ryancsapp

Honorable
Dec 13, 2012
[SOLVED!!]

Computer type: HP Model Number H8-1234

I have recently decided to upgrade my computer with a new graphics card and therefore a new PSU as well. I received the PSU before the graphics card and decided to go ahead and put it in my system. Well it worked for a few days and then after moving some cords around it would not power back up. I was unable to resolve the issue and reinstalled the old PSU which worked just fine. Thus eliminating possible problems with other hardware. However now my graphics card has arrived and I purchased a different PSU but same manufacturer and it is doing the same thing regardless if I have the new graphics card installed or the old graphics card.

The PSU's in question are the ThermalTake Smart Series 750 W and 850 W. Both are doing the same thing. Power on for a split second, spin the fans and off.

Please help!!

SOLUTION: The problem was that the voltage coming from the different PSU's was 12.1 V when the computer actually requires 12.2. That small difference was the problem. All ThermalTake's tried would not work but a Corsair GS700 worked flawlessly. Thank you Best Buy Geek Squad for figuring this out free of charge.

Solution
google the service part number of the hp power supply. and or the name and model of the power supply and your hp pc. there going to be other people that have ask this on other forums. most times there going to be posting the part number and models of larger ps that will work with your hp mb.

check that you not pinched or cut a power supply wire. there acting like there a dead short in your system and are powering off so that they dont burn or melt a part in your rig. i would start with just having the mb with no video card installed and just the 24 and 4/8 pin atx plug connected and see if the new ps work. if they dont i see if a local shop can load test them see if there fine.

ryancsapp

Honorable
Dec 13, 2012
I think I have found the issue. I am new to this so after talking with ThermalTake they are saying that their PSU may not be compatible with a rig built by a brand such as HP. Newb mistake on my part. Now my question is what PSU will I need? My new graphics card requires at least 550 W.

The current stats on my PSU are:

Power Supply
Internal 300W (100V-240V)
Form factor: Internal ATX
Total wattage: 300W
Nominal input voltage range: 200-240V/3A (50-60Hz)
Dimensions: 150mm x 140mm x 86mm (5.9 x 5.5 x 3.4 inches)

ThermalTake says their PSU's are ATX Standard

google the service part number of the hp power supply. and or the name and model of the power supply and your hp pc. there going to be other people that have ask this on other forums. most times there going to be posting the part number and models of larger ps that will work with your hp mb.

Solution