High-End Home PC for Music/Photo/Video Editing and Gaming

extremister

Honorable
Dec 18, 2012
Hi all,

My intel and asus based pc broke down 'finally' after eight years of service and now during the last few weeks I've been going through forums and reviews to build an affordable but well-performing pc.

I am going to use the pc for music, photo and video editing, in this order. However, sometimes I also end up playing games.

The most important things for me are that there is no compatibility issues every now and then and that I can expect my computer to last for the next eight years with small memory and gpu updates.

This sort of system I've thought:

Case: Fractal design define R4
CPU: Intel i7 3770k
CPU cooler: Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 with additional NM-I3 mounting kit for LGA1155
Mobo: Asus P8Z77-v deluxe
Memory: Kingston HyperX 16GB 2133Mhz
SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB
GPU: Asus GTX650TI-DC2T-1GD5
PSU: Corsair AX750
Additional fan: Noctua NF-A15 PWM

I am very happy to hear your thoughts about this rig but please note that:
*For some reason I am pretty loyal to Intel and Asus
*I know that GPU is not perhaps in-line with the other components. However, I think it should work for my purposes. You think so?
*I will buy a new sound card/ audio interface as well but did not make up my mind yet and do not expect that to be covered over here
*Asus' mobo has wifi GO! feature which I suppose should make it easier to use e.g. Spotify through my iPad and Lumia. Any experiences on wifi GO?

While I would appreciate your ideas of the rig I also need some advices about building the pc by myself. As far as I know it is not rocket science. Do I need any additional screws, wires/cables etc. or should they all be included with the components above?

Thanks in advance!

Xlerator

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012
1. What is your budget?
2. You have to get the regular noctua because your cpu is 1155 socket not 2011 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608018
3. You don't need a sound card, you won't hear much difference from the onboard audio.
4. I suggest the HAF XM it has better airflow, lots of room for upgrades and excellent quality.
5. Also you won't need any extra stuff, it comes with case/power supply
If you have any question just ask!
Watch this, a video on how to build a pc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPIXAtNGGCw

extremister

Honorable
Dec 18, 2012
Xlerator, thanks for your reply! I think these newegg's videos will be valuable for me to go through. Thanks for the youtube link as well!

To your questions

1. I wouldn't say budget is irrelevant, I think we're pretty well in budget, but more important issue for me are guaranteed functionality and long-life quality of parts. I wouldn't like to enter the X79 world however as it totally changes the budget...

2. Tell me if I'm wrong but with Noctua's NM-I3 mounting kit NH-D14 SE2011 PWM should be 1155 compatible..? I am into low noise level as I am editing and recording music with this pc. Therefore I prefer SE2011 version of the cooler as it has PWM functionality.

3. I definitely need an audio interface. The difference between onboard audio and separate sound card is huge maybe not when you're listening spotify but editing is almost impossible using onboard audio. Recording is even harder. I'll possibly get one of RME's PCI-e cards. Also new thunderbolt cards are interesting but currently out of range. Will need a thunderbolt card for my mobo as well. However, let's not focus on audio interfaces on this thread.

4. Thanks for the suggestion. Have to check that out. I thought Cooler Master has no products of Fractal design and Corsair's quality.

5. Perfect, thanks!

A large HDD is missing of my rig. However, I think I will use my current ones for a while and possibly get a second larger SSD later when they're cheaper.