Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Looking at new 'old' AGP card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 31, 2012 4:23:45 AM

Hey guys,
I have and old desktop system that I no longer use for gaming and I'm trying to decide between two cards. It's basically for web surfing, streaming video and watching movies in another room. I have a 23" monitor for it but want to also run an HDMI cable to the TV. My current card, a GeForce 6600 AGP, doesn't have HDMI out, and the tv is nothing special, just a cheap 40" flat screen.

I've read through a few posts and its come down to two cards (that I can find): The Radeon HD4670 is $115 and the Radeon HD4350 is $75 (both at NewEgg). I've looked for the Radeon HD 3850 & Nvidia 9500 but it seems supplies have finally been depleted.

Basically, is the HD4670 more than my system needs or is the extra $40 bucks justified.
The 3 basic differences appear to be:
Core Clock: 750 vs 600 / Memory: 1GB vs 512MB / Interface: 128-bit vs 64-bit

Here's the system:
Pent 4 / 2.6 GHz / 120GB HD / 4GB Ram / FSB 800 MHz
Board: Dell Computer Corp: 0G0728 (i think this is the right info)
Current Card: Asus GeForce 6600 (256 ram / 128 bit)
430 watt PSU

The desktop works fine, I just reformatted the HD so everything is smooth except for the video and if I have a number of windows open you start to see things start to drag across the screen...

Thanks for your time!

More about : agp card

a b U Graphics card
October 31, 2012 5:32:05 AM

Hello BSC249,

Unfortunately, if your PC has a pentium 4 CPU inside. It means your motherboard will have AGP support at best; or in worst case scenario a PCI slot for graphics support. That really limits your options. This really limits your options; best case scenario: You have a AGP slot. But you will need to hunt down a AGP AMD 4670 graphics card which may be tough and risky. You may want to consider building a new budget oriented work/HTPC.

Coffee~
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
October 31, 2012 6:30:24 AM

get the cheapest and treat it as HTPC
m
l
October 31, 2012 1:24:15 PM

Thx guys - Yup, 1 AGP slot, 4 PCI and as I briefly got into I'd rather just do a final upgrade on a vid card as this system still works fine and is only a secondary machine anyway. I already have two better laptops but its easier for my wife to just surf and watch with this since its already in the room - and she likes it, 'nuff said :) 

Thx swifty_morgan, those were the only two I found also - and I looked for several... Just wanted to know if anyone knew of any others but obviously AGP is almost dead.
m
l
October 31, 2012 1:40:26 PM

Dude. get the 4670 and it will be a beast gaming rig. I think it should be able to run bf3 but at lowest settings. But that graphic card would be fine for directX9 gaming like gta 3
m
l

Best solution

October 31, 2012 1:46:53 PM

ThatsMyNameDude said:
Dude. get the 4670 and it will be a beast gaming rig. I think it should be able to run bf3 but at lowest settings. But that graphic card would be fine for directX9 gaming like gta 3

I don't think he would have a beast gaming rig. This still has a single core processor that is going to struggle in newer games.

I would get the HIS card linked below though.

Would be 1 final push to extend the life of this computer

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
October 31, 2012 2:26:20 PM

spot on inerax, gaming is done on that thing - it can actually be painful to play :)  Basically need the new card to help with streaming video, watching movies online to - most importantly - Keep the Wife Happy! Tell her the card cost $60 ;)  and she's Happy!!!

Thx everyone!
m
l
October 31, 2012 2:37:24 PM

bsc249 said:
spot on inerax, gaming is done on that thing - it can actually be painful to play :)  Basically need the new card to help with streaming video, watching movies online to - most importantly - Keep the Wife Happy! Tell her the card cost $60 ;)  and she's Happy!!!

Thx everyone!

GL to you! the $60 card should hold you over until this computer is dead.

Have a good one!
m
l
November 13, 2012 9:06:41 PM

Best answer selected by bsc249.
m
l
!