Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Gtx 280

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
October 31, 2012 11:55:58 AM

Hi guys..need help...getting gtx 280 at a vry cheap price..is it worth it..??? or should i go for HD7770...performance wise..hows 280..will it be better than HD7770

More about : gtx 280

a c 144 U Graphics card
October 31, 2012 12:00:16 PM

how much that 280 going to cost you? performance wise maybe 7770 is a bit faster. personally i opt for you to go for 7770
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
October 31, 2012 12:28:49 PM

Just get the 7770. Will have newer drivers and everything to be optimized for newer games. Also less power consumption. Cards back then were hungry.
m
0
l
Related resources
October 31, 2012 12:55:36 PM

Get the 7770. It'll be better. As Ichrisk said they were power hungry back then.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
October 31, 2012 3:58:27 PM

Derza10 said:
That chart has nothing to do with actual performance... all it does is compare specs...

Maybe this thread will help you pick one.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/350971-33-7770-6850-5...



The cheapest 280s on eBay are about $50 + shipping. And those are mostly used and out of warranty.

A 7770 can be had for around $110 after rebate. Comes with warranty and is brand new.

The 280 is still a decent card, but it sucks power and gets hot.

I would go with a current gen card. Unless you can get one for around $40-$50. At that points its not a bad deal and you could always sell it off later for about the same.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
October 31, 2012 4:00:44 PM

What are your system specs? can your PSU support a 280?

For a system using a single GeForce GTX 280 graphics card NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 550 Watt or greater power supply that has a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 40 Amps or greater and that has at least one 6-pin and one 8-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.
m
0
l
Anonymous
a c 117 U Graphics card
October 31, 2012 4:15:50 PM

i don't know about the logic of buying a card with DDR3 unless you need it for a HTPC.
m
0
l
a c 147 U Graphics card
October 31, 2012 4:39:33 PM

Limerick said:
Charts only compare the specs of the cards, it has nothing to do without they acually perform in real life.


That site is annoying. The educated laugh at it and it only serves to confuse the ignorant. It seems like they just auto-generate these lists with minimal effort possibly in an effort to make money from advertising.

As you say, real world benchmarks are what counts.

Without knowing more about his specs or budget I also agree with an HD7770 1GB.

This card is $100 (after MIR) with FREE SHIPPING:
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=68528&vpn=FX777AZNF4&m...
m
0
l
October 31, 2012 4:42:21 PM

the 280 is faster but, outdated and a power hungry one
m
0
l
a c 147 U Graphics card
October 31, 2012 4:48:25 PM

GTX280 vs HD7770

That HARDWARE COMPARE implies that the GTX280 is theoretically "far superior" ;while I can't find a benchmark with BOTH of them in it, I did find THIS data:

Passmark Scores:
GTX280-> 1356

HD7770-> 2170

I'm pretty sure we'd find that the HD7770 beats the GTX280 in raw performance, and blows it away for power consumption, noise and simply being far NEWER.

**According to TOMSHARDWARE, the HD7770 is a tier above the GTX280 for performance so it would be closer to a GTX285:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-car...
m
0
l
a c 173 U Graphics card
October 31, 2012 4:55:25 PM

I own two GTX280 my self and a 256bit gtx 460 while a friend has a 7770, the gtx260 uses around 160-180w depending on the clocks and volts that has been set in its bios rom. The 460 is slightly less and the 7770 is only around 80-90w depending on the clocks. Performance wise all three cards are roughly the same until one begins to overclock. The 460 can very easily reach 850-900mhz and be the fastest of all three with the 7770 close behind. The 280 could do very high clocks but has to be heavily modded to allow for decent results. The down side to the gtx280 is the poor quality inductors used so many end up with the pink screen while most 460 end up with dead vrm phases due to no cooling. The 7770 is also limited due to imposed software limits on max clocks as well volts.

The 280 could hit up to 1.8ghz on the shader and outrun most cards that are around $100-120 when tweaked but uses well over 200w.

The 460 can do 850-900mhz but needs to be modded for improved power vrm stability.

The 7770 can do 1.2ghz on the core but the same problems as with the 460 could creep up if there is no vrm cooler.

