• Graphics Cards
  • Boot
  • Windows 8
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics Cards
October 30, 2012 4:40:47 PM

HI
I have a problem with my 6770 all of a sudden reving up to 96% when i boot into windows 8 and i have to go to device manager and disable it then re'enable it to stop it. When i boot into windows 7 it doesn't do it. It never did it before in windows 8 either. Any clue how to stop this?
I have uninstalled the display drivers and tried other ones no go.
Only way i can stop it doing it is by disabling it like i said but this is a joke to have to do this after every boot of windows 8. Other than that the 6770 runs fine while gaming etc.
I'm at a loss with how to stop this annoying problem.
I did blow up a power supply a few weeks back but when i put a new one in the pc seems fine other than this problem that started after i put the new psu in. Any help will be appreciated or any ways i can find out which process or program is actually making the gpu go to 96% in windows 8 would be great thanks
UPDATE
btw thats a constant 96% like a game is running or something but there is no game running?

More about : gpu usage booting windows

a b U Graphics card
October 30, 2012 4:46:54 PM

Did you try the latest display drivers? You say you tried other ones, which ones were they?
What power supply do you have now?
October 30, 2012 4:52:16 PM

fil1p said:
Did you try the latest display drivers? You say you tried other ones, which ones were they?
What power supply do you have now?

I tried all the latest ones 12.10 & 12.11 beta plus the windows 7 ones but xbmc had display issues with the windows 7 ones
My PSU is a 750 watt cit with 22 amps on the 12 v rails my old PSU was evo labs 700 watt with 20 amps on the 12 volt rail but that blew after a few days at 4.1 ghz on my 1100t so now scared to overclock again but thats another issue entirely lol.
for now I want this GPU to stay at 0% usage *(or thereabouts) till i play a game like it should
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
October 30, 2012 5:19:23 PM

Ok lets start with the PSU,

The reason your old PSU blew was
20amps*12v=240watts. As it was not a good quality unit I wouldn't trust it to output its rated power. Not to mention 240 watts is not enough. I assume it had multiple rails.

If you pushed your cpu to 4.1ghz it means that it was going to use much more power. And if all of that is on one 20amp rail the psu will not be able to handle it.

Your new psu is not much better, you should get a good quality psu to start with. With that psu I would definitely NOT overclock your cpu.

You should consider getting a new psu. Even a 500watt good quality psu like a corsair would be more than enough.
October 30, 2012 5:19:29 PM

Maybe it's broke but why would it do it in windows 8 and not in wiindows 7? I'm not expecting anyone to know more than me on this co's it's a bit of a strange issue which i expect I'm on my own with. Will just have to keep disabling it every time to slow it down to 0% usage then re.enable it again pain in the arse tho and wish you could get a process?task manger for GPU's so i could find out what graphics or program is actually causing the gpu to be used
a b U Graphics card
October 30, 2012 5:22:50 PM

As for the GPU drivers it may be a problem with the early drivers for windows 8. Try using driver sweeper and then reinstalling the latest drivers.
October 30, 2012 5:23:19 PM

fil1p said:

20amps*12v=240watts. As it was not a good quality unit I wouldn't trust it to output its rated power. Not to mention 240 watts is not enough. I assume it had multiple rails.

If you pushed your cpu to 4.1ghz it means that it was going to use much more power. And if all of that is on one 20amp rail the psu will not be able to handle it.

Your new psu is not much better, you should get a good quality psu to start with. With that psu I would definitely NOT overclock your cpu.

You should consider getting a new psu. Even a 500watt good quality psu like a corsair would be more than enough.

Yes i know the other ones not much better butr bought it for £20 just to get my pc running again but know it is no better well hardly. why do they put 700 watt psu if it's only 240 and how could 240 run my pc anyway?
I'm gonna get an OCz one soon as i get some spare cash
October 30, 2012 5:25:23 PM

fil1p said:

it had dual rails as does this one i bought for £20 as a makeshift replacement. I also gotta upgrade my motherboard but stuck with what i have for now
I've seen a few 620 watt ones from ocz and another firm that are meant to be lots better for £57 so just gotta wait till i can spare that money
October 30, 2012 5:31:36 PM

fil1p said:
Here read this:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/low-cost-psu-pc-pow...

