Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Advice for choosing CPU + GPU combo

Last response: in Systems
December 18, 2012 4:00:02 PM

High, everyone!In mid-January I'm building a new rig, and I would really appreciate some advice for a noob such as me.

I wonder if an AMD FX-6100 (without OC) + a ASUS Radeon HD7750 1GB GDDR5 128-bit will be enough to run modern games (Call of Duty MW3, Battlefield 3, Max Payne 3, Counter-Strike Global Offensive, and also GTA IV) at 1280 x 720 resolution on low settings. I know Bulldozer architecture can't be even compared with current Intel line, but a core-i5 costs a kidney and a liver in my country, almost twice the price of a FX-6100, which by itself is already overpriced here.For about the same budget, I can purchase Sandy Bridge core-i5 ,a 2400 for example (which I won't and can't OC), ,however the best VGA I can afford is a Zogis GeForce GT630 1024MB 1GB DDR3 128-bit in order to not bust my limited budget, because it's a completely new rig, and thus I'll need to spare $ for several other parts.

Playing modern games at maximum settings @ 1080p is not a priority for me.I just want play these games at 720p on low settings with a steady framerate (60 fps, as my LED display has 60 Hz of refresh rate).I'm not a hardcore gamer, as my budget doesn't allow me, though I wish this build lasted at least three or four years, so I don't want to cheapen everything and have a museum piece in a near future. So, I request an advice for choosing CPU and GPU for my rig:is it worth getting a more powerful GPU such as a HD7750 and getting a weaker CPU such as a FX-6100, or I'd better sticking with a more powerful CPU such as core-i5 and choosing a low-end GPU such as this GT630?Thanks in advance.Thanks in advance.
December 18, 2012 4:03:21 PM

See what prices are the i3 and pentium G850/860(i bet it's cheaper than the fx-6100), and get a better card like a 7770 or 7850 1GB.
If not get the fx-6100 +7750 for gaming.
m
l

Best solution

December 18, 2012 4:15:21 PM

I do agree with the user above. It really depends on your budget. I would recommend, if it matches the budget, to go with the latest Ivy Bridge CPU and purchasing a 7850 1GB graphics card. Yes, the G870 can play games very well but you do want to future proof your build to prevent you from having to update the system another year from now. He are the links for the hardware below:

CPU
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

GPU
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I would do some shopping around at Newegg and Tigerdirect for the best deals. Tigerdirect normally has similar prices but does not charge tax depending on where you live. I just purchased the i3-3240 from Tigerdirect as the same price as Newegg is offering the i3-3220 without tax and free shipping for my server.

Hope this helps,
Joel :bounce: 
Related resources
December 25, 2012 12:23:34 AM

Best answer selected by ksio89.
m
l
December 25, 2012 1:13:24 AM

Sorry for late reply and taking too long select the best to answer selection, I was a bit busy.I've decided what to purchase in mid-January.I'll get an Ivy Bridge core-i3 3350 and a B75 chipset Gigabyte motherboard.

About the GPU, rather than spending the cash in a budget card like the GT 630, I'll wait one or two months and save money from scholarship to buy at least a GDDR3 192 bit card.I can live with light games running on Intel HD graphics for a while, the most important thing right now is having a desktop PC with a good CPU such as this 3rd Generation i5.Thanks guys for the help.
m
l
!