Sign in with
Your question

GRAPHICS CARD DILLEMA

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 30, 2012 7:31:11 PM

In an attempt to build a pc gaming Rig, id like to know in a genereal opinion, what would be the most suitable great performance grapichs card without exceeding $800. This Card must be supported by the Intel Desktop Motherboard LGA1155 Motherboard. I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE A RESPONSE!!

More about : graphics card dillema

a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
October 30, 2012 7:34:02 PM

$800 for the graphics card alone? Two 7970s in Crossfire, but that's likely overkill.

In an $800 total system? Probably a GTX660 or Radeon 7870 @ about $225.
m
l
a c 92 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
October 30, 2012 7:37:16 PM

Any graphic card will work. Depending on what kind of performance you are expecting and what resolution you are going to be gaming on.

If you are going to be running games on a 1080p display, it doesn't make much sense to spend $800 on graphic card(s).
m
l
Related resources
October 30, 2012 7:43:13 PM

Hmmm, i was just looking at two cards, and well You decide.

[ ASUS 2GB GDDR5 DIGI ]or [ EVGA GeForce GTX560Ti ]
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
October 30, 2012 7:47:09 PM

Let's start over.

What is your budget for just the video card?

What do you want to be able play with this video card?

What is your monitor and monitor resolution?
m
l
October 30, 2012 7:55:44 PM

Wel atm i have no parts. Im trying to do research on everything before i buy anything. For the video card i have about $600. This PC would be for games such as Guild Wars 2, Star Craft, MMO's and Strategy. I want Complete HD crisp graphics, But nothing so high end that i dont need. Also, im planning on seting up triple monitors, all 23'', one samsug, LG, and Asus. Idk if that means ill need 2 GPU's or a stonger card.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
October 30, 2012 8:02:44 PM

For Three 23" monitors with good gaming performance and $600, you should probably do something like two 7950s in crossfire using eyefinity.

m
l
a c 92 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
October 30, 2012 8:04:26 PM

I think it will be best to get 2 7950s if you are doing 3 monitor gaming but if you are only gaming on 1 monitor the 7870/660 is probably the best cards for the money for the games you listed.
m
l
October 30, 2012 8:13:32 PM

Thankyou Thats just what i needed. I think ill go with the two 7950's. And Btw, would this graphics card work smoothly and to its potential with the Intel Desktop Motherboard LGA1155 ?
m
l
a c 92 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
October 30, 2012 8:15:41 PM

As long as your motherboard has 2 PCIe slots then the cards will run no problem. Make sure you get a good power supply from a good brand that is 650W or more for 2 7950s.
m
l
October 30, 2012 8:26:51 PM

The product feature on this board sais [ Support for Dual Graphics PCIe 3.0 x8 with certified SLI and CrossfireX configurations in addition to HDMI and DP with Lucid universal support ] so is that Yes?? And im planning on a [ Antec True Power Quattro 1200 ] Is that overkill?
m
l
a c 92 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
October 30, 2012 8:34:39 PM

The motherboard will work fine. The 1200 is a bit overkill but it will work great too.
m
l
October 30, 2012 8:39:08 PM

Thankss. And hey, regarding the tripple monitors. For gaming, what is this crossfire and eyefinity? a program? And with these dual GPU's, how would i setup triple monitors off game, like on web-browsing and desktop.?
m
l
a c 92 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
October 30, 2012 8:44:47 PM

You just plug in the monitors and if you use the right connections they will work in desktop. Durring gaming, eyefinity is a driver option that allows all 3 screens to be used to make a larger screen, should be easy to set up in the AMD driver software.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
October 30, 2012 8:56:01 PM

You will want a good gaming board with crossfire support and multiple PCIe x16 slots. Definitely a higher end Z77 board.

LGA1155 is just the cpu slot, it's on $50 and $250 motherboards. The rest of the specs are what make the difference.

m
l
October 30, 2012 9:22:57 PM

Are crossfire and eyefinity the same program? And eyefinity is for AMD. im going intel, so i would use crossfire? how would i get this?.

And because id be unsing this much power, how do i make it quad cabable? are u talking about the CPU? Regarding the PSIe, product features sais [ Support for Dual Graphics ___''-PCIe 3.0 x8'' ____with certified SLI and CrossfireX configurations in addition to HDMI and DP with Lucid universal support ]
m
l
a c 92 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
October 30, 2012 9:41:16 PM

crossfire and eyefinity are AMD graphics technologies. When you have 2 AMD gpus, they work together in crossfire to both render 1 game. eyefinity is used to render 1 game on multiple displays.
m
l
a c 133 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
October 30, 2012 9:47:27 PM

AMD does an amazing job with multi monitor support basically eyefinity is a tech by AMD that handles multiple monitors without dragging down performance. and the crossfire esrever presented quite well :) 
m
l
a c 85 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
October 30, 2012 9:57:10 PM

kevinwants2know said:
Are crossfire and eyefinity the same program?
Eyefinity is a _driver_, not a program. You won't have to run it.
Crossfire is what it's called when you're using two or more AMD graphics cards - it's neither a program nor a driver, just a name for a bit of technology.

