New system about to order parts, need feedback

Here are the parts i am ordering:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/eGUp

All parts in cart ready to go through amazon. need the go ahead. concerned about board/ram combo. All reviews are good however i've never used gskill or asrock. Wanting to order today so i get it soon. HELP!

I am just replacing my board, chip and ram. I am currently running an i7 940.

I am keeping my corsair 1k watt power supply 2 x amd/ati 6970 in crossfire 125 gb ssd for boot/games 2 x 150 gb wd velociraptor in raid 0 for storage antec 1200 case.
11 answers Last reply
More about system order parts feedback
  1. Is the i7 940 too slow? For most purposes, I would think that the i7 940 is quick enough.

    What are you doing with the PC?
  2. its for games video editing etc... im giving my girlfriend my current pc and upgrading for myself. i'm simply interested in if the parts are good parts together. I am comfortable with the price of the parts. And i want to not have to upgrade for a few more years.
  3. No... Go with Cheaper Mobo 1 or Better Mobo 2

    Faster Ram Option

    Much Better Heatsink

    As far as being good for a few years this is throwing your money down the toilet. You would want a 2011 setup which means spending about another 50-100 bucks on a mobo, and swapping out the processor for a 3820 which is 300, same price. That would future proof you well for ivy-e, and give you better performance today, albeit slim. What about other parts? If you are giving up your old computer it would seem you need a monitor/keyboard/mouse/power supply etc etc. I suppose you already know what you want in those categories though. Anyway, gl!
  4. Contrary to what the above poster has said, I believe that the setup you chose is perfect. I am personally a Gigabyte fan, but ASRock works well as well.

    Also, go with the heatsink listed above. The rest of your system looks fine!
  5. Praxeology said:
    No... Go with Cheaper Mobo 1 or Better Mobo 2

    Faster Ram Option

    Much Better Heatsink

    As far as being good for a few years this is throwing your money down the toilet. You would want a 2011 setup which means spending about another 50-100 bucks on a mobo, and swapping out the processor for a 3820 which is 300, same price. That would future proof you well for ivy-e, and give you better performance today, albeit slim. What about other parts? If you are giving up your old computer it would seem you need a monitor/keyboard/mouse/power supply etc etc. I suppose you already know what you want in those categories though. Anyway, gl!



    thanks for the suggestions. The only reason i went with the 3770K is based on the charts (http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/cpu-charts-2012/-04-3DMark11,Marque_fbrandx14,3157.html) listed here. I don't even see the 3820 on there. Am i looking at the wrong chart for good info?
  6. Deemo13 said:
    Contrary to what the above poster has said, I believe that the setup you chose is perfect. I am personally a Gigabyte fan, but ASRock works well as well.

    Also, go with the heatsink listed above. The rest of your system looks fine!



    As i stated that this is an upgrade for me and my old parts are going to my girlfriend. Am i going to see any type of performance increase with these parts?
  7. Probably yes, but marginal.
  8. if i went with a higher end 4c chip like the 3820 would that be better or would i need to bump into the 6c chips to see a decent performance increase?
  9. You honestly wouldn't see much of a performance increase anyway to be honest. I mean there definitely will be one with the 3770 or the 3820.
  10. Deemo13 said:
    You honestly wouldn't see much of a performance increase anyway to be honest. I mean there definitely will be one with the 3770 or the 3820.



    So a couple more clarifying questions, and by the way, thanks a lot for your help.


    1.) it sounds like i'll see a small performance increase if i go with either of those chips but not much. if you were to get one (3770k or 3820, or even a different one) which would you get?

    2.) would you wait to see what chips comes out in 2013 instead?

    i don't do a ton of multi tasking so i think the 6c chips aren't really for me.
  11. I would go for the 3770K, just because for some reason I have more of a liking to it and less use for 6 cores.

    The Haswell is supposed to come out if you want to wait for that, or at least information on it.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product