Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Going to the green team but how

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
October 31, 2012 2:36:46 PM

Hello,

Ive got the option to gget a gtx570 for 150 dollars. Vanilla msi vesion.

since the release I have been looking at the gtx660 I can pickup the SOC EVGA or GB windforce for 229 + tax

The 570 is looking really good right now what does everyone think

I realise the exact gap between the cards performance wise and I am having a hard time justifying 80 dollars plus tax for the extra performance.

1 1920x1080 screen

games
Boaderlands 2
replay crysis 2 and crysis warhead
and probly DOW 2 again
hawx 2
bullet storm
dirt 1-3 (should I buy a controller?)
battlefield 2 AND 3

Im deffinately going green here so let me know what you think and quick 3 hours before I close the thread annd buy the card.

More about : green team

a b Î Nvidia
October 31, 2012 2:45:03 PM

I'd go GTX 570. They are so close in performance, and the small memory bus on GTX 660 doesn't help. Extra VRAM isn't needed either for current games.
m
0
l
October 31, 2012 2:49:10 PM

I would go AMD. The AMD 7870 is less than the GTX 570 and has better performance. It can also be overclocked alot. It beats overclocked 670s and gets to performances just below the stock 680. Just something to think about before going green team.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
October 31, 2012 4:43:04 PM

What have you been smoking dude.. HD 7870 is slower than GTX 580. And it's certainly more expensive - much more expensive than GTX 570 in OPs case.
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
October 31, 2012 4:53:42 PM

The 570 isn't a bad deal for $150. Be aware that you will run out of video memory if you run Crysis 2 on ultra with high resolution textures. You need 1.6 to 1.8 GB for that. Same thing if you want to run Battlefield 3 on ultra. The more demanding titles are starting to use more than 1.2 GB of video memory at 1080p resolution. So if you are looking to max out the latest titles, you may want to get a card with 2GB of video memory.
m
0
l
October 31, 2012 5:10:30 PM

Limerick said:
I would go AMD. The AMD 7870 is less than the GTX 570 and has better performance. It can also be overclocked alot. It beats overclocked 670s and gets to performances just below the stock 680. Just something to think about before going green team.


Im sorry but nothing in your comment is true.

The 570 in this case is $150, 7870 is ~$200 AFTER rebate on newegg. Again he is getting his 570 cheaper than retail.
(We aren't talking in general. Plus current 570s are about $220.)

also a stock 7870 does not beat a stock 670, nor an overclocked 670. In fact the 670 can OC just as good in most cases better depending on the chip you receive.

For that price, a 570 should be a no brainer, although it is a generation behind now, gets hotter and uses more power.
m
0
l
October 31, 2012 5:29:43 PM

swifty I was about to go buy the 570 in a few minutes... hmm
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
October 31, 2012 5:29:52 PM

m
0
l
October 31, 2012 5:40:56 PM

Sunius said:
What have you been smoking dude.. HD 7870 is slower than GTX 580. And it's certainly more expensive - much more expensive than GTX 570 in OPs case.

No. Overclocked the 7870 can, and does beat 670s and come below 680s. Look it up.
m
0
l
October 31, 2012 5:41:49 PM

yarmock said:
Im sorry but nothing in your comment is true.

The 570 in this case is $150, 7870 is ~$200 AFTER rebate on newegg. Again he is getting his 570 cheaper than retail.
(We aren't talking in general. Plus current 570s are about $220.)

also a stock 7870 does not beat a stock 670, nor an overclocked 670. In fact the 670 can OC just as good in most cases better depending on the chip you receive.

For that price, a 570 should be a no brainer, although it is a generation behind now, gets hotter and uses more power.


spentshells said:
swifty I was about to go buy the 570 in a few minutes... hmm


I would also get the 660.

I would honestly also get the 570 and sell it on eBay for at least $200 and make some profit while you are at it.
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
October 31, 2012 5:43:26 PM

spentshells said:
swifty I was about to go buy the 570 in a few minutes... hmm



sorry but you gotta call'em like you see'um.
m
0
l
October 31, 2012 5:44:21 PM

Just get the 570, you won't have VRAM issues... by the time you hit vram issues with all those settings maxed out... you won't be getting good fps anyway...

So you wouldn't have them maxed anyhow.
m
0
l
October 31, 2012 5:45:17 PM

Limerick said:
No. Overclocked the 7870 can, and does beat 670s and come below 680s. Look it up.


You seem to forget that the 670 and 680 both overclock very well.

I would love to see the benchmarks to back up your argument.
m
0
l
October 31, 2012 5:46:08 PM

yarmock said:
a 7970 non GHZ edition is slightly faster than a 680. Are you saying an overclocked 7870 is also faster than a 7970?


I would love to see the benchmarks to back up your argument.

Yes. It can go just a bit over the 7970 at stock. The max anyone has gotten one and stayed stable is at 1325 MHz.
m
0
l
October 31, 2012 6:01:50 PM

Limerick said:
Yes. It can go just a bit over the 7970 at stock. The max anyone has gotten one and stayed stable is at 1325 MHz.


You make some bold statements, I hope you have some credible evidence :) 

I vote the 660, does make that bit of difference in the games that need the extra VRAM plus cooler less power etc
m
0
l
October 31, 2012 6:08:00 PM

paddys09 said:
You make some bold statements, I hope you have some credible evidence :) 

I vote the 660, does make that bit of difference in the games that need the extra VRAM plus cooler less power etc


The 570 is about $80 cheaper than the 660.. yes the 660 is better, but not by much definitely not $80 better.

If he was buying a 570 for ~220-230 (what they are going for on newegg) or a 660 also in the same price range i would say go with the 660. But he isn't he can get the 570 for $150.
m
0
l
October 31, 2012 6:13:55 PM

Derza10 said:
The 570 is about $80 cheaper than the 660.. yes the 660 is better, but not by much definitely not $80 better.

If he was buying a 570 for ~220-230 (what they are going for on newegg) or a 660 also in the same price range i would say go with the 660. But he isn't he can get the 570 for $150.


Yea fair point, for the money that 570 is a better deal... still think the 660 is worth considering if starting from scratch though
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
October 31, 2012 6:25:29 PM

yarmock said:
You seem to forget that the 670 and 680 both overclock very well.

I would love to see the benchmarks to back up your argument.

So would I, what rubbish. I don't care if they were latest drivers or not the 7870 isn't gonna be a GTX 670 or 680. Now way NO HOW
m
0
l
October 31, 2012 6:35:42 PM

Rockdpm said:
So would I, what rubbish. I don't care if they were latest drivers or not the 7870 isn't gonna be a GTX 670 or 680. Now way NO HOW


Maybe thats what he meant by a warped sense of humor, If you replace the word "humor" with "reality" then everything he said makes sense ;) 
m
0
l
October 31, 2012 6:40:15 PM

I'd go with the 570, fantastic card and that sounds like a great deal.
m
0
l
October 31, 2012 6:48:36 PM

paddys09 said:
Maybe thats what he meant by a warped sense of humor, If you replace the word "humor" with "reality" then everything he said makes sense ;) 

OK, Ok, no need to go that far. I did some more looking into it and I couldn't find the benchmarks to prove it. I read it somewhere then couldn't find. Green team wins this time lol. Maybe next year?
m
0
l
October 31, 2012 6:59:23 PM

Limerick said:
OK, Ok, no need to go that far. I did some more looking into it and I couldn't find the benchmarks to prove it. I read it somewhere then couldn't find. Green team wins this time lol. Maybe next year?


Yea didn't mean to offend, my sense of humor isn't that great either as you can probably tell :lol: 

It was just a comment that was going to get picked up on by somebody eventually, if the 7870 was that good then everyone would have one...

Good card though and is better than a 660 in most instances, just not 670/680 performance levels
m
0
l
October 31, 2012 7:05:50 PM

paddys09 said:
Yea didn't mean to offend, my sense of humor isn't that great either as you can probably tell :lol: 

It was just a comment that was going to get picked up on by somebody eventually, if the 7870 was that good then everyone would have one...

Good card though and is better than a 660 in most instances, just not 670/680 performance levels

Agreed. It would be nice if someone could send me the highest OC benchmark on it though. All I know about it is from fellow forum members and some articles. It's the one card in the AMD lineup I know least about.
m
0
l
October 31, 2012 7:33:15 PM

Limerick said:
Agreed. It would be nice if someone could send me the highest OC benchmark on it though. All I know about it is from fellow forum members and some articles. It's the one card in the AMD lineup I know least about.


I found this article from HardOCP. Read the 4 game benchmarks(excluding multiplayer of BF3) for results and charts.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/07/02/asus_radeon_h...

