Nvidia Cards

poloman

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2001
I'm going to ask something that has been bugging me for a about 3 years now.

For those of you that are using Nvidia based video cards, when your gaming, in paticulair 3D games, does the display seem way to dark for your tastes?

I have gone from TNT, TN2, Geforce, to currently Geforce 2 GTS. And I have been happy every step of the way with cards with Nvidia chips except for how dark the display is in 3D games.

I've also used each of these various cards with 4 different sizes and brands of monitors over the years, and each time its the same story.

Changing settings for the card and the monitor always leads to the same result...

If I crank up the gamma/brightness/color correction to the point where I can truely see the action in the game, then I can see the action, but the graphics become ugly due to being washed out. Or I leave it alone, and get clear graphics that I can hardly see due to how dim they are.

No, I am not blind =) I have tested the same games with other video card chipsets in paticulair 3dfx. With 3dfx based cards I don't seem to have the problem with the "dim" graphics, but the images themselves arent displayed at the same quality as I've come to expect from Nvidia products.

So what am I to do? Surely it can't just be me who has experinced these problems over the last few years.

Thanks in advance for any information on why this is.

Regards,
PoloMan

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Yeah, I know what you're talking about.

In Win2k, under OpenGL, the whole Nvidia is super dark. Like where you have to light a match/hold down the auto-fire just to see what's going on. You can turn up the gamma, and when you get back to the desktop, it's washed out.

That pretty much signed off OpenGL under win2k for me.