On the side that 280 is as good as it gets for openGL performance and Linux support as it doesn't have HDMI to cause issues in some destros.
m
0
l
a c 147 U Graphics card
November 2, 2012 1:38:22 AM

nforce4max said:
I own two GTX280 my self and a 256bit gtx 460 while a friend has a 7770, the gtx260 uses around 160-180w depending on the clocks and volts that has been set in its bios rom. The 460 is slightly less and the 7770 is only around 80-90w depending on the clocks. Performance wise all three cards are roughly the same until one begins to overclock. The 460 can very easily reach 850-900mhz and be the fastest of all three with the 7770 close behind. The 280 could do very high clocks but has to be heavily modded to allow for decent results. The down side to the gtx280 is the poor quality inductors used so many end up with the pink screen while most 460 end up with dead vrm phases due to no cooling. The 7770 is also limited due to imposed software limits on max clocks as well volts.

The 280 could hit up to 1.8ghz on the shader and outrun most cards that are around $100-120 when tweaked but uses well over 200w.

The 460 can do 850-900mhz but needs to be modded for improved power vrm stability.

The 7770 can do 1.2ghz on the core but the same problems as with the 460 could creep up if there is no vrm cooler.

On the side that 280 is as good as it gets for openGL performance and Linux support as it doesn't have HDMI to cause issues in some destros.


Then considering how many generations NEWER the HD7770 is (driver support, game support), the power consumption (thus NOISE) and performance results can we all just vote now that the HD7770 is the way to go?
m
0
l
a c 173 U Graphics card
November 2, 2012 6:11:09 PM

photonboy said:
Then considering how many generations NEWER the HD7770 is (driver support, game support), the power consumption (thus NOISE) and performance results can we all just vote now that the HD7770 is the way to go?


Spoon feeding is no way to educate people especially here. Find that information on your own.
m
0
l
November 3, 2012 5:11:40 AM

photonboy said:
GTX280 vs HD7770

That HARDWARE COMPARE implies that the GTX280 is theoretically "far superior" ;while I can't find a benchmark with BOTH of them in it, I did find THIS data:

Passmark Scores:
GTX280-> 1356

HD7770-> 2170

I'm pretty sure we'd find that the HD7770 beats the GTX280 in raw performance, and blows it away for power consumption, noise and simply being far NEWER.

**According to TOMSHARDWARE, the HD7770 is a tier above the GTX280 for performance so it would be closer to a GTX285:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-car...







i personally seen these 2 cards in action, a friend of mine bought a hd7770 to be an upgrade for his old 280gtx.
it was a disappointment to him cos performes was downgraded
m
0
l
November 5, 2012 12:20:28 AM

I'm currently running a GTX 280 with an old i7-940. The psu is a Corsair HX1000W . The case ( CM Cosmos 1000) sits under my desk.

As the heating is broke at the moment I have to wear 2 jumpers but only 1 pair of shorts and no socks - what does that tell you ?
m
0
l
November 5, 2012 12:20:51 AM

Get the 7770 :sol: 
m
0
l
November 8, 2012 1:37:07 PM

lov u guys awsome ppl!!!!
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
November 8, 2012 2:08:04 PM

I have a gtx 285 and I love the card, but It these cards are way to power hungry for the amount of performance you actually get. I would go with the newer gen card. Im goin to be upgrading soon my self :p 
m
0
l
a c 173 U Graphics card
November 8, 2012 6:53:30 PM

zpwslayer said:
I have a gtx 285 and I love the card, but It these cards are way to power hungry for the amount of performance you actually get. I would go with the newer gen card. Im goin to be upgrading soon my self :p 


You better aim for at least a GTX660 or a 7850 or you will be disappointed.
m
0
l
a c 147 U Graphics card
November 13, 2012 12:57:48 AM

nforce4max said:
You better aim for at least a GTX660 or a 7850 or you will be disappointed.


He simply asked about the GTX280 vs HD7770. He's given no budget, no system specs, and no list of games and the quality he'd like to achieve.

We pretty much can only comment on the 280/7770 comparison.
m
0
l
!