They could get it up to 1325 after applying a voltage tweak, but in order to benchmark had to dial down to 1300MHz, which is still 300MHz above stock, and 200MHz above the asus in this article.

Even overclocked that much, the 670 beat it at 2560x1600. Sadly they don't have 1080p results but im sure they would be close as well.

So while it can overclock very well, its still beat by the 670. Even though its a small margin of defeat in 3 of those 4 benchmarks.

Edit: The 7870 used in that article is $260 or $270. Newegg has 2 models, not sure of the differences besides model #.

Overall I am very impressed with that overclock. As I will be in the market for a new GPU this December the 7870 will definitely get a good looking in to.
m
0
l
October 31, 2012 7:46:16 PM

Damn. a lot of comments on this...

Here's the short TRUTH!!!!

I had 1 GTX 570 for a while, played BF3 at 1080p on ALMOST everything maxed out no probs.

a 570 is about as fast as a 660

it can OC, but I had issues with driver crash during BF3 so i brought it back to stock to remedy

at $150, I would say it's the BEST deal for the performance hands down.

If you SLI, it'll almost be as fast as a 680, yes i did the research and can attest with my system...
m
0
l
October 31, 2012 7:47:49 PM

yarmock said:
I found this article from HardOCP. Read the 4 game benchmarks(excluding multiplayer of BF3) for results and charts.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/07/02/asus_radeon_h...

They could get it up to 1325 after applying a voltage tweak, but in order to benchmark had to dial down to 1300MHz, which is still 300MHz above stock, and 200MHz above the asus in this article.

Even overclocked that much, the 670 beat it at 2560x1600. Sadly they don't have 1080p results but im sure they would be close as well.

So while it can overclock very well, its still beat by the 670. Even though its a small margin of defeat in 3 of those 4 benchmarks.

Edit: The 7870 used in that article is $260 or $270. Newegg has 2 models, not sure of the differences besides model #.

Overall I am very impressed with that overclock. As I will be in the market for a new GPU this December the 7870 will definitely get a good looking in to.
From what I can see, the 7870 isn't a good OC card because it runs at 1ghz stock, still better OC than the nvidia cards this generation but its the worst card for OC from AMD above the 77XXs. Almost all cards reach about 1200-1300mhz so the lower stock clocked cards are the real overclocking beasts. 7950s that run at 1200+ core matches overclocked 680s in performance which is where the real good overclocking card of this generation.

in regards to that article Im surprised a $250 card came close to beating a $400 card just with overclock, thats means it beats the 7950 above it and matched the 7970. Last generation people said the 560ti OCing to the performance of the 570 was good overclocking but this generation, going up 2 tiers from a mediocre overclocking card is pretty amazing.
m
0
l
October 31, 2012 7:49:47 PM

@ OP
The 660 isn't wrorth $80 over a 570. its pretty clear that its performance is only about 5% better, paying 40% more money for 5% more performance really isn't really worth it.
m
0
l
October 31, 2012 7:53:47 PM

yarmock said:
I found this article from HardOCP. Read the 4 game benchmarks(excluding multiplayer of BF3) for results and charts.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/07/02/asus_radeon_h...

They could get it up to 1325 after applying a voltage tweak, but in order to benchmark had to dial down to 1300MHz, which is still 300MHz above stock, and 200MHz above the asus in this article.

Even overclocked that much, the 670 beat it at 2560x1600. Sadly they don't have 1080p results but im sure they would be close as well.

So while it can overclock very well, its still beat by the 670. Even though its a small margin of defeat in 3 of those 4 benchmarks.

Edit: The 7870 used in that article is $260 or $270. Newegg has 2 models, not sure of the differences besides model #.

Overall I am very impressed with that overclock. As I will be in the market for a new GPU this December the 7870 will definitely get a good looking in to.

