Sign in with
Your question

DYI PC's From NewEgg

Last response: in Systems
December 18, 2012 6:55:46 PM

Hi all.
I've been looking into NewEgg's DYI Pc Combos section and I have to ask: are these combos good?

I've looked up the combos and even put up the same builds on pcpartpicker. Most of the combos are about 20~30 less than buying the parts seperately.

Would anyone recommend me on getting one or should I just buy parts seperately?

Thanks in advance.

More about : dyi newegg

a b B Homebuilt system
December 18, 2012 7:34:51 PM

Most of the combos are alright, but make sure the combos come with decent power supplies. Generally Newegg uses the in-house Rosewill power supplies, but sometimes they go with the cheap Diablotek ones, which are not good.

Also, make sure the parts line up correctly and you are getting what you want. Sometimes they might offer a Z77 motherboard with an i3, making the Z77 pointless.

Any in particular you are looking at?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
December 18, 2012 7:43:15 PM

What Deemo said, if you can find one with a good combination of parts it is obviously going to save money, the problem is usually at least one of the parts is of a lower quality, but not necessarily, just depends.
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
December 18, 2012 8:28:04 PM

That i5 one looks the best, but they seem to be out of stock. Also remember you are going to need a GPU.
m
l
December 18, 2012 9:02:43 PM

The only issue I have with their DIY projects - they rarely have the exact components I am looking for in a package. If you are looking for a generic build, they may work, but if you have anything outside the box, like a faster GPU, the power supply may not be enough....

My suggestion would be to get the parts you want, unless there is a tremendous deal on almost what you want ($100+ off - which is very rare). They always have bundled items (like mobo + RAM or mobo + CPU) that aren't listed in the DIY build section.

Watch their "daily deals" and "shell shocker" deals....sometimes you find a gem there...
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
December 18, 2012 9:20:20 PM

If you're gaming, there's zero point in paying for an i7. Not only is it not better than an i5 (the only difference is hyperthreading, which games don't use), the i5 is more than enough to handle any graphics card setup out there.
m
l
December 19, 2012 12:47:43 AM

DarkSable said:
If you're gaming, there's zero point in paying for an i7. Not only is it not better than an i5 (the only difference is hyperthreading, which games don't use), the i5 is more than enough to handle any graphics card setup out there.

I'm looking into computers primarily for gaming purposes. However I do want to run applications like video editing software, photoshop, etc. I heard the i5 wasn't as good as the i7 for these kind of cpu-heavy software so I wanted to look into i7's
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
December 19, 2012 12:49:44 AM

Well, not to say that the i5 isnt suited for them, its just that the i7's features are more relevant to the software.

The i5 would handle it fine if you dont want to spring for the i7.
m
l
!