2829281,18,1451111And eyefinity is for AMD. im going intel, so i would use crossfire? how would i get this?.[/quotemsg said:
Eyefinity IS for amd... and you're going amd, that's what the Radeon 7950s are. It has nothing to do with your (intel) CPU.

said:
You really don't need that much power, not even close. You could get away with an 850w PSU. And you're talking about your motherboard, NOT your power supply.

Here's what I HIGHLY recommend. Let one of us piece out parts for you. You don't seem to have knowledge yet of the terminology or what you need.
m
l
October 30, 2012 10:01:34 PM

Sorry, lol Like i said, your right, obviously im alittle confused but, sure "DarkSable", id appreciate it if you could help me out. Starting from the begginning
m
l
a c 85 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
October 30, 2012 10:10:07 PM

No worries - it's confusing without first doing a lot of research in the field. Fill this form out from the "how to ask for a new build" sticky. :) 

Approximate Purchase Date: e.g.: this week (the closer the better)

Budget Range: (e.g.: 300-400) Before / After Rebates; Before / After Shipping

System Usage from Most to Least Important: (e.g.: Folding@Home, gaming, surfing the internet, watching movies)

Are you buying a monitor: Yes / No

Parts to Upgrade: (e.g.: CPU, mobo, RAM) **Include Power Supply Make & Model If Re-using**

Do you need to buy OS: Yes / No
Please note that if you're using an OEM license of Windows, you will need a new one when buying a new motherboard.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: (e.g.: newegg.com, ncix.com -- to show us selection & pricing)

Location: City, State/Region, Country - we need to know where these parts are being assembled and whether there are good store-only deals available

Parts Preferences: by brand or type (e.g.: I would like to upgrade to Intel CPU)

Overclocking: Yes / No / Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Yes / No / Maybe

Your Monitor Resolution: (e.g.: 1024x768, 1280x1024, 1440x900, 1600x1200, 1680x1050, 1920x1080, 1920x1200 or if you're upgrading please state what you'd want to get)

Additional Comments: (e.g.: Need to have a window and lots of bling, I would like a quiet PC. Please also list specific software or games you're using)

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: (e.g. I'm having trouble running game X or my PSU broke)

Include a list of any parts you have already selected with descriptively labeled links for parts. Please do not post only links.
m
l
October 30, 2012 10:31:43 PM

Purchase Date- Couple Months

Budget- For all the components $2000-$3000

Preffered website- newegg.com

Location- West New York, New Jersey, USA

Parts Preference- By type, but i would prefer Intel

Overclocking- No

SLI or Crossfire- Yes, im planning on triple monitor, want to play games on three monitors, as well as basic use like web-surfing, desktop

Monitor- Want 3 monitors. All 23" One LG, Samsung, Asus

Additional Components- i would like a window yes, Games would be Guild of Wars 2, Star Craft 2, Many MMO's Strategy

CPU Cooler- http://www.amazon.com/Noctua-Cooler-NH-U12P-SE2-Corei7/...

Mother Board- http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Desktop-Motherboard-LGA1155...

CPU- http://www.amazon.com/Intel-i7-3930K-Hexa-Core-Processo...

RAM memory- http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Dominator-Desktop-Memory-...

Hard Drive- http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-ST2000DM001-Barracuda-3-5...

Optical Drive- http://www.amazon.com/LG-UH12LS28K-LightScribe-Blu-Ray-...

Power Supply- http://www.amazon.com/Antec-Current-HCG-900-BRONZE-Supp...

Sound Card- http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Blaster-Titanium-Interna...

Video Card- http://www.amazon.com/Diamond-Radeon-GDDR5-Graphics-797...

Computer Case- http://www.amazon.com/Antec-Fleet-DF-85-Gaming-Computer...

Fan Controller- http://www.amazon.com/Sentry-LX-Performance-Controller-...

Computer Peripherals- Already got it

1st Samsung 23" Monitor-http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-S23A550H-23-Inch-Class-Mo...

2nd LG 23" Monitor- http://www.amazon.com/LG-E2350V-23-LED-Monitor/dp/B003D...

