novice

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
i want to permanently wipe out all the data from my hard drive? does anybody know of any free-ware that does a good job on this? thanks!

I try to smile everyday but I can't... :smile:

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
It's hard to permanently remove any data. If you even run a Low Level Format even a GOOD data recovery company could tell you it's possible to still get data off the drive. That's why the government trashes their drives.

Anyways, try checking the manufacture for a Low Level Format utility.

<font color=red>1GHz AMD x MSI K7T-Turbo x 512MB PC133 x 2-Maxtor 30GB/RAID 0 = Stream Line Butterfly</font color=red>

One way would be to format it, and then fill it with any junk you can find tht isn't sensitive, and then format it again.

<b><font color=blue>~scribble~</font color=blue></b> :wink: <A HREF="http://www.ud.com/home.htm" target="_new">Help cure cancer.</A>

Spdy_Gonzales

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2001
I think the presumption is that you now have sensitive data on the HD that you want to make unrecoverable. So just copy any files that don't have anything you consider sensitive to overwrite the existing data on the HD.

I think if you just reformat and reinstalled windows you will pretty much destroy any existing data files.

"If it weren't for the last minute, alot of things wouldn't get done"

Correct. Usually a format will suffice. If you feel there's a chnce someone will try to undelete data etc, then just ensure every cluster which had data in it is written over. LoL.

<b><font color=blue>~scribble~</font color=blue></b> :wink: <A HREF="http://www.ud.com/home.htm" target="_new">Help cure cancer.</A>

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
"The FBI has their ways of getting whatever they want"

There are precautions that can be taken. Like psychos who cross shed documents 1/16", incenerate them, mix them in a large vat of water, then pump them into the ocean off the contenential shelf. And just think: somewhere, someone asked an engineer "what's the best way to get rid of top secret documents", and the guy came up with *THAT* idea.

Taking your friendly hard disk into the nearest MRI room (while it's not on, mind you), and encasing it inside 4 duffel bags then using cargo tie-down straps to secure it to the large wooden table then waiting for the next patient to mosey in, comes to mind.

Other than that, erasing, filling, erasing, filling, erasing, filling, erasing, filling, erasing, filling (is that 5 times yet?) would probably get 99%.

novice

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
well...i'm just wondering how those software crackers can hide their evidence at this time...if you've heard about all those operations that FBI uses to seize the warez communities...just curious...heheh

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
well, if you fill the hard drive completely, then all the data is overwritten, and there is no way to recover.
when you delete a file, it is just marked as deleted, and is still there, but can be overwritten by newer data.
there ARE some programs that they use to REALLY delete the file, which automatically overwrites the file.
i think that the government uses it when they trash a hard drive...or if they sell it.
i know that they cannot let files get out....
i dunno why you would want to REALLY delete a file anyways...
unless you were cracking programs, and the govt is after you...
heh...
if you were, have fun!
hehe

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
Sounds like you are nervous. Sounds like you have learned a valuable lesson. Hard drives don't do well in large bodies of water. CD's don't do well in fire.

<font color=blue>Remember.... You get what you pay for. :smile: All advice here is free.</font color=blue> :wink:

Just place the drive on the floor. Cover generously with lighter fluid. Light at arms length and retire immediately.

Problem solved!!!

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
Great idea. Maybe he could get a good night's sleep after.

<font color=blue>Remember.... You get what you pay for. :smile: All advice here is free.</font color=blue> :wink:

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
"just encrypt their files"

Encryption works; for awhile. If you can change the key or the algorithm quickly and consistantly, then it's not crackable. Buuuuuuuuuuuuuut, when it's sitting in a lab *somewhere*, usually the key is fixed to it's last value.....

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
in theory if the area of the drive containing the "sensitive" information, then it will be difficult, if no impossible to retrieve, but since data isnt written to consecutive sectors etc, unless the entire drive was filled, there would be parts of this information remaining, if the information is THAT sensitive, then physically destroy the drive.

Next time you wave - use all your fingers

Owl

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2001
I got a server one time from the feds
and thay would not ship it had to go pic it up and
run format 8 times before we could load it....

Intel inside
Moron outside

novice

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
hey...i'm still here...lol...i tried to use evidence eliminator...hope it works...that's all i can do for now...thanks for the suggestions! :smile: