Solved

120hz monitor issue

hey guys I have 2x560tis in sli. I am about to have a 3 monitor setup coming up here shortly and right now i have 2. they are samsung s23A750D's, and i have them both running with hdmi.

(by the way, you CAN run 120hz monitors on hdmi)

I currently have one of the monitors running in 120hz, but when I set the other to 120hz, it stays on for maybe 10 sec, and then just goes black and comes back on every 5 seconds or so and will not stop until I set the refresh rate back to 60hz. While all of this is happening, the monitor that I have on the right remains perfectly fine in 120hz and remains ON.

any suggestions??

THANKS!!
25 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 120hz monitor issue
  1. UPDATE:

    The turning on and off of the monitors is now happening with both of the monitors now....HELP :fou:
  2. What kind of cables are you using?
  3. HDMI to HDMI mini
  4. HDMI's newest version just started supporting, so it's possible it is a little sketchy. Only HDMI 1.4b supports it atm. That also means you must have cables that support that has the bandwidth. Most HDMI cables will not work.

    Have you tried using a dual link DVI cable? You may have better luck.
  5. well the hdmi cable that i bought today has a bandwidth of 10.2gbs per second. and no, unfortunately my 560tis only have 2*DVI-I's, and all I have are DVI-D to DVI-D cables.
  6. plattman02 said:
    well the hdmi cable that i bought today has a bandwidth of 10.2gbs per second. and no, unfortunately my 560tis only have 2*DVI-I's, and all I have are DVI-D to DVI-D cables.


    DVI-I supports DVI-D. They support both DVI-D and DVI-A as well as dual link DVI-D (what you need for 120hz).
  7. This says you have to use the displayport on the monitor.

    http://www.anandtech.com/show/5231/samsung-s23a750d-3d-lcd-display
  8. ss202sl said:
    This says you have to use the displayport on the monitor.

    http://www.anandtech.com/show/5231/samsung-s23a750d-3d-lcd-display

    wow thats so stupid. itss weird that I was able to run 120hz for about 10 seconds though...

    so what about DVI-D to display port?
  9. plattman02 said:
    wow thats so stupid. itss weird that I was able to run 120hz for about 10 seconds though...

    so what about DVI-D to display port?


    The truth of the matter is that this monitor was designed for AMD cards, and supports their version of HD3D. I don't even think the HDMI is 1.4b, it is likely only 1.4a, same with your video cards. The reason I guess this is because both were sold before HDMI 1.4b was released. If the monitor has a DVI-I slot, it may still support 120hz through dual link DVI-D cables, but you won't get HD3D.
  10. Best answer
    Looking at this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001475

    The monitor only supports HDMI and Displayport, and given how long its been in production, I'd guess 120hz is only able to be done through displayport as the previous post said. The newer Nvidia cards support it, and AMD cards as well. Given that monitor supports HD3D and not 3D Vision, if you were to get a new video card for it, I'd suggest going AMD.
  11. oh wow. I was literally about to upgrade to 2xnvidia 670s. thats why I was asking about the DVI-D 120hz......hmmm
  12. how does this monitor not suppord 3d vision??
  13. plattman02 said:
    how does this monitor not suppord 3d vision??


    Because I have been keeping an eye on these things for a while and did a bit of research. For the most part, Samsung monitors have been supporting the open standard of HD3D, which AMD supports. ASUS, and BenQ support 3D Vision (2) on most their stuff, and Acer may as well (the monitor I have is 3D Vision Acer).

    If the monitor offers 3D and doesn't specifically mention 3D Vision or 3D Vision 2, it does not support it.
  14. so i should go for some 7970s?
  15. plattman02 said:
    so i should go for some 7970s?

    If you want to use 3D, that would not be a bad option. You definitely will be wanting AMD for that monitor, unless you return the monitor and get a 3D Vision monitor instead.
  16. bystander said:
    If you want to use 3D, that would not be a bad option. You definitely will be wanting AMD for that monitor, unless you return the monitor and get a 3D Vision monitor instead.

    I am going to have 3 of these monitors, and i am planning on having 2...eventually 3 cards. So which cards do you think would be the best without breaking the bank? (Im planning on getting some used cards from amazon)
  17. plattman02 said:
    I am going to have 3 of these monitors, and i am planning on having 2...eventually 3 cards. So which cards do you think would be the best without breaking the bank? (Im planning on getting some used cards from amazon)

    I don't even know if AMD supports 3D Eyefinity. If that is your plan, you may want to see if you could exchange that for a 3D Vision 2 monitor and stick with Nvidia, which definitely supports 3D Vision surround (3 monitors in 3D). Unless something has changed recently, AMD doesn't allow 3D across 3 monitors.
  18. Scratch what I said. It does appear AMD added support for HD3D eyefinity. I don't know if it works as well as 3D Vision surround or not, but it is supported.

    Be sure to get a card that has 3 DP connections, or you will have a problem making it work.
  19. bystander said:
    Scratch what I said. It does appear AMD added support for HD3D eyefinity. I don't know if it works as well as 3D Vision surround or not, but it is supported.

    Be sure to get a card that has 3 DP connections, or you will have a problem making it work.

    so stick with the amd cards for these monitors...??
  20. plattman02 said:
    so stick with the amd cards for these monitors...??


    Yah, if you are sold on those monitors, then AMD is your only option for HD3D. Also, make sure the primary card has 3 DP ports. Most won't, but there are some that do.
  21. bystander said:
    Yah, if you are sold on those monitors, then AMD is your only option for HD3D. Also, make sure the primary card has 3 DP ports. Most won't, but there are some that do.

    well I am getting 2 cards. and they each have 2 mini DP. do all 3 need to be on the primary card? and if i didnt, wouldnt i be able to convert DP to DVI-D? because there are also 2 of those.
  22. plattman02 said:
    well I am getting 2 cards. and they each have 2 mini DP. do all 3 need to be on the primary card? and if i didnt, wouldnt i be able to convert DP to DVI-D? because there are also 2 of those.


    I do not believe a DVI to DP conversion would work, and I'm not even sure they exist. HD3D in the past has used frame packing, which DP supports, and DVI does not. However, there is at least one exception made by Samsung that works from DVI, so it is possible but not likely.

    It does require all 3 to be on the primary card. AMD requires all monitors be connected to the primary card in a crossfire setup. Here is an example of one that works: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127670
  23. Is that just an amd thing? because I have my two monitors right now plugged into separate nvidia cards via hdmi
  24. plattman02 said:
    Is that just an amd thing? because I have my two monitors right now plugged into separate nvidia cards via hdmi

    Yes, it is just an AMD thing. Nvidia doesn't make you plug them all into the first card.
  25. Best answer selected by plattman02.
Ask a new question

Read More

Nvidia Monitors HDMI Graphics Product