" of dealing with that big huge disc, and
> can stifle your impatience waiting for that ten-second side change (or,
> even worse, inserting that third side for the end of the movie), then
> getting DD from a laserdisc is a cinch! Primitive technology is FUN!
>
> Just my opinion, I could be wrong.
>
> Happy trails,
> Larry B.

Anonymous
May 18, 2004 1:19:02 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.dvd,alt.video.laserdisc (More info?)

that's my point,. though I find Dolby digital and dts sound better than the
pcm on the ld. dts is better than Dolby digital and both better than pcm. it
sounds more robust, louder plus the bass is better. let alone the two extra
rear channels

Ron
> "Larry Blumenfeld" <tumbleweed@wcox.com> wrote in message
> > Josh, I respect your opinions and knowledge, but why do you - and
> > probably others - think DD is such a pain? Both of my players have RF
> > outputs for DD, both connect to my demodulator with ease, and bingo!
> > I've got DD!
>
> It's a pain in comparison to DVD, where you just connect the digital
> output from the player to the digital input on the receiver and you're
> set to go for basically all movie sound formats. On laserdisc you can
> only get DD from players with an RF-output, which much be then connected
> to an external RF-demodulator (usually sell in the range of $150-200),
> and from there into a separate digital input on the receiver.
>
> Considering that Dolby Digital was introduced late in the game for
> laserdisc (1995), and that the PCM digital tracks often sound richer and
> fuller than compressed Dolby Digital anyway even though you lose the
> discrete rear surrounds, the hassle of Dolby Digital is usually not
> worth the effort for casual LD owners with small disc collections.

Anonymous
May 18, 2004 6:31:03 AM

>not only do you need an ld player with ac-3 output. you then need
>to buy a demodulator before it goes to your dts, Dolby digital decoder

DTS can be passed by any player with an optical (toslink) output, all you need
is a decoder. DD requires an RF-Demodulator which aren't "cheap" but aren;t
terriblly difficult to come by.
Anonymous
May 18, 2004 6:32:54 AM

>only newer players have the ac-3 output first off.

It can be added to nearly any player.

>secondly it's just plain
>cheaper on a DVD

LD is not a cheap medium, no one is claiming otherwise.
Anonymous
May 18, 2004 7:00:07 AM

news:D fCdnet9h8bI_zTdRVn-iQ@comcast.com...
> understand. so in closing it's easier all the way around audio wise on
a DVD
> than on ld

Easier yes. "Better" is subjective. At least when it comes to 2-channel
sources, laserdisc PCM sounds vastly better than Dolby Digital 2.0. The
5.1 sound options are more evenly matched.
Anonymous
May 18, 2004 7:04:54 AM

> not true. not only do you need an ld player with ac-3 output. you then
need
> to buy a demodulator before it goes to your dts, Dolby digital
decoder.
> don't know what they cost but something tells me they are expensive.
so it's
> not as easy to listen to 5.1 on an ld as it is on a DVD

He was talking specifically about DTS. Dolby Digital is the only format
that requires an RF-output or a demodulator. DTS on laserdisc works
exactly the same on LD as it does on DVD.

(Please don't top-post.)
Anonymous
May 18, 2004 7:40:22 AM

> "ron felder" <ronfelder@comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:D fCdnet9h8bI_zTdRVn-iQ@comcast.com...
> > understand. so in closing it's easier all the way around audio wise on
> a DVD
> > than on ld
>
> Easier yes. "Better" is subjective. At least when it comes to 2-channel
> sources, laserdisc PCM sounds vastly better than Dolby Digital 2.0. The
> 5.1 sound options are more evenly matched.

What about DVDs with PCM audio as well? It really isnt fair to compare a LD
with PCM audio to a DVD without the same PCM audio as well.
Anonymous
May 18, 2004 3:33:31 PM

"Biz" <biznospam@att.net> wrote in message
> > Easier yes. "Better" is subjective. At least when it comes to
2-channel
> > sources, laserdisc PCM sounds vastly better than Dolby Digital 2.0.
The
> > 5.1 sound options are more evenly matched.
>
> What about DVDs with PCM audio as well? It really isnt fair to
compare a LD
> with PCM audio to a DVD without the same PCM audio as well.

How many DVDs are there with PCM sound? I think I could count them on my
fingers. Meanwhile, almost every laserdisc has PCM as the default sound
option. PCM is the 2-channel standard on LD, and DD 2.0 is the 2-channel
standard on DVD, thus it is fair and proper to compare them.
Anonymous
May 18, 2004 6:32:14 PM

> "Biz" <biznospam@att.net> wrote in message
> > > Easier yes. "Better" is subjective. At least when it comes to
> 2-channel
> > > sources, laserdisc PCM sounds vastly better than Dolby Digital 2.0.
> The
> > > 5.1 sound options are more evenly matched.
> >
> > What about DVDs with PCM audio as well? It really isnt fair to
> compare a LD
> > with PCM audio to a DVD without the same PCM audio as well.
>
> How many DVDs are there with PCM sound? I think I could count them on my
> fingers. Meanwhile, almost every laserdisc has PCM as the default sound
> option. PCM is the 2-channel standard on LD, and DD 2.0 is the 2-channel
> standard on DVD, thus it is fair and proper to compare them.

Almost every music/concert dvd I have or have heard has PCM audio option.
Anonymous
May 18, 2004 9:21:49 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.dvd,alt.video.laserdisc (More info?)

