Sapphire Radeon HD7750 1GB GDDR5

mickymouse

Honorable
Oct 30, 2012
Hi Experts,

I am new to this forum and I am hoping that you will be able to help me with this graphic card. First of all, I am a real noob with computers and please forgive me for asking noob questions. :D

I bought this card from Ebay dirt cheap as a parts/not working card. I installed it on my system and found out I can't use catalyst control center
(CCC) if I want to use this card. My computer will go frozen 2 mins after boot and monitor display goes nuts ( like when you overclock Gpus above and beyond limits ). I worried that it was clashes with old drivers and tried fresh install of everything and it was the same result.

But, finally, I seem to fix it by using amd driver version 8.961.0.0. The card is working fine and I was able to play games like civilization 5, tropico 4 and Dota smoothly for weeks. I still could't use CCC though.

I used CUPID to monitor it and I found that the voltage of my card keeps switching between 0.82 V and 1.13 V automatically all the time. I want to know if it's normal because it has been 2 days that I am experiencing sudden freezes. Strange thing is it's not when I am playing games or stressing GPUs. It freezes when I am at desktop display. And, sometimes my monitor go black and went into power saver mode but doesn't say no VGA output though. When it happens, my only option is to press the reset button.

I am not even sure if it's due to this graphic card. I swaped some PSUs to make sure it's not fault. My current PSU is seasonic 550W which is a reliable brand as far as I know.

My system is an ancient one and specs are as followings.

Gigabyte SKT -AM2+/AM3 GA- M68M-S2P
AMD Athlon II X2 250 3.0GHZ dual core black
Corsair 4GB 800MHZ C5 DDR2
seagate ST3500413AS 500gb 7200rpm 16MB buffer
Windows XP Pro x64 service pack 1 2003
Dell IN1920N 40cm Widescreen monitor

I am using stock cooler and though the cpu is voltaged at 1.41 V by factory default, it never goes beyond 45- 48 C.

I am planning to upgrade to phenom ii and new board but waiting for boxing day and new year sales. :D Meanwhile, I want to find out what's causing the trouble.

As I am writing now, I cleaned the dust and had plugged out and in the GPU, rams and HDD and switched ports and sockets to make sure it's properly fitted. So far, it's doing well but then I only used to get these nasty freezes about 2 or 3 times a day(24hours).

Any advice is welcomed and appreciated.

For CCC issue, I managed to had a look at GPU setting before it freeze. It seems the card is overclocked. Is it possible for a used card to stay overclocked even in the new system with new driver installed ? I know it's a very dumb question. But I just need to know. :D

fil1p

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
Well to answer your spoiler, yes it is possible for a card to stay overclocked if it has been flashed with a custom BIOS with those clock settings.

fil1p

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
Also why did you buy a non-functioning card for your system? You don't need to swap out PSU's, as it is a problem with your card. You could try flashing the card with the original BIOS off the manufactures website to see if that gets it stable.

Good luck!

mickymouse

Honorable
Oct 30, 2012
Hi fil1p,

Thank you very much for the help and I will try. I know it was a bad idea to buy a faulty card but I got it for almost nothing . I already have hd 4650 and several of other working cards. I just wanted to try this card to see if I can fix it. :D :D :D