Closed Solved

New gaming monitor

Hey i was wondering what monitor i should upgrade too..

im thinking about this ASUS
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236174

they also have a 23" and 24" but i figured id go in the middle and get this 23.6"

i play at 1080

Phenom II x4 955 4.0 GHz
gigabyte 970 mobo
XFX Radeon 6850
Antec 650w

im upgrading my GPU to a 670 come early 2013
itd be nice to use higher resolution screen but they get real expensive.

any suggestions or advice?

thanks ahead of time
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about gaming monitor
  1. Basically any 1080p monitor would do it for gaming, except if you want to use 3D technologies.

Everything about contrast ratio, refresh rate, latency, response time are all, sorry for my word, ''Crap''...
    They are only marketing gimmicks that makes you think that they are superior, and gives a reason to increase the price. :fou:
    Dynamic contrast ratio has different ways to be calculated, and some companies ''cheat'' and puts numbers higher than the average, because its measured differently.

If every monitor were measured properly, the best monitor's contrast ratio would be around 50000:1.

But one thing is not marketing gimmicks. That is your screen's maximum luminosity, which is measured in cd/m2.
    Any monitor above 190 cd/m2 are ok for gaming, but if you are using your monitor in a bright room or directly within the sun's rays, you could buy 250 cd/m2 monitors or even 300 cd/m2.
    Don't forget that you can always turn the brightness down, but if you reach the maximum, there is no way to increase it. So it would be best to leave a little headroom.

So find a well balanced monitor, that comes from a reputable company, and has high review score.

-Hope it helps! :)
    Bloc97
  2. Best answer
    Update :
    I can take your choosed monitor as an example to show you their little marketing gimmicks tricks.

If you look closely to the response time and the contrast ratio, you can see that they only look nice, but wouldn't be really those numbers.

Contrast Ratio: 50,000,000:1 ASUS Smart Contrast Ratio
    -This would only be in the best conditions, and with ASUS Smart Contrast Ratio enabled, which dims/brightens the screen to "fake" higher contrast ratio.

Response Time: 2ms (Gray to Gray)
    -This one mislead a lot of people. Screen Response Time should be measured in White to Black to White, and not in Gray to Gray. It takes a pixel longer time to change from White to Black, than between different shades of Gray.
    So basically they are telling you the details of their faked test, but only somewhere that you won't noticed it or telling you in a way that you wouldn't understand.

-Bloc97
  3. bloc97 said:
    Update :
    I can take your choosed monitor as an example to show you their little marketing gimmicks tricks.

If you look closely to the response time and the contrast ratio, you can see that they only look nice, but wouldn't be really those numbers.

Contrast Ratio: 50,000,000:1 ASUS Smart Contrast Ratio
    -This would only be in the best conditions, and with ASUS Smart Contrast Ratio enabled, which dims/brightens the screen to "fake" higher contrast ratio.

Response Time: 2ms (Gray to Gray)
    -This one mislead a lot of people. Screen Response Time should be measured in White to Black to White, and not in Gray to Gray. It takes a pixel longer time to change from White to Black, than between different shades of Gray.
    So basically they are telling you the details of their faked test, but only somewhere that you won't noticed it or telling you in a way that you wouldn't understand.

-Bloc97

Alright thank you

that ASUS i was looking at has a 300 cd/m2 plus it received 5/5 eggs on newegg.
    i will probably get that one.

I use a DVI cable now.. but i was wondering what is the fastest cable.. out of the VGA DVI and HDMI?
    I also use HDMI to to connect to my TV for a second monitor but use my PC monitor (even though it is lower resolution) just because it looks much nicer for some reason.. probably due to the fact that it was build for PC..
  4. Best answer selected by thejamiel.
  5. thejamiel said:
    ...I use a DVI cable now.. but i was wondering what is the fastest cable.. out of the VGA DVI and HDMI?[...]

Actually you cannot say which cable is faster, since they are just different. VGA uses a analogue signal, which basically gives infinite amount of resolution, but can get signal warping/distortion, since it is analogue. DVI is older than HDMI, but they both use the same signal type, with the only exception being DVI-A, which use an analogue signal.

The only visible difference between Dual-Link DVI-I and HDMI is the lack of sound transfer on the DVI connector. HDMI can carry a 5.1 surround sound, but DVI cannot.

Also, thanks for the best answer! :)
    -Bloc97
Ask a new question

Read More

Radeon Gaming Monitors Graphics Product