A cheap psu can damage your components.

got my eye on this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/OCZ-OCZ600MXSP-UK-ModXStream-Po...

What do you think? i just read the article you linked me F'ing robbing B's is all i gotta say lol Well i think this one would be ok and is about at the limit of my budget for a PSU at the moment

Oh btw i just checked specs on this and read reviews of people running two gtx 680's on this psu but still it only says 25 amps on the 12volt rails? my cit one says 22 amps on the 12 volt rails so how is this one much better than what i have although it clearly is.
What do i need to find to guarantee a 4.0+ ghz overclock not busting my psu? 30 amps on the 12 volt rails?
a b U Graphics card
October 30, 2012 5:50:15 PM

Thats pretty good, much, much better than what you have now.
a b U Graphics card
October 30, 2012 5:58:03 PM

Well the psu chose apparently has enough pcie connectors for one graphics card but it will be much more than enough for a single hd6770. Now if you want to overclock your cpu to 4ghz you should be fine with that ocz 600watt, however you would be cutting it rather close. It is better if you go with something like 700watts, especially if you plan on upgrading your gpu in the future.
Use this calculator to calculate your power consumption:

www.extreme.outervision.com

Hope this helps!
October 30, 2012 5:59:16 PM

fil1p said:
Thats pretty good, much, much better than what you have now.

even though it just says 25 amps on the 2 12 volt rails this one is 22 as i said but I guess it's just quality that counts. will that psu be good for 4.0 ghx + and maybe SLI if the need takes me (it says it is but as I learned from ur link they can be robbing B's who lie about their products capabilites)

I will buy that PSU in a few weeks then and stay at stock speeds till then.
Any ideas what could be causing my iniitial problem with the GPU? Can't be bad drivers surely as it never did it before. could it be hardware failiure ( doubt it when in W7 it's all good)
I may try install some older w8 display drivers if i can find them
October 30, 2012 6:04:22 PM

fil1p said:
Well the psu chose apparently has enough pcie connectors for one graphics card but it will be much more than enough for a single hd6770. Now if you want to overclock your cpu to 4ghz you should be fine with that ocz 600watt, however you would be cutting it rather close. It is better if you go with something like 700watts, especially if you plan on upgrading your gpu in the future.
Use this calculator to calculate your power consumption:

www.extreme.outervision.com

Hope this helps!

yeah good point one power connector yet it says sli ready? btw I'm not gonna stick with a 6770 forever lol. I need something thats gonna do the sli if i need it and better gpu and be able to overclock my CPU will i need to spend more than £55 on a psu to get that

Found this one same'ish price same specs but more wattage not sure about make tho http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Powercool-GT-800W-SLI-Gaming-...

this one says 58 amps on one rail for £63
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/XIGMATEK-700W-SLI-Gaming-PC-P...

is the one above, the powercool one ok? more in my budget as unemployed due to illness which sucks
a b U Graphics card
October 30, 2012 6:16:09 PM

Stay off ebay when buying power supplies. You should avoid that psu that you posted. Yes you will have to spend more money, but it will be worth it in the long run, as a good PSU will not explode, destroy your components, suck unnecessary power, or risk burning down something. I will also allow for future upgrades, as you mentioned that you might want to upgrade in the future. When buying a psu look at brands such as: corsair, seasonic, antec.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

That psu costs $89 after a rebate in the US, however you are in the UK right?

So this is the same PSU in the UK:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CMPSU-750TXV2UK-Enthusi...
It costs 83 pounds.
October 30, 2012 6:27:32 PM

fil1p said:
Stay off ebay when buying power supplies. You should avoid that psu that you posted. Yes you will have to spend more money, but it will be worth it in the long run, as a good PSU will not explode, destroy your components, suck unnecessary power, or risk burning down something. I will also allow for future upgrades, as you mentioned that you might want to upgrade in the future. When buying a psu look at brands such as: corsair, seasonic, antec.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

That psu costs $89 after a rebate in the US, however you are in the UK right?

So this is the same PSU in the UK:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CMPSU-750TXV2UK-Enthusi...
It costs 83 pounds.

