Closed Solved

[SOLVED]Buying new card- would my old rig be albe to handle this?

Hi.

I recently got some money, :), and since I had to have my old graphics card installed at another computer, I decided to get 6850.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102908

However, I want to know whether my computer can handle this without creating problems.

I am using
Heneb(Heka->Deneb), ta880gb hd, and G-skill Ripjaws ddr3 2gb X2 ram(this sounds really old :sarcastic: ).

Also I have
500W Power Supply from
RAIDMAX SMILODON ATX-612WBP Black 1.0mm SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Foldout MB Computer Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811156062

and I am planning to change it with other decent PSU at 550~600w range.
possibly OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W.

Thank you
10 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about solved buying card albe handle this
  1. It's hard to read the label but the 12V rail seems to clearly start with a 2 meaning is probably actually a 300W supply. Since raidmax makes horrible PSUs I wouldn't use it
  2. Besides the psu you are all set to go. However I would recomend a 7850 1 gb instead, it is way faster.
  3. What is ur current CPU ?? Just be mindful that it might bottleneck ur GPU so, even if u have the best graphic card, it won't be able to perform due to that.
  4. I would recommend get a different psu like unksol said. Raidmax makes really bad psu. And since I don't know what your cpu I can't tell you if it'll bottleneck your gpu.
  5. ttcboy said:
    What is ur current CPU ?? Just be mindful that it might bottleneck ur GPU so, even if u have the best graphic card, it won't be able to perform due to that.

My CPU is "Heka" AMD X3 740 BE. It's called Heneb - I successfully unlocked it so it will work like Deneb x4.

Now I'll work on finding a decent PSU XD.
  6. No problem. That's why we're here, to help. :)
  7. Limerick said:
    No problem. That's why we're here, to help. :)

As soon as i quick-edited "Thanks" outX :pt1cable: D.

I wanted to properly thank after I was done done with the topic, but I guess not XDD.

Im saying it now. Thank you very much all you!

Would going for higher card bottleneck?
  8. Best answer
    IMO HD 6850 card for ur system should be ok without any CPU bottle necking GPU.

On the PSU wise, make sure u calculate the required wattage here www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp and see what type of PSU that you required because bigger is not always better unless u plan to upgrade/expend ur rig in the future. Most of the modern PSU work most efficient between 50% to 80% of their rated wattage.
  9. Best answer selected by wjdbin123.
  10. Thank you again guys!
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Computer Graphics Product