3rd Asus 23" Monitor- http://www.amazon.com/Asus-VS238H-P-23-Inch-Full-HD-Mon...
m
l
a c 133 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
October 30, 2012 10:42:48 PM

where is the SSD love :p 
m
l
a c 92 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
October 30, 2012 10:48:49 PM

you can save $500 buy not buying that i7 and you would get exactly the same performance by buying an i5, you can then bump your gpu budget up to 7970 crossfire and an ssd.
m
l
a c 85 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
October 30, 2012 10:54:35 PM

Kevin, there are a lot of things going on there that you don't need - I imagine you went off of reviews and price?

Buying the most expensive part is not always the best way to go... actually it hardly ever is.

I'll knock up a build for you just fine... It'll perform better and be WAY cheaper. Unless you're watercooling, you only need to spend about $1500. to get the BEST.

Also, if you haven't bought the monitors yet, PLEASE don't buy them.
You're going to get HUGE issues if your monitors don't have the same resolution / refresh rate, ect... and they'll look bad together. It makes a million times more sense to buy three of the same monitor.
m
l
October 30, 2012 10:58:56 PM

Thankyou very much Sir, i really really appreciate it. I look forward to the Setup you come up with. Thankyou again. Thankyou all for your feedback! Really Helps alot :) 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 31, 2012 12:05:01 AM

Kevin i think you honestly overkilling it and a few corners could be cut with a i5 as esrever said and guild wars 2 wont as the best due to how the game is optimised so kinda be on the look for that
m
l
October 31, 2012 12:08:43 AM

Thankyouu for your feedback, and Optimised? How so
m
l
a c 85 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
October 31, 2012 12:09:12 AM

He means it's badly coded, and doesn't take advantage of power given to it very well. Basically it won't run well no matter what computer it's on.

EDIT: I'll put together a build for you in 2 hours, when I get off work.
m
l
October 31, 2012 12:15:33 AM

Oh i see. My gosh, this is certainly not my range of expetise -.- i apologize for my naive replies, im still new to this, trying to get into it. But i get it, it wont run at its potential no matter what, cause of the coding.

[ And alrightt, appreciate it ]
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 31, 2012 12:18:40 AM

kevinwants2know said:
Oh i see. My gosh, this is certainly not my range of expetise -.- i apologize for my naive replies, im still new to this, trying to get into it. But i get it, it wont run at its potential no matter what, cause of the coding.

[ And alrightt, appreciate it ]

Np man theres guys here that knows they stuff and they will give you a sick build that may save you a great deal of money..Thats what we all about is helping people man and when you get your new rig up and running its going to be such an amazing sight
m
l
October 31, 2012 12:25:04 AM

I agree. Thiss site has really really helped me. I mean, if it were up to me, i would haave gone out and made all these purchases without a hint on what i was planning on doing. I mean, id looked at a couple youtube vids on how to put a gaming pc together, but i mean, and the end of the day, i would be the one putting everything together not know 100% what i was doing. I was just gona wing it, until i just realized with feedback from my pal "DarkSable" that i was completly out of line with what i thought i needed, and i probably would have ended up with a huge mistake, and a bunch of expensive, i dont know what to do with all this crap components. Lol
m
l
a c 85 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
October 31, 2012 12:35:53 AM

^ Pretty much. Not as bad as the guy who wanted to buy two GTX690s and was gaming at 1080p. (A single 670 can max out games at 1080p.)

That's why I love this site - everyone has areas of expertise, and we chip in to help out with that. My first build was a MESS - it used DDR2 memory when DDR3 had been out for years.

Putting together a computer is easy. Figuring out what to put together is harder.
m
l
a c 85 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
October 31, 2012 2:12:26 AM

Alright. I blew the budget...
$2500. You could add an i7 to increase that, but it's not needed.
On the same note, you probably don't need a 256GB SSD AND 1TB of hard drive.
You could also easily get away with a single vapor X - it's an amazing card.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/lZek

If you want to save more, then no worries - I can make another build.
Just... watch Newegg TV's articles on building a computer, and follow their instructions. (And be sure to install windows to the SSD, not the hard drive.)
m
l
a c 133 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
October 31, 2012 3:09:09 AM

would 2x 7950's work? to help lower that budget that's what 100-150 dollars off each card.
m
l
a c 85 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
October 31, 2012 3:17:09 AM

Hmm... honestly, I'd go with a single vapor X.
You COULD get away with 2 7950s, but they need more than 2GB ram. A cheaper pair of 7970s would probably be better - the vapor X is the best, but the most expensive.

There are also a lot of other ways you could cut down - a 128GB SSD and 500GB HDD, a cheaper case, ect.
m
l
a c 133 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
October 31, 2012 3:21:52 AM

Here is a build I came up with its a bit cheaper larger hard drive smaller ssd and blu ray burner. There are 3 gigabyte models in each of the cards in this build.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/lZRS

$1900.00
m
l
a c 85 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
October 31, 2012 3:28:07 AM

^I gave him a terabyte of hard drive space. He probably doesn't need that.

