Sign in with
Your question

Couple questions about Win7

Last response: in Windows 7
February 28, 2012 6:40:24 PM

So my first question, does the Ultimate version of Win7 include both installations x86 and x64?

Second question, I usually format my computer pretty often, and I want to save some dough and just get the Upgrade version of Win7 Ultimate. I can use the upgrade over and over again right? Like, if I format my hard drive a bunch of times, as long as that copy of Win7 isn't being used by another machine, I can continue to install it and activate it right?

Also, is there any difference between an actual retail copy, and the upgrade?

Thanks!

More about : couple questions win7

February 28, 2012 6:47:25 PM

Yes. Upgrade will not install unless it sees the old OS. Retail simply means you get support from Microsoft. Upgrade is just that, it only upgrades.
February 28, 2012 6:56:54 PM

Alright cool, but I can "upgrade" my previous OS as many times as I want right? And also, when I upgrade, it turns in to a real copy of Win7 right? I'm not missing out on anything essential just because it's an upgrade copy and not a retail copy?

Related resources
February 28, 2012 7:02:47 PM

price_th said:
Yes. Upgrade will not install unless it sees the old OS. Retail simply means you get support from Microsoft. Upgrade is just that, it only upgrades.

Thats not exactly true the only issue you would get is that it won't let you activate Windows unless it had seen a copy of windows on a drive connected to the PC during installation.

As for the issues in the OP. The Windows 7 Ultimate upgrade includes a Disk for 32bit and 64bit along with an Upgrade license key. The license upgrades ONE of your CURRENT licenses to a Win 7 license as to what that means is that Microsoft hopes that you will use this license as you would the license you are upgrading from. OEM -> License held to the motherboard, Retail -> License for ONE computer.

So if you are upgrading from a Retail license then yes it is fine as long as it is only on one computer. If you are upgrading from an OEM copy then no the license is technically only valid as long as the Harddrive it is installed on is connected to the Motherboard that the old license was licensed to.
February 29, 2012 2:26:51 AM

h2l said:
Alright cool, but I can "upgrade" my previous OS as many times as I want right? And also, when I upgrade, it turns in to a real copy of Win7 right? I'm not missing out on anything essential just because it's an upgrade copy and not a retail copy?

The disk that is used is exactly the same disk used for OEM or Retail installations of Windows 7 Ultimate. Windows 7 does not require you to enter your license key during installation so yeah it is exactly the same you will not miss out on any features of the OS the only difference is the terms of your license (basically your contract in a way). For the first question your license will remain the same and you will have the same limitations as I mentioned above an upgrade is considered an amending of your current license think of it as changing the words Windows (XP/Vista etc) to Windows 7.
!