Since when is $89 amount to £83 lol
yeah i will have to save up for a couple weeks just got so many parts i wanna get SSD new mobo with better chipset. Begrudge having to buy another PSU but I was scared when i blew that PSU co's built this rig myself. £83 isn't undoable for me but I will have to give my mate the money in 2 halves (he does all my online shopping for me. I just give him the cash)
But will that one be good for overclock and 6900's in sli (7900's use less power i heard) when & if needed? if yes than I guess it's worth the money

btw i just had a good read and that looks like an excellent psu for a little more money :)  it says 60 amps on one rail which i guess is good lol better than 22 amps on 2 rails? who knows but i guess it comes down to quality again.
Thanks for your help and if you get any ideas about my other issue let us know. thanks again you have been great and i will save for that PSU right away
a b U Graphics card
October 30, 2012 6:35:41 PM

Of course they don't cost the same, prices vary from region to region. For two 6970's and an overclock on your cpu you may need more power. However you should be fine. Use this calculator to calculate the power consumption of a system:
http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

What GPU's do you want to run in crossfire (SLI is the nvidia equivalent)?
October 30, 2012 6:35:43 PM

steelninja said:
got my eye on this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/OCZ-OCZ600MXSP-UK-ModXStream-Po...

What do you think? i just read the article you linked me F'ing robbing B's is all i gotta say lol Well i think this one would be ok and is about at the limit of my budget for a PSU at the moment

Oh btw i just checked specs on this and read reviews of people running two gtx 680's on this psu but still it only says 25 amps on the 12volt rails? my cit one says 22 amps on the 12 volt rails so how is this one much better than what i have although it clearly is.
What do i need to find to guarantee a 4.0+ ghz overclock not busting my psu? 30 amps on the 12 volt rails?

I have the same exact PSU, and up until a few months ago, I ran crossfire HD 6770s. Now I have an HD 7870, but I still keep those cards as backup.
October 30, 2012 6:39:52 PM

fil1p said:
Of course they don't cost the same, prices vary from region to region. For two 6970's and an overclock on your cpu you may need more power. However you should be fine. Use this calculator to calculate the power consumption of a system:
http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

What GPU's do you want to run in crossfire (SLI is the nvidia equivalent)?

yeah i knew that sli was invidia. but just said two 6900's as a guide i doubt i ever will do a crossfire setup anyway but would like to have the juice there if I needed or wanted it. Chances of me being able to afford 2 high end gpu's is pretty slim till i get well and back working at least. AS long as it will run one card now and in futre then i guess that would do. I can't see me going crossfired anyway tbh
a b U Graphics card
October 30, 2012 6:39:53 PM

In response to novolux:
For crossfire hd6770's it is much more than enough, but hd6970's in crossfire are a different story.

Although they should be able to run, as from what I read they will draw 600watts under load. But if you want to overclock them, and the cpu you may need more juice.
October 30, 2012 6:42:11 PM

Novulux said:
I have the same exact PSU, and up until a few months ago, I ran crossfire HD 6770s. Now I have an HD 7870, but I still keep those cards as backup.

ok thanks for that info mate. any idea why my 6770 is getting 96% usage when i boot windows 8?
October 30, 2012 6:47:11 PM

fil1p said:
In response to novolux:
For crossfire hd6770's it is much more than enough, but hd6970's in crossfire are a different story.

Although they should be able to run, as from what I read they will draw 600watts under load. But if you want to overclock them, and the cpu you may need more juice.

OK mate well I'll keep all this here for when i get some cash to order it so i know what to get. appreciate your time and as i said try figure out what's causing that strange issue with the 6770 reving up and getting stuck at 96%
btw is this gonna damage my gpu if i just leave it at 96% and just let it do it's thing? I usually disable it then it goes back to 0% but would prefer to just put up with fan noise and leave it as long as it won't break when i play a game or something. What would you do? unfortuanately buying a new or better gpu right now isn't possible
a b U Graphics card
October 30, 2012 6:49:02 PM

