Budget computer build (for mostly video editing)

raidv

Honorable
Dec 18, 2012
Hello,
I'm thinking of building my first computer. At the moment I have an old desktop with amd athlon 3500+. pretty old
I'm not looking for a high-end gaming rig.
Mostly I'm gonna be doing some basic video editing and also some basic websurfing and schoolwork. Little bit of gaming too.
From what I've learned from google so far (and some friends) - more cores are better for video editing and people reccomend Nvidia cards for video editing
At first I was thinking about amd 8350 with some kind of nvidia graphics card, but then my rig added up to about 750 euros (I live in europe).

first ideas were something like this:
AMD fx 8350
GIGA-BYTE MB AMD 990X/SB950 SAM3+ATX/GA-990XA-UD3
1 TB HDD 7200
8 GB RAM
Nvidia graphics gard (GTX 650 or 550)
about 600W PSU
Cooler Master K(night) 350, Midl tower

I'm on a budget - as low as possible (would be happy under 500€).
Although I could afford it, I was thinking about the fact that I'm not a professional and therefore I would not be using all of my computers resources and it would be a waste of money.
So, here I am asking from more experienced computer builders than me, what kind of rig should I get?
Again: I don't need (at least I think so) a high-end rig. I can always upgrade it in the future.

Thanks in advance

raidv

Honorable
Dec 18, 2012
Hello,
I'm thinking of building my first computer. At the moment I have an old desktop with amd athlon 3500+ with a pretty bad graphics card too (can't even run hd video not to talk about editing). pretty old
I'm not looking for a high-end gaming rig.
Mostly I'm gonna be doing some basic video editing and also some basic websurfing and schoolwork. Little bit of gaming too.
From what I've learned from google so far (and some friends) - more cores are better for video editing and people reccomend Nvidia cards for video editing
At first I was thinking about amd 8350 with some kind of nvidia graphics card, but then my rig added up to about 750 euros (I live in europe).

first ideas were something like this:
AMD fx 8350
GIGA-BYTE MB AMD 990X/SB950 SAM3+ATX/GA-990XA-UD3
1 TB HDD 7200
8 GB RAM
Nvidia graphics gard (GTX 650 or 550)
about 600W PSU
Cooler Master K(night) 350, Midl tower

I'm on a budget - as low as possible (would be happy under 500€).
Although I could afford it, I was thinking about the fact that I'm not a professional and therefore I would not be using all of my computers resources and it would be a waste of money.
So, here I am asking from more experienced computer builders than me, what kind of rig should I get?
Again: I don't need (at least I think so) a high-end rig. I can always upgrade it in the future.

Thanks in advance

right now using a cpu with 8 cores for a home pc is over kill. a lot of os and apps and games dont use more then two cores.
your better off buying a 4 core amd chip with built in 7000 gpu.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113281
yes that a us web page but the part number should be the same.
with that 4 core cpu your going to get a built in gpu that as fast as the nvidia cards you posted in your build.
the money you saved on the gpu put it for a name brand power supply. the three parts you dont want to go rock bottom on are the mb..cpu and power supply.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131885

pat

Expert
If it fills your bit, it will do pretty good vor video editing. The board is more for gaming, and, in your case, something with the 970 chipset would cost less. Check the asus m5a97 r2.0. almost 20$ less (may depend of where you buy it thou), better BIOS, and it is 20$ more left to get 16 gigs of RAM. You can create a RAM drive that will speed up video editing.

raidv

Honorable
Dec 18, 2012
Thanks for everything so far, but I really think I should go with nvidia card since they are more reccomended among vide editors. ?
Also could I step back to lower fx series instead of those APU's?
Would some lower class AMD x4 processors work as well too or not (athlon, phenom)?
How powerfull should the PSU be for the build?
Is there as much difference between 8gb and 16gb RAM (I tend to think I would be good with 8gb too)?

raid i would look at photoshop and adobe online forums and sony veges pages on cpu/gpu hardware that they tested there aps on. if i was building a bare bones video edit unit. i use an h61 mb and a 600/800 intel sandy bridge cpu. 60.00 for the mb and 50-100 for the cpu. the cpu will be a two core cpu. i would start with 8g of ram and nvidia 650 video card. if you need more ram then when you have the funds all you need do is buy the same ram kit. if you dont think you ever upgrade the gpu in this build the 600w should be fine. if you thinik you toss in a better gpu like the 660 or 760 when they come out then i would put in a 700/750w ps.

Benchmarking Sony Vegas

... GPU acceleration for video FX, transitions, compositing, pan/crop, track motion and encoding ... used an AMD FX 8150 8-core processor, 3.6 GHz, 8GB RAM, running Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit ... benchmarks evaluated preview and rendering with OpenCL GPU acceleration enabled on the AMD FirePro v4900 ... compared to the comparably priced NVIDIA Quadro ...

sony-vegas-render-times.png

The FX-8320 will simply slobberknock any dual-core CPU before the 2x-3x gain from GPU acceleration.