Also, you told him to spend $75 on a blu-ray reader? Why...
m
l
a c 133 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
October 31, 2012 3:36:53 AM

Larger space for a backing up since its a blu ray burner and ability to watch blu ray's. I mean he doesn't necessarily need it but thought it would be a nice addition. And the hard drive was at a good price under 100 dollars which I thought was a good price point for a storage drive.
m
l
a c 85 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
October 31, 2012 3:46:17 AM

Meh. I've always considered blu-ray drives a waste of money.

As for the hard drive, you have a point. I still prefer the WD for the 5 year warranty, though.
m
l
a c 133 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
October 31, 2012 3:49:01 AM

Well I mean they can be a waste if you don't use them I just like having the ability to use every medium that's out there. I watch quite a few blu rays on my computer so its not necessarily a waste. Either way he could go on pcpartpicker and change things up to his liking I just put down what I thought would work best shrugs. And I changed from home premium to professional as well so he wouldn't have the ram ceiling of 16 gigabytes if he were to stick with windows 7 for a while he could go higher if he wanted to 192 gigs is professionals ceiling where as premium is 16 gigabytes.
m
l
a c 85 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
October 31, 2012 3:50:52 AM

Up to him.

Also... why in the world do you need more than 16 GBs? He's going to be gaming, and even 8 is pushing overkill.
m
l
a c 133 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
October 31, 2012 3:55:58 AM

I don't care for ram limitations. Say he never moves onto windows 8 and windows 8 is around for 3-4 years you never know what can happen in that time frame. Either way he could stick with home premium sure I just don't like having limitations I like having options. And you are right up to him.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 31, 2012 4:48:25 AM

bigshootr8 said:
I don't care for ram limitations. Say he never moves onto windows 8 and windows 8 is around for 3-4 years you never know what can happen in that time frame. Either way he could stick with home premium sure I just don't like having limitations I like having options. And you are right up to him.

16Gb is still overkill unless your running some crazy off the wall virtual machines or something.. 8GB is well more then enough and i cant half of the time reach over 6 even when gaming and muti tasking
m
l
a c 133 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
October 31, 2012 6:36:00 AM

I don't want to get to far off topic with what I'd do versus what he would do. Again I don't like ram limitations this isn't windows xp days where you could only get 3.5 gigs unless you had 64 bit. For me personally I just like to leave my future open and whether its overkill or not. But hey he saves 40 dollars or so by getting home premium so that may be a better option I don't know.

Giving him a place to look around and see what he would like is what we ought to be trying to help with.
m
l
a c 92 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
October 31, 2012 6:49:29 AM

I think 16 gb of ram is reasonable for a $2000 build. Ram is cheap and having lots is always nice to play around with.

I however don't see the need to pay the premium for 7970 GEs when the stock 7970 is very good and can be overclocked yourself.

Bluray drives aren't needed and it would be completely up to the OP if he wants to watch blurays or not, they aren't as expensive as they used to be but they are pretty much a waste of money for most people.
m
l
a c 133 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
October 31, 2012 7:04:31 AM

I have a question though do you really need 2 7970's for reliable Eyefinity?
m
l
October 31, 2012 1:31:02 PM

Well, i was just doing a side to side comparison on what you "DarkSable" and "bigshootr" picked out. To be honest, the only differences i aparently saw, [ Given im not really expirienced on the subject ] Is basicly the optical drive, the motherboard, the amount of memory. Given that a bluray drive is a nice touch, and a very acessible feature, i already have a bluray player. Regarding the motherboards, im not very familiar, maybe each of you could elaborate. And the memory, altough i will be gaming, i dont know if i will upgrade to windows 8. But i dont know how the operating system affects the memory. I will probably be using Windows 7 Premium. How much memory i would need, im not really sure. But i dont need a ridiculous amount, not lower or at the stadard amount, but not over and beyond the norm.
m
l
October 31, 2012 2:10:02 PM

7870 will play most games on max settings. 7970 ghz edition would be best.
m
l
a c 85 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
October 31, 2012 3:56:24 PM

The difference in the motherboards is how well they can overclock. This will affect how reliable the parts are - the Gigabyte also has better voltage control options for overclocking. Though honestly, if you're doing a mild overclock, both boards would perform fine.

If you already have a bluray player, then you probably don't need another one.

Okay. As for RAM... 16GB is overkill for anything but video editing and rendering.
8GB is still overkill for most things, but is preferred by those of us who like to game and have 30 different tabs open and play music all at once. If you don't do that, then you'll be fine with 4, and likely never notice hitting the cap. There is absolutely NO reason possible, unless you're building a workstation, to need more than 16GB.

Also, keep in mind, windows 8 performs better than windows 7. So you'd "need" even less RAM.
m
l
!