Thanks. I have crossfire 7950s at 1235MHz. They're pretty good. Especially with that overclock. It's worth looking into if you're wanting a new gpu.
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
October 31, 2012 7:55:12 PM

The 570 is a good deal, provided the OP has no interest in turning on high res textures in certain games, and trying to run Crysis 2 or Witcher 2 on ultra, both of which are possible on the 570 if you are okay with dipping below 60FPS on occasion. Yes there are significant cost savings now, but in a year's time he may be wishing for that extra 800MB of video RAM. The 570 may not be the best upgrade in the long term because of VRAM limitations. Just something to keep in mind.
m
0
l
Anonymous
a b Î Nvidia
October 31, 2012 7:55:34 PM

ittimjones said:

at $150, I would say it's the BEST deal for the performance hands down.


all that needs to be said. spentshells if you don't get it, PM me please. i am just on the other side of lake erie.
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
October 31, 2012 8:05:05 PM

yarmock said:
I found this article from HardOCP. Read the 4 game benchmarks(excluding multiplayer of BF3) for results and charts.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/07/02/asus_radeon_h...

They could get it up to 1325 after applying a voltage tweak, but in order to benchmark had to dial down to 1300MHz, which is still 300MHz above stock, and 200MHz above the asus in this article.

Even overclocked that much, the 670 beat it at 2560x1600. Sadly they don't have 1080p results but im sure they would be close as well.

So while it can overclock very well, its still beat by the 670. Even though its a small margin of defeat in 3 of those 4 benchmarks.

Edit: The 7870 used in that article is $260 or $270. Newegg has 2 models, not sure of the differences besides model #.

Overall I am very impressed with that overclock. As I will be in the market for a new GPU this December the 7870 will definitely get a good looking in to.
Really impressive :D  one thing i can never figure out is i never see or know anybody that has these cards running stable @ overclocks like these reviews :( 
m
0
l
October 31, 2012 8:14:15 PM

bigcyco1 said:
Really impressive :D  one thing i can never figure out is i never see or know anybody that has these cards running stable @ overclocks like these reviews :( 

Im pretty sure a lot of people can get those overclocks but most probably chooses to use lower frequencies so they don't stress their card. Given that, there are also nobody complaining about their card not being able to OC well. Im guessing its just not something most people post about.
m
0
l
October 31, 2012 9:32:00 PM

thanks for all the input I checked msgs all the way to go buy the 570 (1 block from 66 computer store) nad I will use the 570 untill Jan or Feb then sell the whole rig.
570 will do for now at 1080P.


Side note seller has two 570s for sale 150 each or 2 for 280
watched battle field in sli on a 27" 1080P monitor AND FRANKLY it was awesome
I hope that did not spoil me as I am going to setup the 570 tonight and do a quick bench.

I was seeing just shy 0f 18,000 points on 3dmark 06 and cant remember for 2011 so ill run that first before the old 5770 gets retired and I revisit my game collection on high/ultra 1920x 1080

Oh yeah the seller was a tweaker and his system was clean as a wistle 2600K 4.5Ghz 16gb of ram SLI 570's

My current setup is getting long in the tooth and will go out the door before my birthday

Thanks for all the input 570 ftw
m
0
l
October 31, 2012 9:55:41 PM

Good stuff :)  im running 570's in SLi and have been very pleased so far, Waiting for next gen keplers before I upgrade...Tough call but probably the better choice in the long run especially if you have similar plans...

They seem to be better in computational tasks in my experience and many programs still dont even recognize keplers.. let us know how your benches go..

m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
October 31, 2012 9:57:21 PM

esrever said:
Im pretty sure a lot of people can get those overclocks but most probably chooses to use lower frequencies so they don't stress their card. Given that, there are also nobody complaining about their card not being able to OC well. Im guessing its just not something most people post about.
Maybe so that makes sense to me.It just seems many talk about it but it's hardly ever seen.
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
October 31, 2012 10:02:59 PM

spentshells said:
thanks for all the input I checked msgs all the way to go buy the 570 (1 block from 66 computer store) nad I will use the 570 untill Jan or Feb then sell the whole rig.
570 will do for now at 1080P.


Side note seller has two 570s for sale 150 each or 2 for 280
watched battle field in sli on a 27" 1080P monitor AND FRANKLY it was awesome
I hope that did not spoil me as I am going to setup the 570 tonight and do a quick bench.

I was seeing just shy 0f 18,000 points on 3dmark 06 and cant remember for 2011 so ill run that first before the old 5770 gets retired and I revisit my game collection on high/ultra 1920x 1080

Oh yeah the seller was a tweaker and his system was clean as a wistle 2600K 4.5Ghz 16gb of ram SLI 570's

My current setup is getting long in the tooth and will go out the door before my birthday

Thanks for all the input 570 ftw
Congrats! :D 
m
0
l
!