What's the reccomended card for casual gaming

So Rather than have a budget and get the best I can afford, im wanting the best gpu for what I need.

What i will usually do:

High definition video viewing

light gaming (minecraft, team fortress ect maybe other things )

general usage (internet browsing, skying, photoshop work)

3d Rendering (not 247 but maybe once of twice a week)

monitor resolution: 1900x1080

Keep in mind that I would like to not be held back thinking i cant run that.

has anyone got anything right for me for a low price
11 answers Last reply
More about what reccomended card casual gaming
  1. low budget cards are 7750, 7770
    mid ends are 7850,7870
    high end 7950,7970,7990

what is your power supply? complete system specs?
  2. Main specs:

Power Supply Corsair 500W CX Series V2 PSU
    MotherBoard Asus m5a97 R2.0
    CPU AMD FX-4300

I would preffer for it to be an efficient card also if that changes anything
  3. As in, power-efficient? I'd suggest a 7850 or a GTX 660, in that case. They're both pretty power-efficient and do decently well at the resolution you're looking for. a 7850 1GB can be found for around... $180 on average, a 2GB for roughly $20 more, and a GTX 660 for maybe $220 or so. However, for about $210, you can also get an XFX Double D Radeon 7870 as well. Any of those cards, and especially the GTX 660 and the Radeon 7870, will work at the resolution you've got very well.
  4. 7850 would be a good choice
  5. My HTPC acts as my backup gaming rig so if I were to buy a new video card for it just to get by until my gaming rig is fully operational again, then I would get the Radeon HD 7750.

The Radeon HD 7750 is relatively inexpensive at $99 maybe less if you can find one with a rebate. It is a mainstream card so that means you should be able to play most graphically demanding games at 1920x1080 resolution using medium graphic settings to get good (not excellent) frame rates / performance. It also uses very little power for the performance you get; peak power usage is 42w. You don't even need a power connection to the PSU. It is really power efficient and overall I like my HTPC to be as power efficient as possible while still having enough CPU processing power to do some video encoding.

For a little more money ($130) you can get the Radeon HD 7770 which is about 30% more powerful than the Radeon HD 7750 and it also consumes more power; 73w peak. It will need a connection to the PSU.
  6. You guys are suggesting processors which are for hardcore gaming like battlefield ect. im never going to use that much or need it. I will have a look at the 7750 though, thanks.
  7. If you are looking at the 7750, take a closer look at the 7770 also, its a good bit better then the 7750 and you can usually find it for $10 more or even on par with the 7750 pricing wise.

I use the 7770 in my HTPC build that doubles as light gaming and it works great, although my tv is only 720p.
  8. im British so the difference is £20. that sounds good, thanks guys. How do i select best answer?
  9. Try it now.
  10. One last idea for you. If you have some time, why don't you look at a 1GB version of the HD 5670 DDR5? It's a great card and would fit nicely with your requirements, and I suspect you could find it very cheap. I have one, and it's perfect for my casual gaming requirements.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Gaming Graphics