"Joshua Zyber" <jzyber@SPAMMERS-DROP-DEAD.mindspring.com> wrote:

>How many DVDs are there with PCM sound? I think I could count them on my
>fingers.

Music/concert discs aside, and counting just movies, I know of 18. One
is Criterion's edition of DO THE RIGHT THING. The other 17 are various
titles licensed from Univeral that Image released back in 1998:

Abbott & Costello in the Foreign Legion
Amazon Women on the Moon
Belle of the Nineties
Buck Privates
Buck Privates Come Home [1]
Cocoanuts, The
Horse Feathers
In the Navy
Journey to the Far Side of the Sun [2]
Kiss of the Vampire
Klondike Annie
Monkey Business
Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie [2]
Road to Morocco
Road to Utopia
Serpent and the Rainbow, The [2]
This Island Earth [2]

[1] Package says that it's Dolby Digital, but it's actually PCM.

[2] I don't own these, so I'm not positive about them.

-- jayembee
Anonymous
May 18, 2004 11:31:24 PM

jayembee wrote:
> Joshua Zyber wrote:

>> How many DVDs are there with PCM sound?
>
> Music/concert discs aside, and counting just movies, I know of 18. One
> is Criterion's edition of DO THE RIGHT THING. The other 17 are various
> titles licensed from Univeral that Image released back in 1998:
>
> [list snipped]

I'll add one more: the original DVD of _City Lights_ (the Image disc),
which has a PCM stereo track for the newer recording of the score. All the
other Image Chaplin discs were DD-only: I'm not sure why this one was
treated differently.

doug

--
"Show me the movie that doesn't deal in black and white..."
--James
Anonymous
May 19, 2004 12:38:42 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.dvd,alt.video.laserdisc (More info?)

Japanese got lucky once more. Most video clips and live concerts are
released with LPCM sountrack (like the JPOP "Mr.Children Live Dec 21" I'm
listening to right now). No other option: LPCM 2.0 is the only soundtrack.

Re-release of Jazz/Classical classics on DVD are usually keeping the LPCM
soundtrack found on LD. Result: you can get the LD for really cheap :-)

Rgds,
Julien

Biz wrote:
> What about DVDs with PCM audio as well? It really isnt fair to compare a LD
> with PCM audio to a DVD without the same PCM audio as well.
Anonymous
May 19, 2004 2:58:33 AM

"jayembee" <jayembeenospam@snurcher.com> wrote in message
news:p 1hka0hove5rqi379dfkfpd151h961vk7o@4ax.com...
> >How many DVDs are there with PCM sound? I think I could count them on
my
> >fingers.
>
> Music/concert discs aside, and counting just movies, I know of 18.

I stand corrected. I had to bring some of my toes in on this one!
Anonymous
May 19, 2004 11:07:40 AM

>The LD releases of The Shadow with Alec Baldwin are better than the DVD. The
only DVD version is Pan&Scan with DD sound. Both LDs had widescreen>

I own the DTS WS LaserDisc of The Shadow and did not purchase the P&S
DTS DVD. If the DVD had offered OAR and anamorphic enhancement, but only had
Dolby Digital 5.1, I would have likely purchased it, but would probably keep
the DTS LD as well. If the choice is difficult, I usually choose both. In the
case of the P&S DTS DVD, the choice was easy. I rejected it.
Kraig
Anonymous
May 19, 2004 11:13:14 AM

>Also, WAR OF THE WORLDS.>

I own the LD because it offers stereo and the DVD does not. Both the
LD and DVD offer WAR OF THE WORLDS in its OAR of 4:3. Are you claiming that the
video presentation of the DVD is inferior to the LD, too?
Kraig
Anonymous
May 19, 2004 5:32:42 PM

Need to keep in mind, many dvd's that are released are "remastered" or
taken from better sources than the laserdisc releases. Now I said
many, not all. One laserdisc I can think of that blows away the dvd
release is the Knebworth 1990 concert. The DVD is full of
"macroblocks" and is overall poor video quality compared to the LD.
Even my VCD looks better than DVD release.

Steve
Anonymous
May 20, 2004 12:37:37 AM

>If the DVD had offered OAR and anamorphic enhancement, but only had
>Dolby Digital 5.1, I would have likely purchased it,

Agreed. I can live without the DTS sound but a widescreen DVD release would've
been nice. And I'm not sure why they havn't released one. I finally broke down
on Sunday and bought Batman and Batman Returns on DVD, I've grown sick of
waiting for better Special Editions.They're both bare bones, and could benefit
from better transfers but at least both discs have the option to view the films
in widescreen.
Anonymous
May 20, 2004 2:28:47 PM

message news:fwmqc.20037$KE6.4919@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net...
: "Biz" <biznospam@att.net> wrote in message
: news:GAfqc.79031$Ut1.1876337@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
: > > Easier yes. "Better" is subjective. At least when it comes to
: 2-channel
: > > sources, laserdisc PCM sounds vastly better than Dolby Digital
2.0.
: The
: > > 5.1 sound options are more evenly matched.
: >
: > What about DVDs with PCM audio as well? It really isnt fair to
: compare a LD
: > with PCM audio to a DVD without the same PCM audio as well.
:
: How many DVDs are there with PCM sound?

MANY opera DVDs have PCM.

!