Sign in with
Your question

GTX 570 + GTX 550 Ti Dedicated PhysX?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 31, 2012 1:47:09 AM

I'm getting a GTX 570 soon and I have a GTX 550 Ti just lying around. I had a few questions I wanted to ask...

1) My motherboard is a MSI Z77A GD65
and I was wondering how I should space out the cards. The configuration I was thinking of was putting the GTX 570 in the first PCI-E slot and the GTX 550 Ti in the last PCI-E slot to keep them as far as apart as I can to keep the temps down.
The question I have is if either of these cards will be bandwidth constrained in this kind of scenario.

The configuration would look like this

2) The other question I have is which overclocking factors will help my GTX 550 Ti perform better as as PhysX card. Out of the 3 factors, core clock, shaders, and memory, I think I remember shader clocks being the one that affects PhysX performance. I just wanted to run that by you guys to make sure.

...and before I get bashed, yes, I will be playing games with PhysX integration.

Thanks for the help. :D 
a c 109 U Graphics card
October 31, 2012 1:48:52 AM

Sure, it won't really matter.

Just make sure your case can fit the 550ti there, if not you can put it in the second slot. The second slot won't really make a difference in temperatures.
m
l
a c 87 U Graphics card
October 31, 2012 1:56:49 AM

... why are you using a 550ti as a Physx card? You're going to get better performance out of using just the 570 - otherwise the two cards will have to wait on communications between each other.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
October 31, 2012 1:57:37 AM

Don't bother OCing the 550 Ti for PhysX. It's way overpowered for it. A GT 430 would be fine.
m
l
October 31, 2012 2:02:07 AM

Overclocking the 550ti isn't needed it's already overqualified for it. But other than that I don't think there would be any problem.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 31, 2012 2:02:45 AM

Cool chart to take a peek at regarding a dedicated physx card. You see there's not a huge boost from one card to the next so the difference between stock clocks and overclocks might be unnoticeable.

m
l
October 31, 2012 2:06:09 AM

@DarkSable Really? ...because this video (skip to 2:05 if you want to look at the numbers) shows that even a GTX 580 benefits from having a GTX 550 Ti for PhysX.

If the GTX 550 Ti is overqualified for PhysX, would I be better off if I underclocked the card to the absolute minimum in MSI Afterburner?
m
l
a c 109 U Graphics card
October 31, 2012 2:09:08 AM

I'd lower your voltage...
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 31, 2012 2:10:18 AM

It's overqualified today, but its already in your hands, available, and known to be working. The simplest answer is just use it with stock clocks. Check your power draw. If you don't like that number, sell it, and downgrade further to something more green that will still give you a 10+ fps boost.
m
l
October 31, 2012 2:11:05 AM

@amuffin So lower my GPU voltage along with the card's clocks? Lowering the voltage while keeping the same clocks would lead to instability I'd assume.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 31, 2012 2:28:12 AM

DarkSable said:
... why are you using a 550ti as a Physx card? You're going to get better performance out of using just the 570 - otherwise the two cards will have to wait on communications between each other.

i suggest you research the difference between physx and sli.... till then it is inadvisable to reply on something you have incorrect knowledge about.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 31, 2012 2:31:58 AM

cbrunnem said:
i suggest you research the difference between physx and sli.... till then it is inadvisable to reply on something you have incorrect knowledge about.

I think his situation is such that he's already locked into the scenario of having a new 570 otw, and having a 550ti leftover. I was waiting for one more post before saying "just wait til you plug it all in and see how she floats!" :D 
m
l
!