Trouble starting new build

JSD13

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
Hello all. I just build a new system with the following specs:

Intel Core i5 3570K 3.4GHz LGA 1155 Processor

Samsung 840-Series MZ-7TD120BW 120GB SATA 6.0Gb/s 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Biostar TZ77XE4 LGA 1155 ATX Intel Motherboard

Corsair Vengeance Series 16GB DDR3-1600 (PC3-12800) CL10 Dual Channel Desktop Memory Kit (Two 8GB Memory Modules)

HIS H777F1G2M iCooler Radeon HD 7770 1024MB GDDR5 PCIe 3.0 x16 Video Card

OCZ Technology ModXStream Pro 600W Modular ATX Power Supply

Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver Thermal Compound

Thermaltake Silent Intel LGA1156 CPU Cooler with 4-Pin PWM Function

I had a few issues when putting it together, most notably the lack of IDE port on the mobo. I have 3 HDDs from my old system. One was an IDE drive. Two are SATA drives. I am not sure which has the OS, but trying to boot without the IDE drive isnt working. The IDE drive had no jumpers on it (slave?)

Does that sound like the IDE drive would have the OS on it? I can get one of those adapters for now if that will work. Once Im up and running I plan to install the OS onto the SSD.

no board uses IDE anymore. only asrock with their fatal1ty series has a single ide port.

just get a legit copy of windows and directly install it onto the OS. then connect the other drives to the rig after you have installed windows

now to comment on your specs

-there are better boards for the money
-the 840 sucks. the 830 is a better SSD
-why 16gb of ram for a gaming system?
-should have saved money by using a non-k chip and a h77 board so that you can buy a 7870 and get way more performance
-ocz makes bad psus. should have gotten something from seasonic

JSD13

Distinguished
May 28, 2009

I wound up installing a fresh copy of Windows onto the SSD soI dont have a use for the old IDE drive anymore.

As for the system, why not 16gigs? The SSD seemed to get decent reviews. The PSU got pretty good reviews too. Guess I'll wait and see.

You have no idea what I paid so I think its rather funny that you say there are better x for the money. I got that board for $69. Whole system for $660.

JSD13

Distinguished
May 28, 2009

I game but not like I used to which is why I didnt feel the need to spend $100 more than I did. I play SC2 and thats pretty much it these days.

My PSU failed on my last rig so I just decided to do a little refresher.

because more ram is useless in a gaming build

the ssd is a step back from the 830. uses usb nand flash and only has 1000 write cycles compared to 3000 found on the 830

yes there is better for the money. if a manufacturer cannot put their connectors in the right spot (usb 3 location is pathetic), it evidently shows it quality

JSD13

Distinguished
May 28, 2009

Is the 830 even available anymore? I am not even using USB 3.0 as the case has no plug for it, but if I were I dont see whats so bad about the location of it.

Pretty sure this machine will suit me just fine and I am happy with what I spent on it.