Sign in with
Your question

New system about to order parts, need feedback

Last response: in Systems
December 18, 2012 9:41:23 PM

Here are the parts i am ordering:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/eGUp

All parts in cart ready to go through amazon. need the go ahead. concerned about board/ram combo. All reviews are good however i've never used gskill or asrock. Wanting to order today so i get it soon. HELP!

I am just replacing my board, chip and ram. I am currently running an i7 940.

I am keeping my corsair 1k watt power supply 2 x amd/ati 6970 in crossfire 125 gb ssd for boot/games 2 x 150 gb wd velociraptor in raid 0 for storage antec 1200 case.
December 18, 2012 9:59:00 PM

Is the i7 940 too slow? For most purposes, I would think that the i7 940 is quick enough.

What are you doing with the PC?
m
l
December 18, 2012 10:08:23 PM

its for games video editing etc... im giving my girlfriend my current pc and upgrading for myself. i'm simply interested in if the parts are good parts together. I am comfortable with the price of the parts. And i want to not have to upgrade for a few more years.
m
l
Related resources
December 18, 2012 10:18:46 PM

No... Go with Cheaper Mobo 1 or Better Mobo 2

Faster Ram Option

Much Better Heatsink

As far as being good for a few years this is throwing your money down the toilet. You would want a 2011 setup which means spending about another 50-100 bucks on a mobo, and swapping out the processor for a 3820 which is 300, same price. That would future proof you well for ivy-e, and give you better performance today, albeit slim. What about other parts? If you are giving up your old computer it would seem you need a monitor/keyboard/mouse/power supply etc etc. I suppose you already know what you want in those categories though. Anyway, gl!
m
l
December 18, 2012 11:04:44 PM

Contrary to what the above poster has said, I believe that the setup you chose is perfect. I am personally a Gigabyte fan, but ASRock works well as well.

Also, go with the heatsink listed above. The rest of your system looks fine!
m
l
December 18, 2012 11:08:44 PM

Praxeology said:
No... Go with Cheaper Mobo 1 or Better Mobo 2

Faster Ram Option

Much Better Heatsink

As far as being good for a few years this is throwing your money down the toilet. You would want a 2011 setup which means spending about another 50-100 bucks on a mobo, and swapping out the processor for a 3820 which is 300, same price. That would future proof you well for ivy-e, and give you better performance today, albeit slim. What about other parts? If you are giving up your old computer it would seem you need a monitor/keyboard/mouse/power supply etc etc. I suppose you already know what you want in those categories though. Anyway, gl!

thanks for the suggestions. The only reason i went with the 3770K is based on the charts (http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/cpu-charts-2012/-04-...) listed here. I don't even see the 3820 on there. Am i looking at the wrong chart for good info?
m
l
December 19, 2012 1:13:04 AM

Deemo13 said:
Contrary to what the above poster has said, I believe that the setup you chose is perfect. I am personally a Gigabyte fan, but ASRock works well as well.

Also, go with the heatsink listed above. The rest of your system looks fine!

As i stated that this is an upgrade for me and my old parts are going to my girlfriend. Am i going to see any type of performance increase with these parts?
m
l
December 19, 2012 1:22:01 AM

Probably yes, but marginal.
m
l
December 19, 2012 1:25:50 AM

if i went with a higher end 4c chip like the 3820 would that be better or would i need to bump into the 6c chips to see a decent performance increase?
m
l
December 19, 2012 2:00:48 AM

You honestly wouldn't see much of a performance increase anyway to be honest. I mean there definitely will be one with the 3770 or the 3820.
m
l
December 19, 2012 2:11:34 AM

Deemo13 said:
You honestly wouldn't see much of a performance increase anyway to be honest. I mean there definitely will be one with the 3770 or the 3820.

So a couple more clarifying questions, and by the way, thanks a lot for your help.

1.) it sounds like i'll see a small performance increase if i go with either of those chips but not much. if you were to get one (3770k or 3820, or even a different one) which would you get?

2.) would you wait to see what chips comes out in 2013 instead?

i don't do a ton of multi tasking so i think the 6c chips aren't really for me.
m
l
December 19, 2012 4:46:27 PM

I would go for the 3770K, just because for some reason I have more of a liking to it and less use for 6 cores.

The Haswell is supposed to come out if you want to wait for that, or at least information on it.
m
l
!