Well, I would try to remove the drivers with driver sweeper and reinstall them, it is likely a bug in the drivers or windows 8. You could also try flashing the BIOS of your graphic card for a newer one if it is available. Also what temperatures is your graphic card reaching?
October 30, 2012 11:23:35 PM

fil1p said:
Well, I would try to remove the drivers with driver sweeper and reinstall them, it is likely a bug in the drivers or windows 8. You could also try flashing the BIOS of your graphic card for a newer one if it is available. Also what temperatures is your graphic card reaching?

well when i first noticed it it was in msi afterburner and it reached 105 degrees but since then when it's done it it hasn't gone over 80. Wierd right? when it hit 105 i shut it straight down via device manager. Earlier i had my case open to reroute some cables and when i rebooted windows 8 it didn't do it. But sure it will do it again. But I will keep my fingers crossed
105 degrees is very high, pretty sure i read it right but i reach 80+ degrees gaming even with the awesome airflow i get with my Zalman z11 case (cpu never went over 40 degrees even @ 4.1 ghz while prime testing) max cpu temp i get is 36 degrees during gaming
a b U Graphics card
October 30, 2012 11:27:16 PM

105C is pretty hot. Not too great for a card, its best to keep it under 80, at least thats my preference. Set up a custom fan profile in afterburner to keep it cooler while you troubleshoot. Also did you try cleaning out the drivers and starting again?
October 30, 2012 11:35:11 PM

fil1p said:
105C is pretty hot. Not too great for a card, its best to keep it under 80, at least thats my preference. Set up a custom fan profile in afterburner to keep it cooler while you troubleshoot. Also did you try cleaning out the drivers and starting again?

not yet mate i been watching TV lol is driver sweeper a free program?

just found that program it says analyze and i checked the AMD box and it came up with all AMD stuff on my pc is it safe to delete all these? I don't wanna mess up my windows 8 co's heard that has display drivers pre installed

Update
i ran driver sweeper and told it to clean all AMD stuff and it just hangs with not responding error?
October 30, 2012 11:46:50 PM

found a newer app driver fusion it's deleting all AMD stuff off my pc including registrt entries. hope it doesn't mess my windows 8 up
a b U Graphics card
October 30, 2012 11:51:19 PM

Did you run driver sweeper directly from windows, if so it is better to first uninstall your drivers and then run driver sweeper to clear them out completely. However it seems its too late for that, so wait a while for it to respond. If it doesn't try rebooting and see what happens. Check that the drivers have been uninstalled

Here is a guide on the best way to use driver sweeper:
http://www.overclock.net/t/651378/how-to-install-driver...

a b U Graphics card
October 30, 2012 11:52:38 PM

steelninja said:
found a newer app driver fusion it's deleting all AMD stuff off my pc including registrt entries. hope it doesn't mess my windows 8 up

I am not sure if the fusion drivers apply to your gpu. Make sure you are installing the right driver from the AMD website.
October 30, 2012 11:56:49 PM

fil1p said:
Make sure you are installing the right driver :D 

deleted everything and now in a real low res tried checking with msi if it's doing it but it wont boot also speccy wont tell me the temp but seems like cool air coming out the gpu vent so fingers crossed. just gonna install the drivers now off amd site. latest windows 8 drivers
October 31, 2012 12:09:36 AM

well did all that and booted up and msi said it was 87% gpu usage 72 degrees which soon crept up past 90 degrees so i did my usual disable display in device manager and it went back to 0% wtf. driving me crazy now co's shouldn't have to do that ***. never had to do it before and in windows 7 it doesn't do it. but I like windows 8 probably the only person who does lol

At least it stays normal after disabling it then re'enabling it else i would be f'd. May have to just go back to windows 7 to avoid it but I did that before when I had compatibility issues with games but I missed all the new features so went back to windows 8
a b U Graphics card
October 31, 2012 12:09:46 AM

Wait so did it boot, or no? your post is a bit confusing. Also use GPU-Z in the future for gpu temperature.
If it boots up without problems, and it is not under load in windows 8 (and not overheating as you say) then its a good start.

Good luck!
October 31, 2012 12:16:28 AM

fil1p said:
Wait so did it boot, or no? your post is a bit confusing. Also use GPU-Z in the future for gpu temperature.
If it boots up without problems, and it is not under load in windows 8 (and not overheating as you say) then its a good start.

