Graphics card overheating or what?

Hello, I think I might have a problem with my brand new system/graphics card. As of tonight, I can only play Diablo 3 for 3-10 minutes before the whole system goes idle, with the screen going black (twice it showed vertical lines instead). There is nothing that can be done short of rebooting the computer.

What's strange is that Speedfan gave a 47C read on the card 15 seconds before it crashed.

Following an advice on these boards, I went and took a look at the Event log and sure enough, there seems to be logs of the crashes, but I can't discern any usable info from it. Here's one such logs:
[0000000005: 2012-10-30 23:04:01:001 FAILED:ADL_Display_SLSGrid_Caps and return value is: -1 Error Called by: ATI.ACE.CLI.Caste.Graphics.Runtime.RT_GraphicsCaste_N::RefreshSLSInfo processID:03664 threadID:(CCCThreadNew:Runtime) domainName:(CCC.exe ) assemblyName:(CLI.Caste.Graphics.Runtime, Version=4.0.4654.26060, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=90ba9c70f846762e)]

This is what I am running:
Windows 7 64-bit
Intel 17 3770 unlocked processor with Noctua NH-D14 cooler
Gigabyte Radeon 7970 OC 1000mhz
4X 4Gb DDR2 RAM
850W OCZ PSU
Asus P8 Z77-V PRO LGA1155 motherboard
Corsair 650D case with lots of fans
3 answers Last reply
More about graphics card overheating what
  1. can you double check your temps using gpu z? if you were using software like msi after burner you can check your temp in game by enabling on screen display option. other than that is your card manually overclocked or is it clocked at factory setting?
  2. From the fact that you're using an i7 and a good cooler, I'm going to say you know what you're doing with overclocking.

That being said... Have you CHECKED to see if it's an unstable overclock?

The other option are drivers. My VIA audio drivers are BSOD-ing my computer randomly in a few games, and I can't get around it without completely disabling my sound card.
  3. I have not overclocked my system. I merely bought the components that would allow me to do so in the future, should my needs warrant it. The card was overclocked at the factory.

Tech service told me to remove the graphics card and try the game with the onboard GPU, which solved the issue. I don't know if the fact that the lower resolution and level of in-game details could somehow affect the diagnosis, however.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics