Sign in with
Your question
Closed

MSI GTX 660 Twin Frozr III OC, cooling enough? and 400W pwr spply?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 31, 2012 3:55:15 AM

Well, does this version have good cooling enough for gaming much?

And can I run this card on a 400W for one month until I have enough money to buy a new PSU?

specs:

AMD Phenom II x4 965 BE
2x4 GB 1600 mhz Corsair RAM
1 HDD, kinda old, shouldn't use that much power.
1 CD/Rom/Dvd reader or whatever you call it xD

And the version of GTX 660 listed above?

Am I good to go with this? :) 
I dont know if its a good quality pwr spply but its just for one month, will it work? :) 
a b U Graphics card
October 31, 2012 5:08:10 AM

Hello Hasteone,

The MSI GPU has enough fan power for cooling. However, what is your average room temperature? If it's usually under 30 degrees at peak, I would highly suggest the EVGA 660 instead.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

While this card only has 1 cooling fan vs the two that the MSI has, the design should be taken into consideration. The card sucks in air in the front and exhausts the hot air out the back While the MSI has just two fans that blows air everywhere - horrible for smooth air flow. I can vouch for the EVGA version because I have recently upgraded from a 6850 1GB to the EVGA 660 2GB and noticed a significant FPS improvement while maintaining similar temperatures with significantly reduced fan noise.

As for your PSU, unfortunately.... I would have to say it's not realistic to run a 660 and a Phenom II 965 in the same system:

Phenom II x4 965SE = 125Watts [TDP]
GTX 660 = 140Watts [Max Power Draw]

Your at 265 watts already for just the PSU and CPU, leaving just 135 watts for the Motherboard, fans, ram, HDD and optical drive. While it may be doable on a quality 400watt PSU, but generally speaking that's too risky.

I would recommend you to get at least a 550W Corsair Enthusiast Series Power Supply. While a 650watt version is recommended.

Corsair 650watt [$89.99 before $25 mail-in rebate]
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The Corsair Enthusiast series power supplies has excellent build quality with a legendary track record to top it off. It maybe a bit pricey, but is something that will be used for a solid 5+ years.

Coffee~

PS: It seems Corsair has... stopped producing their 550Watt Enthusiasts.... Idk why...
Related resources
April 25, 2013 12:54:08 AM

hasteone said:
Well, does this version have good cooling enough for gaming much?

And can I run this card on a 400W for one month until I have enough money to buy a new PSU?

specs:

AMD Phenom II x4 965 BE
2x4 GB 1600 mhz Corsair RAM
1 HDD, kinda old, shouldn't use that much power.
1 CD/Rom/Dvd reader or whatever you call it xD

And the version of GTX 660 listed above?

Am I good to go with this? :) 
I dont know if its a good quality pwr spply but its just for one month, will it work? :) 

I now its too late but thought to answer If your PSU have 24 A and a 6pin power connector you can run. If you miss one of it don't risk.

April 25, 2013 2:35:32 AM

I just want to know what I am doing.
a b U Graphics card
April 30, 2013 6:05:40 AM

juliagezm1 said:
I just want to know what I am doing.

Technically, you are spamming. An irrelevant response in a thread that's been abandoned for months. Does that help?
!