Good luck!

yeah when i re read it i can see you'd be confused. yes windows booted but i wanted to check with msi afterburner before i installed the drivers but msi wouldn't boot. I then installed the drivers and rebooted and same as before. I had to manually disable it then re'enable it to get it to settle at 0% usage
October 31, 2012 12:18:53 AM

basically it's the same still. :( 
It must be a screwed gpu or problem with windows 8 that has just appeared ( i been using W8 for months) it's not noticeable in W7 so can't be a screwed gpu
a b U Graphics card
October 31, 2012 12:27:51 AM

I would wait for the drivers to be improved, if your card was not at high usage without the drivers then it could be that. You could also try contacting AMD about the problem, see what they think.

Here are some other things you can try:
Try the card in a different machine (or a friends machine) to see if the card is working properly, however it might not change anything as you say that in Windows 7 it works fine.

Also try running windows update, and make sure the drivers for the rest of your system are up to date.
You could also try updating the BIOS but that is unlikely to change anything.

So best bet may be to contact customer support.

Hope I helped a bit!
October 31, 2012 2:12:48 AM

fil1p said:
I would wait for the drivers to be improved, if your card was not at high usage without the drivers then it could be that. You could also try contacting AMD about the problem, see what they think.

Here are some other things you can try:
Try the card in a different machine (or a friends machine) to see if the card is working properly, however it might not change anything as you say that in Windows 7 it works fine.

Also try running windows update, and make sure the drivers for the rest of your system are up to date.
You could also try updating the BIOS but that is unlikely to change anything.

So best bet may be to contact customer support.

Hope I helped a bit!

yeah it works fine in windows 8. I was just playing need for speed most wanted 2013 for a couple hours I just have to do that dumb *** in device manager after every boot. May just have to put up with it till I can afford a new card. But also need other stuff as you know. None of my mates game on PC's so thats not an option and anyone I know with a PC are old AGP slots. Thats if they even have GPU slots lol. WIll keep an eye out for new drivers.
Could my PSU blowing up have caused it?

Bit suspect it happened straight after. At least it does settle down once i restart the GPU in device manager co's else that would be bad.
I appreciate you trying to help and let me know if a power surge from my PSU blowing could have caused this.
October 31, 2012 7:43:25 AM

fil1p said:
I am not sure if the fusion drivers apply to your gpu. Make sure you are installing the right driver from the AMD website.

No lol driver fusion is the updated version of driver sweeper that it directed me to when i googled driver sweeper
a b U Graphics card
October 31, 2012 2:44:16 PM

Well your psu blowing up was not good, but if the GPU still works in Win7 then it should work in Win8. A power surge could damage components, but if they work in one OS, then they should work in the other.

Oh, ok I got a bit confused with "driver fusion", I haven't used driver sweeper in a long time.
November 1, 2012 7:42:12 PM

fil1p said:
Well your psu blowing up was not good, but if the GPU still works in Win7 then it should work in Win8. A power surge could damage components, but if they work in one OS, then they should work in the other.

Oh, ok I got a bit confused with "driver fusion", I haven't used driver sweeper in a long time.

well the motherboard has surge protection but I wouldn't want to bet my life on it's usefulness. Hope hurricane sandy didn't f ur town up btw lol

oh and my gpu didn't need restarting today so thats a good sign it's not damaged but just confused or something
November 1, 2012 7:53:16 PM

fil1p said:

so you just multiply the 12volt rails amps =22 (btw) * 12 v = 264 watts and thats your max output? so if it's dual rail it'll be 528 watts right? If I am correct let me know co's my maths is bad, but that'll make finding a decent psu so much easier although will also take into account quality of build ie buy a decent brand as well
a b U Graphics card
November 2, 2012 10:44:39 AM

Hey,

I think your components are fine, if the GPU works perfectly in windows7, then in windows 8 it should work too. As for the power supply yes, you multiply the voltage of the rail (12) by the amperage. So yes, 22A*12v=264watts. If you have two rails, and if both have 22A, then you have 528watts, so yes you are correct. Also if you are looking for a new psu here are some good brands: antec, seasonic, corsair, ocz, there are many more so take a look.