New CPU cooler?

Zed_Spooge

Honorable
Nov 11, 2012
I need a new CPU cooler. I'm finishing off a build (Will list specs at bottom, still need a couple things, need advice on that too, but mainly the cpu cooler.) And I need a good cpu cooler for 70 bucks, MAX. My case Is the NZXT Lexa s. ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146060&Tpk=NZXT%20LEXA%20S ) So it needs to fit in there. I want the Havik 140 but Idk if it'll fit, as it barely fits in the NZXT Tempest 410 elite crafted case, which is about a full inch deeper. I kinda want like the H60 but I've heard closed loop water coolers only last like 2 years, and I need this to last a little longer than that, so Preferably and air cooler. It'd be nice if it looks nice too, but that just depends xD thanks a mil, below is more info on the build]

So far I've bought: ASRock Z77 Extreme4, a 500GB HDD, My ram (16 gigs of something, i can't remember, but it was on sale for like 56 bucks and its nice ram, cas 10, 1600Mhz, DDR3, pretty general) and My case. I need a CPU, GPU, and A CPU cooler. For the CPU I already know I'm gonna get the i5 3570k, which I'd LIKE to be able to OC to 4.2 ghz. more if possible, but I doubt it. I kinda need to know what GPU to get. Either a 7870 or a 7950. I don't wanna spend the extra cash, but I wanna be able to play BF3 at ultra, no AA (AA if possible? idk) with a minimum of 40 fps, if that's even possible. I'm not indifferent to nVidia cards, but I know for a fact The radeon ones perform better for the money. (BF3 is not the only game I'll be playing, just mostly, as I can SMELL the argument that BF3 favors nVidia coming on) so Yeah. Any suggestions for a 200-300? lower the better. thanks.

djosbun

Honorable
Dec 18, 2012
Tom's Hardware (this website) did a really good cpu cooler review not that long ago. Tested many coolers, and the Noctua NH-D14 came out on top, and will fit in your price range I believe. I personally (as do many others) have the Cooler Master 212 Evo, which is an excellent cooler and priced under $30.

Best bang-for-your-buck, if you ask me.

Zed_Spooge

Honorable
Nov 11, 2012
I need somethin' a little better than that. I don't want a closed loopwater oller and budget is now 50. Kinda eyin' the Dark Night II by that brand I can't spell. I'll followup with links if you want. Lol'd at the (this website)

because I can't read.

k

thanks for the advice though. also a black painted heatsync would be great, kinda goin for appearance here as well

Also sorry for spelling etors and stuff, typing on a 6$ keyboard i despise. Can only get out like 30 wpm on here when avg normally is like 65 ;-;

Zed_Spooge

Honorable
Nov 11, 2012
My price is inbetween. I want something better than the evo that doesn't have to be as good as the noctua.
Looks are important to me, so a black heatsync is nice, since my build is black&blue themed (not opposed to some red)

Something that can hold a 3570k at 4.2-4.5 without going over like 80C after playing BF3 for hours. /if that's possible if not I'd be happy with 3.8-4.0

Zed_Spooge

Honorable
Nov 11, 2012
I really want that cooler^ If you read my original post, I mentioned that the Havik doesn't fit in my case of choice. (NZXT Lexa S) which I already own. Idk why NZXT Would sell A cooler that doesn't fit in a case of theirs, but it's whatever.

Zed_Spooge

Honorable
Nov 11, 2012
Also which should I buy to go with it; another fan for push pull, or better thermal paste. If push pull I won't buy till later as that can be added on without a huge fuss, but thermal paste cannot, and I'll buy that with the rest of my remaining parts

EDIT: I think that cooler comes with extra thermal paste... would that be good enough or should I get that arctic stuff? Also I think it's kind of funny that "Arctic" thermal paste is gonna be squished against a 200 degree processor.

EDIT2: Also If you do suggest thermal paste, what stuff should I get, with a 15$ budget unless that's just crazy