Amd mobility radeon 4500/5100 series

Im hoping that someone can help me. All of the other threads on this subject have not revealed anything useful.
I am trying to setup dual monitors with a radeon 4500 card. The books etc. say that the card is a msi r4350 series but the comp detects it as a radeon 4500/5100. I have the newest drivers available from amd.

Both monitors are vga.

one monitor is plugged into vga port.

one monitor is plugged into a hdmi to vga adaptor (powered - not a straight cable) in the hdmi port.

Both monitors come on (mirrored )when comp is booted
when windows reaches the login screen the monitor plugged in to hdmi goes off and the computer cannot detect it.

I was able to detect both monitors and set them up as extended desktop only once. the computer was set to turn off displays after 10 minutes. after doing that i was never able to get the second monitor to detect.
This problem is driving me batty. hopefuly someone can help.
6 answers Last reply
More about mobility radeon 4500 5100 series
  1. You may have a bad HDMI to VGA adaptor, did you check it individually without the dual-monitor setup?

The problem you have tends to happen when you use adaptors, which the GPU cannot detect and does not allow you to run dual-monitor setups.

-Bloc97
  2. bloc97 said:
    You may have a bad HDMI to VGA adaptor, did you check it individually without the dual-monitor setup?

The problem you have tends to happen when you use adaptors, which the GPU cannot detect and does not allow you to run dual-monitor setups.

-Bloc97

The vga works fine with both monitors. The hdmi to vga adapter works when the comp
    is booting all the way up to the point where i can choose the user login. If the problem may be the adapter do you have a suggestion for one that is recognizable?
    Thanks for the response.
  3. I mean did you already try with ONLY the adapter plugged in and see if it works?

-Bloc97
  4. Sorry misunderstood. Just checked with only adapter plugged in. Identical symptoms as when both monitors plugged in. I did notice something though. When i have both monitors plugged in, during the "windows is starting" splash screen there is a point where the adapted monitor goes blank and comes back but the vga plugged monitor stays on the whole time. The same thing happens with just the adapted monitor plugged in. Once the screen changes from windows is starting to the sign in screen the adapted monitor gives me a "no signal" then goes black. I believe it is sleep mode? The led changes from blue to amber.
  5. If when you only use the adapter (one screen plugged in), and the screen stills go into idle mode, that means that your adapter isn't telling your graphic card that it is plugged in.
    I think you have to buy a other adapter. Or do you have a DVI-A connector on your graphic card? A DVI-A to VGA adapter can be found at around 2$, and doesn't need to be active, since DVI-A and VGA uses the same signal.
    Be sure it is DVI-A compatible though, if it is only DVI-D, it may not work.

-Bloc97
  6. bloc97 said:
    If when you only use the adapter (one screen plugged in), and the screen stills go into idle mode, that means that your adapter isn't telling your graphic card that it is plugged in.
    I think you have to buy a other adapter. Or do you have a DVI-A connector on your graphic card? A DVI-A to VGA adapter can be found at around 2$, and doesn't need to be active, since DVI-A and VGA uses the same signal.
    Be sure it is DVI-A compatible though, if it is only DVI-D, it may not work.

-Bloc97

I have dvi-d. I tried an adapter there but no go. In earlier versions of the graphics card it had a dvi-a. But the one I have is DVI-d only. Im going to try getting a new hdmi adapter and go from there. I will definitely post back if I have success. Thanks for the info.
Ask a new question

Read More

Radeon Monitors Mobility Radeon Graphics