2 nVidia cards, 3 monitor question

amaghazi

Honorable
Oct 31, 2012
Hey guys,
I am running a 2nVidia 7950GX2 cards with a 3 monitor system on a DELL XPS 720 desktop on Windows 7.
latest nVidia driver is installed (10/10/2012)

Each card has 2 DVIs (4 DVIs total). Both cards are on SLI bridge. SLI is disabled on the software.
I would like to run one main monitor on one card, and 2 side monitors on the other card. Desktop will be extended on all 3.
However, PC only recognizes monitor or 2 monitors attached to the main card only.
Both cards work fine.
However, for some reason only the one or two monitors attached to the main card (i do not know how the computer determines the main card) are detected and recognized.
When I interchange the cards, same thing happens: the card on that specific slot is considered main and monitors attached to it are detected. Monitors attached to the other card are not detected.

I tried removing the SLI bridge, nothing happens. I tried both through windows and nVidia control panel, but same result. Only monitors attached to one card are recognized.

Could someone please help me find a solution for this problem?

more info: I used to run this configuration on Windows XP with no problem. But for some reason I cannot do it on Windows 7

amaghazi

Honorable
Oct 31, 2012
I tried it both ways.
It is weird.
Windows 7 can sense that there is a monitor but does not display anything on it.
It is a software problem but i dont know what to do about it

amaghazi

Honorable
Oct 31, 2012
Yes I have 2 cards. each has 2 DVIs
When I run SLI or not SLI it does not make a difference for me.
So when I connect 2 monitors to the main card they work fine either way.
My issue is that I want to run a 3rd monitor on the other card but i cant.
I used to be able to do it with no SLI in windows XP. now i cant.

Swolern

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011

Are all 3 monitors the same?
Can you get 2 monitors working with 1 monitor on each card with SLI enabled?