Time to upgrade

Hey all, I'm afraid the time has come to get rid of the old Phenom 965 and upgrade. Here is what I am considering. My current board only supports socket AM3 so I cannot keep it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131754

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103961

On top of this, I eventually plan on throwing in another 6850. If anyone has any other suggestions please let me know.
6 answers Last reply
More about time upgrade
  1. Go for the FX-8320 or the FX-8350 instead, the FX-8150 isn't really worth purchasing.

A good cost effective option might be the FX-6300 so you might want to consider that as well.
  2. g-unit1111 said:
    Go for the FX-8320 or the FX-8350 instead, the FX-8150 isn't really worth purchasing.

A good cost effective option might be the FX-6300 so you might want to consider that as well.

Awesome thank you, I might as well spend the extra 20 bucks on the 8320
  3. markusfata said:
    Awesome thank you, I might as well spend the extra 20 bucks on the 8320

Yeah Bulldozer has a lot of bad press associated with it, I've actually used Piledriver and it's a huge improvement.
  4. g-unit1111 said:
    Yeah Bulldozer has a lot of bad press associated with it, I've actually used Piledriver and it's a huge improvement.

I have also heard many good things about Piledriver. Thanks for the insight, I was a bit skeptical on whether I should go with AMD again or try an i7.

The motherboard I'm getting says it also supports Phenom II even though it is an AM3+ board, so would I be okay getting that now and just using my 965 for a little longer until I can get the 8320?
  5. Yeah the CPU works with AM3+, you will need to update your motherboard's BIOS before installing the CPU.
  6. g-unit1111 said:
    Yeah the CPU works with AM3+, you will need to update your motherboard's BIOS before installing the CPU.

Awesome. I'm going to order this first then, would I have to update the BIOS before installing the CPU to the board? If so how would I go about this?
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Socket Phenom Systems Product